Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

^^ The only thing that comes to mind is WHY

Well its clearly to impress all youre friends, didnt it impress you? That guy is deadly :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I have to say, I would rather be in Tehrir square on this night right now. Party over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Those last two videos amuse me greatly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Now I dunno if this is a record, but it makes me wince.

I tried looking for heavier ones but most heavy ones look like very short ROM squats to me, they barely tilt forward and come back up. Are there any other videos going below parallel like this, but heavier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

^^jesus crazy.Some of the westside pl guys throw around some mad weight with the suspended chain gm's.Beastly to watch!

just let it go Tony..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Remmy wrote: »
    just let it go Tony..

BaaaaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... That was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Squats make your legs grow eh? Couldn't be bothered opening a can of worms thread again but read this study

http://jap.physiology.org/content/108/1/60.full%27

tldr: training arms without squats is more effective then training arms with squats

Squats make your legs grow eh? Couldn't be bothered opening a can of worms thread again but read this study

http://jap.physiology.org/content/108/1/60.full%27

tldr: training arms without squats is more effective then training arms with squats

Wheres the study to say that squats is the best way to increase grip strength :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

anyone got any results from the IDFPA single lifts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thats not how I understood it, but I might have picked it up wrongly, its always like another language reading these studies!

Reading the abstract first I (wrongly) thought one group was only doing arm exercises, and the other did arms and then legs. The ones doing only arms increased arms cross section area by 12%, and the arms & legs group increased 10%. They did not view this as significant though.
    Despite vast differences in hormone availability in the immediate postexercise period, we found no differences in the increases in strength or hypertrophy in muscle exercised under low or high hormone conditions after 15 wk of resistance training.

Then reading the full text it seemed there were not 2 groups, all the guys worked out one arm one day (LH) and on another day they worked out the other arm and then the legs after (HH). I thought it would be better to have 2 groups, one doing just arms, and the other arms and then legs.

So all I conclude is there may be no difference doing arm work and then legs straight after, or doing arms & legs on a different day. I still have no idea from the study if leaving out leg work competely is better/worse for arm gains -everybody worked out legs.

They went on to say
    We found no additional strength improvements in the arm trained under the HH condition, which is in contrast to a study (10) that is commonly cited
    This is "study 10" http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0838.2001.110606.x/abstract;jsessionid=3DD92AE1F1F4CC6A3190FC59BFA02E33.d03t02
    Now in this study they did have 2 groups, both only trained one arm, but one trained legs straight after that single arm. The guys doing legs & arms did get stronger (the groups with L below).
    Isometric strength increased significantly in LAT and LAC by 37% and 10%, respectively, while the 9% and 2% increases in AT and AC, respectively, remained insignificant.
    That study is flawed too though, said they tried to match the groups but the leg group were stronger to begin with. I don't see them as being in total contrast as they were so different.

Then they did light leg work 3sets 15-30reps 30%1RM, one group did this normally, the other had thighs occluded (think tight knee wraps on the thighs to partially restrict blood flow).

The guys with no restricted blood flow had no gains in arms or legs. The guys with thigh wraps got stronger legs AND arms. Now occlusion is know to increase strength at low intensities, but this was showing it was also effecting the arms which were worked out unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Have a quick question but not sure it warranted a thread of its own....

when doing certain exercises designed to work my chest i can never feel my chest actually working, it never hurts after the exercise etc (apart from when i lean forward when doing dips!) Take benching for example, I feel my arms/shoulders getting sore after a few reps but just nothing really on my chest. Same thing when doing DB flies, presses and even push ups.

Any insight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Have a quick question but not sure it warranted a thread of its own....

when doing certain exercises designed to work my chest i can never feel my chest actually working, it never hurts after the exercise etc (apart from when i lean forward when doing dips!) Take benching for example, I feel my arms/shoulders getting sore after a few reps but just nothing really on my chest. Same thing when doing DB flies, presses and even push ups.

Any insight?

try slowing the movement down and really concentrate on using your chest to move the weight.at the top of the movement try to squeeze your pecs together,pause then lower the weight.you should definitely feel it more with the isolation exercises like the flies.on the flat bench press you might be taking the bar down to high on the chest...try to bring it down to your nipples(easier on the shoulders)
    you'll probably need to lower the weight to try this but as your form improves you will move back up before you know it.
    let us know how you get on.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

If Clarence was to get some quality coaching that boy could do amazing things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Holy crap I looked at his other videos. Dude's a ninja...from Tralee!

Holy crap thats impressive!What a freak..

g'em wrote: »
    If Clarence was to get some quality coaching that boy could do amazing things...

He needs to get out of this dump.

We should adopt him in UL.....he might upset some of the locals though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

g'em wrote: »

He seems to be doing alright with the coaching he's getting!?

Am I missing something really obvious here, or is a dig being taken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

He's almost entirely self-coached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How much does this dude weigh? He looks < 80kg..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yup, according to his youtube account, hes 80.5kg and 17 years old.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Yup, according to his youtube account, hes 80.5kg and 17 years old.

Wow. Potentially the best ever to come out of Ireland.

Hopefully he goes to college close to somewhere he can get good coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Hanley wrote: »

And a Kerryman too! This kid really has everything going for him! :D

Yeah, Bulgaria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much does this dude weigh? He looks < 80kg..
    on some of his older stuff (like jumps etc above), he is less that that down near 70kg, but his newer stuff is @ 80kg. impreesive lifts there

He was lifting in the cork open last year. There's a video of him somewhere doing a backflip to celebrate his last snatch. Feckin lunatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Dont get to see his backflip tho

His comment under it is quality

• Advertisement

He had a comment asking him how much he benches, the reply...

"benching's for gays"

Dead Ed wrote: »
    He had a comment asking him how much he benches, the reply...

"benching's for gays"

Ha legend.Even though he prob doesnt spend too much time training it I doubt he has a shabby bench if he's c'j'ng and snatching those weights.

Remmy wrote: »
    Ha legend.Even though he prob doesnt spend too much time training it I doubt he has a shabby bench if he's c'j'ng and snatching those weights.

How do either of those lifts help your bench?

How do either of those lifts help your bench?

His upper back and shoulders have to be pretty strong to stabilise that weight overhead.right?

Anyway regardless of what he benches he's a pure beast.

Thats the best thing to do while training for the leapfrog olympics.

leapfrog.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

I'm not sure which is worse - the squat itself, or some of the comments saying there is nothing wrong with it

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/18084

podge57 wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is worse - the squat itself, or some of the comments saying there is nothing wrong with it

I'm sick of seeing fat c*nts squat 3x bodyweight miles high in an absolute ton of equipment.

It's a f*cking disgrace that he got that lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I'm sick of seeing fat c*nts squat 3x bodyweight miles high in an absolute ton of equipment.

Genunine Question.

To my untrained eye it looked like he "just" got to parallel, it this not the case or is he required to get below parallel for a good lift?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Why are people allowed to wear any type of equipment in comps? When did it first start and what effect did it have on totals?

I presume records were broken left, right and centre once they were introduced, yeah?

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Why are people allowed to wear any type of equipment in comps? When did it first start and what effect did it have on totals?

I presume records were broken left, right and centre once they were introduced, yeah?

Why – because it’s allowed, and if you don’t do it, you’re bringing a knife to a gun fight. It’s all great fun and adds a new element to lifting and training. It originally started as an injury prevention mechanism, original bench shirts were really light material compared to what guys are wearing now.

When – it’s always been around. There’s all these raw purists in PL who want a return to the good oul days, well guess what – guys have been wrapping their knees, or wrapping tennis balls in there, or wrapping themselves in bed sheets to try and get extra support.

Records – different feds hold different records, so there’s raw, single ply and multi ply records. The raw ones haven’t moved much over the past 20+ years –a s you’d expect like… Records probably aren’t going to be shattered. Equipped ones are moving up much more rapidly for sure. It’s down to better equipment, higher skill level with htat equipment, and better training methods to utilize the equipment more effectively.

For me, when I first started lifting I got maybe 15-20kg out of a bench shirt. Then I started training for it, learned how to use it and refined everything to give myself a better shot of max carryover, I was getting around 40-50kg at that stage. Then I just went nuts with training for it and really started to push my limits - I ended up pulling 60-70kg out of it at that stage. In equipped comps, everyone has access to the same equipment. If I beat a guy with a stronger raw press, I still consider myself a better lifter, purely because I’ve spent the time training the right way for that comp. If I dedicated my time to training my raw bench it may have been better, but that doesn’t matter a damn once you’re on the platform.

mmmm

Genunine Question.

To my untrained eye it looked like he "just" got to parallel, it this not the case or is he required to get below parallel for a good lift?

He was nowhere near parallel. Parallel, in generally accepted squatting terms, is where if you drew a line from the crease of your hip to top of your knee, a line parallel to the ground would be formed. Pretty much the top of your quad appearing parallel to the floor for most people.

The line between the base of his knee and bottom of his glue looks to be parallel to the ground – but that seems to be what most general gym goers consider parallel. That’s fine if you want to judge your own depth and progress that way, but it doesn’t cut it for competitive judged lifting. Or at least, it shouldn’t.

And anyway… a parallel squat still isn’t a legal one. You have to break parallel – ie the crease at your hip below the top of your knee. He didn’t even get close to that. It’s all these f*cking backwater US feds who want big records, have lads refereeing their mates and generally care more about back slapping and good vibes than legit lifts and hard calls that cause all this sh!te.

Guys seem to be rewarded for just training hard and showing up, rather than doing the lifts to the standard required.

mmmm

Not high... Not THAT fat... single ply... walked out... oh and drug free :D

So... bite me! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

He was nowhere near parallel. Parallel, in generally accepted squatting terms, is where if you drew a line from the crease of your hip to top of your knee, a line parallel to the ground would be formed. Pretty much the top of your quad appearing parallel to the floor for most people.

The line between the base of his knee and bottom of his glue looks to be parallel to the ground – but that seems to be what most general gym goers consider parallel. That’s fine if you want to judge your own depth and progress that way, but it doesn’t cut it for competitive judged lifting. Or at least, it shouldn’t.

And anyway… a parallel squat still isn’t a legal one. You have to break parallel – ie the crease at your hip below the top of your knee. He didn’t even get close to that. It’s all these f*cking backwater US feds who want big records, have lads refereeing their mates and generally care more about back slapping and good vibes than legit lifts and hard calls that cause all this sh!te.

Guys seem to be rewarded for just training hard and showing up, rather than doing the lifts to the standard required.

Cheers Hanely. I used to gauge the squat dept from whether the top of the thighs (quads) seemed parallel with the floor (would a spirit level placed on the quad register level).

So from your definintion, I can see now where I was wrong.

And it is noticeable from the video of Hanely squatting that he was much lower the the other video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

And it is noticeable from the video of Hanely squatting that he was much lower the the other video.

Yeah of all the fat ba5tards who squatted high in gear Hanley was always the lowest:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's shocking alright. Have you ever seen anyone get the reds for depth on a 1000 pound attempt though? It's all a bit set up as a show off for the federation as far as I can figure out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

kevpants wrote: »
    Yeah of all the fat ba5tards who squatted high in gear Hanley was always the lowest:D

Ill fix that....L im buying you a squat suit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

podge57 wrote: »

Just on this. Someone posted a hilarious template on PLwatch in one of these high squat threads. Went something like:
    I know <lifter name> and he's a <christian/marine/family man> who would never look to have a high squat passed....

It was a full response though I just can't remember the rest. There was the obligatory line about it being a great achievement to even handle that weight. Yeah cos that's the sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

kevpants wrote: »
    Just on this. Someone posted a hilarious template on PLwatch in one of these high squat threads. Went something like:

It was a full response though I just can't remember the rest. There was the obligatory line about it being a great achievement to even handle that weight. Yeah cos that's the sport!

Haha, I think that started from this thred/post, and has turned into a bit of a meme:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14229
    You guys/gals/anonymous just do not know when enough is enough. Rob is the nicest guy you will ever meet. He is a very good friend of mine, who I have trained with for many years. Why would he post a video...so someone on here can further find a reason to insult his accomplishment? Yeah, I know we have freedom of speech...that is why I serve this great country of ours...so we can say and pretty much do what the hell we want. But it is what some of you do with "said freedoms" that really bothers me.

Forum Topic: Robert Wilkerson hits 2nd Biggest Raw Squat Ever

Appropriate Response: Congrats Big Rob!!

Lets get back on topic ladies and gentlemen.

Michael Green
    "Top G"
    "I am not perfect. Just forgiven."
    Semper Fi
    www.AndersonPowerlifting.com

and then someone posted this on a different forum:
    I am requesting this thread be taken down. As a fan and friend of Robert Wilkerson, I feel deeply offended by everyones attacks on him. The squat was perfect. If you don't want to accept it you need to shut your mouth. Robert Wilkerson is one of the nicest people you will ever meet IN YOUR LIFE. How DARE YOU insult HIM AND THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, yes I've been reading through your thread, your little inside joke is NOT FUNNY. MEN DIED FOR YOUR FREEDOM.

I'd really like to see one of YOU squat 950. If anything UNRACK IT. Wilkerson he is a good Christian man. Something none of you pieces of **** would ever understand.

The powerlifting community needs more people like Wilkerson and LESS PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

Just wait... 1000lb RAW SQUAT. It's COMING and it WILL BE TAPED, AND IT WILL BE DEEP.

And it grew from there

Also, 2 interesting facts about the SPF

1) they have rule which states lifts can't be recorded from the side (anyone guess why?)

2) The head judge for that lift made a post which says he judges depth by visualizing where the lifters thigh bone is, in order to make it fair for the fatties

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement