Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

grimloch wrote: »

Bollox.

Knees wrapped, miles high and probably not even 2.5x bodyweight. Unimpressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Hanley wrote: »
    Bollox.

Knees wrapped, miles high and probably not even 2.5x bodyweight. Unimpressed.

How does one judge depth again?Its something like the hip crease to middle of knee joint?To my uneducated eyes that looked right on parallel or a smidge below.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Remmy wrote: »
    How does one judge depth again?Its something like the hip crease to middle of knee joint?To my uneducated eyes that looked right on parallel or a smidge below.:eek:

agreed that would have been called good in alot of feds. (IPF aside) also its 1000lb squat which seems to be called good if you manage to bend the knees a little :)

also hanleys just angry cause he's not a powerlifter anymore...

agreed that would have been called good in alot of feds. (IPF aside) also its 1000lb squat which seems to be called good if you manage to bend the knees a little :)

also hanleys just angry cause he's not a powerlifter anymore...

I've always hated high squats.

Crease of the hip below the top of the knee. Look at the angle of his hamstrings, they're parallel to the floor. How can his hip have gone below his knee in the case?

ill be honest...for a minute... when i seen the still frame i thought someone had got Daz some fake tan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Isn't it make sure your arse goes below your knees? Obviously if you have a massive arse go lower.... :P

Crease of the hip below the top of the knee. Look at the angle of his hamstrings, they're parallel to the floor. How can his hip have gone below his knee in the case?
    mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Isn't it make sure your arse goes below your knees? Obviously if you have a massive arse go lower.... :P

^^

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

grimloch wrote: »

"Video has been removed by user" - Too much grief about squatting high?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Most likely. Was the lift done in the SPF? If so, it probably deserved to be ignored before seeing the vid. They don’t even let you film lifts from the side because it’d be super obvious that depth was never reached.

Most likely. Was the lift done in the SPF? If so, it probably deserved to be ignored before seeing the vid. They don’t even let you film lifts from the side because it’d be super obvious that depth was never reached.

Is this deja vu? Didn't this happen last week.....

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

SPF was written on the monolift alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

It was an SPF Pro/Am, chad Wesley smith squatted 860 which I would assume was a very deep squat judging by his past Squats. I'd say he'll squat a grand in the next year or 2 easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Just a quickie

These any good for running (threadmill AND outdoor) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asics-GEL-Nimbus-Running-Shoes-Size/dp/B003JW9F5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299521932&sr=8-1

I have money on amazon so want to buy them there. Pros and cos of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Da Za wrote: »
    It was an SPF Pro/Am, chad Wesley smith squatted 860 which I would assume was a very deep squat judging by his past Squats. I'd say he'll squat a grand in the next year or 2 easily.

He's starting to catch them higher.

He's also starting to look very like Chad Aichs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Convinced myself that the hotel gym where I live would have a squat rack. Should have known better, I was surprised to see they didn't even have a 7 foot bar

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Just saw Chad's Squats on his log and they were Deep. He is one strong boy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Last time someone accused told him he was squatting high he completely flipped the lid and started calling people racists etc.

If I didn't know better I'd say he's doing a magnificent job of trolling the internet powerlifting community.

Is this deja vu? Didn't this happen last week.....

Happens every week somewhere in the US...

Happens every week somewhere in the US...

Aye, was it the same guy though? Or was at a new "1000 pound Raw" squatter?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Just a quickie

These any good for running (threadmill AND outdoor) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asics-GEL-Nimbus-Running-Shoes-Size/dp/B003JW9F5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299521932&sr=8-1

I have money on amazon so want to buy them there. Pros and cos of them?

Your best bet is to try them on in a sports shop, it's the only way you can guarantee a good fit / good support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Your best bet is to try them on in a sports shop, it's the only way you can guarantee a good fit / good support.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. The store selling em on Amazon has a physical store in my city centre so will give em a try on first.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aye, was it the same guy though? Or was at a new "1000 pound Raw" squatter?

Lst week was a diff guy with an epic WR squat who went no where near parallel.

It seams, given the way certain federatinos judge squats, that the bet way to train for big squats if to just get really fat legs so your arse is almost at your knees when you get into sumo stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the opinion on lifting straps?
    I lost my chalk bag ages ago, and kinda stopped doing DLs as much. found some straps the other day.
    I know the immediat answer is, train without them your drip will get stonger. But i'm not looking to compete. I just want to use as much energy as possible to move the heaviest load as possible.
    I have girls hands, not just small but soft. I'm never going to have a strong grip.
    Straps are a bit awkward mio, but less messy compared to chalk. Straps don't rip the **** out of my hands as much.

Should I use them only double overhand, or is mixed just as good, better etc?
    Basically, I haven't a clue about them tbh.

Mellor wrote: »
    Whats the opinion on lifting straps?
    I lost my chalk bag ages ago, and kinda stopped doing DLs as much. found some straps the other day.
    I know the immediat answer is, train without them your drip will get stonger. But i'm not looking to compete. I just want to use as much energy as possible to move the heaviest load as possible.
    I have girls hands, not just small but soft. I'm never going to have a strong grip.
    Straps are a bit awkward mio, but less messy compared to chalk. Straps don't rip the **** out of my hands as much.

Should I use them only double overhand, or is mixed just as good, better etc?
    Basically, I haven't a clue about them tbh.

IF you're gonna strap up, do it double over hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »

But you can have a stronger grip than you have now.
    Grip training is Cooooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 East Coast Barbell

d'Oracle wrote: »
    But you can have a stronger grip than you have now.
    Grip training is Cooooooo.

I am going to have to chime in with d'Oracle. Grip training is bizarrely fun. It is one of my prouder achievements that I have been able to close the Ironmind Captain of Crush number 3 gripper regularly and also with a credit card. A strong grip helps with every exercise so whether you train it exclusively or indirectly, it is very important either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I am going to have to chime in with d'Oracle. Grip training is bizarrely fun. It is one of my prouder achievements that I have been able to close the Ironmind Captain of Crush number 3 gripper regularly and also with a credit card. A strong grip helps with every exercise so whether you train it exclusively or indirectly, it is very important either way.

Using regular gym equipment what would you recommend doing to improve grip strength?
    Ive started wrapping a t shirt around the handle of the heaviest dumbell as a DIY fat grip and holding for time and so far its going ok-any other exercises youd recommend?

ive seen massive improvements over plain and simple double over hand barbell holds...nothing fancy..pick up a heavy bar and hold on!!!

ive seen massive improvements over plain and simple double over hand barbell holds...nothing fancy..pick up a heavy bar and hold on!!!

Fakt

Very easy on recovery too. Set the rack so the bar's almost at the top of a DL, pick it up and stand with it in your hands for 30 seconds. Then take as long a break as needed, and try to do it 2 more times. Over the next 5-6 weeks work on it 1-2x per week trying to add weight, reduce sets and time down to about 15 seconds as ya go.

And drifter, forgot to write back to ya today. Was up to neck all day! :mad:

• Advertisement

Fakt

Very easy on recovery too. Set the rack so the bar's almost at the top of a DL, pick it up and stand with it in your hands for 30 seconds. Then take as long a break as needed, and try to do it 2 more times. Over the next 5-6 weeks work on it 1-2x per week trying to add weight, reduce sets and time down to about 15 seconds as ya go.

And drifter, forgot to write back to ya today. Was up to neck all day! :mad:

no probs dude...will catch up tomorrow or friday.

* do not use a texas deadlift bar for holds...the resulting loss of blood may cause distress to other gym members..

Farmers Walks.

:smug:

Pinch gripping is supposed to be good too.

Did them a bit although I'm not sure if they are that good or owt.
    Basically have two plates pinch them together with your fingers on one side and your thumb on the other.

Lift and hold for time.

It may not transfer directly to the barbell, but may come in hand for holding to certain objects or scaling some surfaces when the Zombies come.

Farmers Walks.

:smug:

Pinch gripping is supposed to be good too.

Did them a bit although I'm not sure if they are that good or owt.
    Basically have two plates pinch them together with your fingers on one side and your thumb on the other.

Lift and hold for time.

It may not transfer directly to the barbell, but may come in hand for holding to certain objects or scaling some surfaces when the Zombies come.

Pinch gripping is useless for barbell strength. It's primarily a thumb strengthening exercise. May be of value if you hook grip the bar.

Farmers walks are good, but highly impractical unless you train somewhere like Ironside which has the facilities to do them.

Pinch gripping is useless for barbell strength. It's primarily a thumb strengthening exercise. May be of value if you hook grip the bar.

Again, we need to be aware that when the Zombies come, ones deadlift numbers will be of less importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

FYP
    Again, we need to be aware that when the Zombies come, ones deadlift numbers will be of less importance to how fast you can run :D.

Again, we need to be aware that when the Zombies come, ones deadlift numbers will be of less importance.

I'm not sure what thumb stregth will do against the Zombies though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what thumb stregth will do against the Zombies though.

Climbing ****.
    A strong pinch grip is useful for climbing ****.
    Zombies can't climb.

Climbing ****.
    Zombies can't climb.

f*ck climbing... im going to need that famers walk practice for carrying away their headless bodies...

Climbing ****.
    Zombies can't climb.

What are you training in a gym for so?

Go join a climbing club.

f*ck climbing... im going to need that famers walk practice for carrying away their headless bodies...

Yeah, great idea.

Mob of zombies there, I had better knock the heads off them and then TIDY UP?!?!?

Civic Minded, even in the face of Armageddon.

Yeah, great idea.

Mob of zombies there, I had better knock the heads off them and then TIDY UP?!?!?

Can't be having dirty undead bastards ruining the view from drifters castle

• Advertisement

Yeah, great idea.

I welcome Armageddon...it will give me something too do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Yeah it all rolls back to hand to hand combat when the zombie horde arrives.I took out my machete for a walk there a few days back and got in some much needed practice..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Armageddon's only an excuse to get a shotgun and a motorcycle. You're ****ed if your fran time isn't up to scratch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭COH

I'd prefer to train my trigger finger

It's rare that it happens, but sometimes people commenting on youtube vids get it right..
    I DEMAND YOU MAKE A FUCKING BATTLESHIP OUT OF BACON..

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

AB benching in I think a double ply shirt. Anyone know when Andy lifted in a tested federation last?

squod wrote: »

AB benching in I think a double ply shirt. Anyone know when Andy lifted in a tested federation last?

According to wikipedia about 20years ago, however it says BAWLA which to me is a weightlifting fed.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thanks L just curious. Just watched an interview of him from last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Ud1HjfNUY

Says he hasn't taken any steroids ( I believe him) but I haven't seen him compete in a tested fed.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

squod wrote: »
    Thanks L just curious. Just watched an interview of him from last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Ud1HjfNUY

Says he hasn't taken any steroids ( I believe him) but I haven't seen him compete in a tested fed.

lol how could you believe him? Some people need to gain some perspective on what is attainable naturally Jesus H. Christ

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement