Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

jive wrote: »
    lol how could you believe him? Some people need to gain some perspective on what is attainable naturally Jesus H. Christ

I heard he walked on water, must have been some gear he was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

squod wrote: »

Floatadrol.

Floatadrol.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Must have been the sodium bloat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thanks L just curious. Just watched an interview of him from last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Ud1HjfNUY

Says he hasn't taken any steroids ( I believe him) but I haven't seen him compete in a tested fed.

I have a bridge for sale. You interested?

A wha Hanley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Okay, whats the story with discussing diets here? I understand keeping a detailed food log in the fitness log subforum is banned.

But what about critique my diet threads and exchanges of that nature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭COH

grimloch wrote: »
    Okay, whats the story with discussing diets here? I understand keeping a detailed food log in the fitness log subforum is banned.

Its fine as long as you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    Its fine as long as you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Genuine lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

grimloch wrote: »

they're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ugh bad head cold. Debating whether going to gym for squats. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Its funny seeing all the TF threads being dug up or opened and then closed right away, the poor mods must be going mad.

Maybe its time to set up a sub forum called TF issues :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Remmy wrote: »

A kipping lat pulldown? Novel.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Is this not the equivilent of guys using a quarter squat & hip snap to do ezicurls with a weight that is clearly too heavy for them :)

He is clearly using much more than his lats to move that weight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

293.Dogg.Nate.041609.jpg

As he has been mentioned a few times round here.
    Farewell sweet prince....

I'm gonna regulate on the bench later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

d'Oracle wrote: »
    293.Dogg.Nate.041609.jpg

Next stop is NOT the East Side Motel for that man....

too soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

293.Dogg.Nate.041609.jpg

What happened, did his pet unicorn attack him?

Whats the general feeling with regard to buttered scones as part of a post workout meal?

• Advertisement

Whats the general feeling with regard to buttered scones as part of a post workout meal?

I generally feel good about anything with butter on it.

You know yourself, you'd want some protein on there as well though. Washing a scone down with a whey shake could well be a winner.

they/them/theirs

I generally feel good about anything with butter on it.

You know yourself, you'd want some protein on there as well though. Washing a scone down with a whey shake could well be a winner.

It was preceded by about a third of a pound of lamb burgers.

Needs more jam and cream

Job well done. I commend you sir.

they/them/theirs

two-legged-lamb.jpeg?w=500&h=340
    Oh noes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have read the fat is supposed to slow down protein absorption (or something similar), and this is why people will pick skim milk or water for PWO shakes. Dunno how much truth there is to it.

Many low-fat snacks are just replacing the fat with simple carbs, so often just as calorific.

rubadub wrote: »
    I have read the fat is supposed to slow down protein absorption (or something similar), and this is why people will pick skim milk or water for PWO shakes. Dunno how much truth there is to it.

Many low-fat snacks are just replacing the fat with simple carbs, so often just as calorific.

I've read that as well. But does it really matter if your protein absorption is slowed a little?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think in generally, for most of the day, slow absorption is a good thing, constant supply etc
    But PWO, yo want it to be bio available for repair ASAP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    I think in generally, for most of the day, slow absorption is a good thing, constant supply etc
    But PWO, yo want it to be bio available for repair ASAP

Does the data not show that protein consumed immediately before a workout is even more important when it comes to driving protein synthesis post workout? Open to correction on that one like.

I think the fast/slow argument over the course of a normal day is a bit of a redundant argument really. Yeah, there's 'ideals', but any food you eat with whey is going to slow down its digestion anywhey like.

Some folks celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Oz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

At the gym today I saw a guy in a Celtic jersey with the following on the back today
       A
     BORUC
       T
       U
       R

Here's to Arthur........... cheers to Artur........ Boruc Artur....

Hanley wrote: »
    Does the data not show that protein consumed immediately before a workout is even more important when it comes to driving protein synthesis post workout? Open to correction on that one like.

I think the fast/slow argument over the course of a normal day is a bit of a redundant argument really. Yeah, there's 'ideals', but any food you eat with whey is going to slow down its digestion anywhey like.
    True as far as I know. I think its down to the fact that its digested by the time you finish.

Agree RE: slow/fast debate. I was just pointing out the theory, its not something I try to do. If the only issue with my diet was fast/slow protein, I'd be in amazing shape.

It isn't, and I'm not

50kg cast iron barbell/dumbbell set for €71.69 in argos.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9003204/Trail/searchtext%3E50KG.htm
    Hanley wrote: »
    Does the data not show that protein consumed immediately before a workout is even more important when it comes to driving protein synthesis post workout?
    I do not know of any studies, but logically I always figured it would be better to have it before or during it. I read it always heavily stressed to be immediately after a workout, so why not pre-empt this and have it already in your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Possibly free shakeweights in tesco, get one and plant it in some tough-guys bag at the gym :)
    lindtee wrote: »
    Tesco in Mahon Point...., I did get a "shake weight" for free as I was charged double what it shelf sticker said:pac::cool:

This is tescos price guarantee, if overcharged you get it free, however you must buy it, do not mention at the till, go to customer service after.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Can a gym sack someone for being out of shape? I mean if i paid money for a gym and a guy/girl who looked like a team of horses just dragged them out of their third can of pringles gave me my intro and my programme id be lookin for a new instructor or a refund!!! how the **** can you possibly work in a gym and be in a jock, its like i dont even know what simile to put in here....... just a thought!!

• Advertisement

You are paying for the gym, the person doing the induction is just a lacky, and not a trainer. So they could easily be out of shape.

Would really depend on the gym and what was involved in the induction. My induction was basically being shown around by a guy, average shape. Never seen him train in over a year. There was no physical element to it, so it wouldn't of bother me if he was out of shape (it would be stupid from the guys point of view)
    A week later I started my 3 free sessinos with the PT, obv I expected him to be in shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

In my old gym the main person working there looked like an operation transformation candidate she was so overweight and so lazy I canceled my membership as she couldnt be bothered getting up on time to open in the mornings, thanks to her I missed a bunch of prework workouts.she wasnt sacked though....
    .......she was the owner!

I dunno what's funnier about that video
    the fact that he's about twice the size of everyone else
    that I thought he was gonna drop her from overhead
    the fact that I thought he was gonna eat that metrosexual presenter
    or the fact that that blonde chick is now with child after coming within three feet of him!

Dead Ed wrote: »

the fact that he's about twice the size of everyone else
    that I thought he was gonna drop her from overhead
    the fact that I thought he was gonna eat that metrosexual presenter
    or the fact that that blonde chick is now with child after coming within three feet of him!

I genuinely spat coke out of my mouth when I read the last one!:D

I genuinely spat coke out of my mouth when I read the last one!:D

You're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dead Ed wrote: »

I was just going to post that very same video :D It's brilliant!! Oh bless, him, not only is Klokov a big manly man-beast but he can (sort of) dance too!! My crush is quickly developing into a full blown obsession. *swoon*

I got some training tips from Glenn Pendlay last night. In one teeny observation he was able to rectify why I get such tightness in my lower back when I jerk. Awksum.

Oh and watching John North snatch 145kg was more than a little impressive :eek:

I <3 my gym.

• Advertisement

I always find the snatch an amazint lift to see executed, but after seening Hungarian weightlifter Janos Baranyai wreck his elbow in the Olympics, I honestly don't think I would have the ba**s to even attempt it

I always find the snatch an amazint lift to see executed, but after seening Hungarian weightlifter Janos Baranyai wreck his elbow in the Olympics, I honestly don't think I would have the ba**s to even attempt it
    That's not going to happen! He was snatching close on 150kg and was likely getting paid for it. An 85kg lifter from Armenia did the same at the worlds last year but he had 200 overhead (power jerkin'). If you're sensible and use a brush handle or a light bar to start off with the only way you'll blow an elbow is if you have osteoporosis, arthritis and probably some other things. Basically it's the same as me worrying about the downsides of unfathomable wealth :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Just tried cookies and cream whey for the first time. YUM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Molly wrote: »
    Just tried cookies and cream whey for the first time. YUM.

the my protein one?

I find it sickly after a while but its nice every now and again.
    I have a tub of it back home and whenever im back west I have some

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement