Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    It does.

But like, while I see the point, I think that if you take two or three of us around here (on average) put our diets together, you might hit Poundstones protein requirements.

Perspective folks.

I see your point. He's 6cm shorter than me and weighs 50Kg more. Judging by a quick google, he's quite lean for a man that weight as well. That's a beast of a man right there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

gymsoldier wrote: »
    The first time I drank it, it was hard to hold down. Disgusting? Yeah pretty much.

You'd still have to chew the chicken if you minced and cooked it. The idea behind blending it is that you get 100% digestion. I have faith in the Poundstone shake!

A mate of mine missread a sarcastic post on a forum about shake recipies and took it as being being geniune-he then started to chug down tuna and milk shakes!
    YUM!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I see your point. He's 6cm shorter than me and weighs 50Kg more. Judging by a quick google, he's quite lean for a man that weight as well. That's a beast of a man right there.

He doesn't fudge around.

He doesn't fudge around.

Does his diet consist of mainly smaller, slower strongman competitors by any chance?

Given the amount of food I put away in a day, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on. Is that quitter talk?

they/them/theirs

Does his diet consist of mainly smaller, slower strongman competitors by any chance?

Given the amount of food I put away in a day, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on. Is that quitter talk?

I dunno.
    He's a Cop.
    Imagine that catching you and the lads down the lane having cans.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I dunno.
    He's a Cop.
    Imagine that catching you and the lads down the lane having cans.....
    I could never get over the fact that "Poundstone" is his actual name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on.

It's what makes special people so special.
    UK Strongest Man 2011

Thurs 25th, Fri 26th and Sat 27th August

Bank Holiday Weekend

Odyssey Queens Quay, Belfast, 1.00 pm

UK Strongest man on t'morrow. Plus juniors and legends event featuring older strongmen. One helluva line up over the four days. All of those lads would be considerably stronger than I'll ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I could never get over the fact that "Poundstone" is his actual name
    Yeah, imagine it was Dilbert Poindexter or something.

There was some pic of a nutritionist woman posted whose surname was Minger, lucky for her she is no minger.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine it was Dilbert Poindexter or something.

There was some pic of a nutritionist woman posted whose surname was Minger, lucky for her she is no minger.

is this her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Mellor wrote: »
    I thought Amylase only acted on starch/sugars.

Turns starch into sugar afaik. It helps the process, but could prob digest without it.

Chickenshake still sounds muck though

Sugar us such a generic term.

The pollysaccharide Starch is broken down by amylase to give the disaccharide maltose
    &
    Maltose is in turn broken down by maltase into the monosaccharide glucose.

Sugar is not one catch all word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The pollysaccharide Starch is broken down by amylase to give the disaccharide maltose
    &

on a slightly related note are 'bottom burps' indicative of protein going undigested when consumptions increased or would it merely be a byproduct of digestion?

on a slightly related note are 'bottom burps' indicative of protein going undigested when consumptions increased or would it merely be a byproduct of digestion?

Kinda depends I guess.

One of the main reasons farts smell bad is because of sulphur content.

Protein is the only macronutrients to contain this element and when it's broken down in the digestive Tract in anaerobic conditions, it can lead to the production of H2S, hydrogen sulphide (also known as rotten egg gas).

But to say that increased protein consumption leads to more frequent & smellier farts is an all too simplistic approach to take on the subject.
    It can be a contributory factor, certainly, but is not the only reason.

It should also be noted that this is nit just down to whey protein, consumption of a high protein diet in any form can lead to this but again, it's not the only reason for smelly & mire frequent flatulence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,638 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It does.

But like, while I see the point, I think that if you take two or three of us around here (on average) put our diets together, you might hit Poundstones protein requirements.

Perspective folks.

Like I said pointless for those of us not eating the same number of calories as him.
    One shake alone is the half my cals i'd imagine.
    He mentioned it when he gave the poundstone shake demo.

7 to 8 meals a day
    7,000 - 10,000 Calories a day

2-2.5lbs chicken
    1-2lbs steak

&

I'm aware sugar is a generic term. I was just clarifying that amylase has nothing to do with digesting a chickenshake.
    I had a vague idea that the spedific sugar which it broke starch down to was maltose. But wasn't 100% sure and I didn't think is was really relevant when talking about 2lbs of chicken in a blender with water.

He mentioned it when he gave the poundstone shake demo.

7 to 8 meals a day
    7,000 - 10,000 Calories a day

2-2.5lbs chicken
    1-2lbs steak

Jaysus. Tasty.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Haha, look where one of the competitors is from.

That's deadly. Technique like that would go a long way with atlas stones on barrels.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Haha, look where one of the competitors is from.

A neighbour of Osamas?

they/them/theirs

A neighbour of Osamas?
    He was seen throwing rocks at a Black Hawk a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »

No one in the world comes close to Belyaev. Greatest powerlifter ever after Ed Coan. And even then it's pretty f*cking close.

I'm aware sugar is a generic term. I was just clarifying that amylase has nothing to do with digesting a chickenshake.
    I had a vague idea that the spedific sugar which it broke starch down to was maltose. But wasn't 100% sure and I didn't think is was really relevant when talking about 2lbs of chicken in a blender with water.

wasnt aimed at you Mellor, I know you know your stuff.
    Was just on a point of clarification and the Bio teacher in me coming out in prep for going back to school

Hanley wrote: »
    No one in the world comes close to Belyaev. Greatest powerlifter ever after Ed Coan. And even then it's pretty f*cking close.

Some one should make him have kids with one of the Chinese weightlifters. Cao Lei or one of them.

squod wrote: »
    Some one should make him have kids with one of the Chinese weightlifters. Cao Lei or one of them.

Stick him in a room with Becca Swanson and make them get it on. He'd have no choice, she'd over power him. Boom. Genetic freaks born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Stick him in a room with Becca Swanson and make them get it on. He'd have no choice, she'd over power him. Boom. Genetic freaks born.

pfft. Lidia Valentin ftw.

pfft. Lidia Valentin ftw.

Please

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=264079.0;attach=304377;image

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I have no words.

I also can't post pics.

Post a nice one of Lidia.

......and that was the last time she fell for the "I bet you can't touch your elbows behind your back" joke

lidia-valentin-2009-11-28-4-43-10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Please

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=264079.0;attach=304377;image

<3

excuse the scepticism but is it even possible for a woman to build that much muscle without steroids?

newby.204 wrote: »
    excuse the scepticism but is it even possible for a woman to build that much muscle without steroids?
    What are you sceptical of?
    She is on like donkey kong.

newby.204 wrote: »

It's probably not even possible for a man...

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Is €395 a good price for a year's gym membership?

FYG wrote: »
    Is €395 a good price for a year's gym membership?

It's average. Thread here gives offers which might suit also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055280151&page=70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,638 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wasnt aimed at you Mellor, I know you know your stuff.
    Was just on a point of clarification and the Bio teacher in me coming out in prep for going back to school

Sorry, I was overly defensive tbh.
    At least I know a bit more now about about carbs and such.
    I'd be a lot better off putting this energy into fixing my diet rather thing tiny specifics.

It's all well and good knowing my what my macro breakdown should be, but its not hugely important when I just ahd 2 McDs cheeseburgers for lunch.
    $1 each, couldn't say no.

Its Klokov, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Its Klokov, apparently.

*happy place*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

did he just push press 212kg?

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    If you had cheapo beef mince it could be boiled in water, I expect the fat would layer off to the top,
    I did my mince and it worked pretty well, will definitely do it again. I did a full tesco 800g pack which was "typically less than 20% fat" on the label and works out at 19.8% from the other info, it used to be more when it was "value mince", there was no value mince anymore and this was cheapest at 2.95 for 800g, I think they just don't brand it value anymore.

I boiled it in 800g/ml of water and strained it off into a casserole dish, so I could see it layering. Cooked in just a few minutes, the drained weight was 490g. It dried out a fair bit which I actually like, as I love cured dry meats, looked reaonably OK too, thought it would be all grey looking, lashed some american mustard and franks hot sauce on some and it was grand.

I will colllect the fat and keep it for frying eggs & chicken. It was layering fat pretty instantly and I can see a little meat residue in it but it is mostly clear looking water. If it was 20% fat then 800g should have 160g fat, if all this came out it should reduce to 640g, so it lost at least another 150g along the way to get to 490g, no doubt most of this is water/moisture as cheap mince seems to release loads of it. Would be interesting to compare yields with better quality mince, might even work out cheaper if you get more out.

Parsley wrote: »

I believe so.

Parsley wrote: »

2 reds, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 green + collars to me - 195kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

From Ironsides facebook page:
    NOTICE TO MEMBERS - We will be closed this Sunday due to the arrival of alot of new equipment that will need to set up, East Coast Barbell are also relocating to Ironside and are moving their equipment into the studio room to set up their new lifting club that day too. Big changes ahead.

:eek:

2 reds, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 green + collars to me - 195kg?
    Think it's two baby whites not collars and... errr.... the bar weighs 20

P.s. you're not doing my taxes :P

Mauricmo wrote: »
    From Ironsides facebook page:

:eek:

Yes.

Its gonna be the most hella sweet building in the country.
    You should join.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Its gonna be the most hella sweet building in the country.
    You should join.

As soon as relocation is sorted and bills are paid, I'm in there like swimwear.

Any details on how this is going to work? All under the same name or 2 separate gyms under the same roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Mauricmo wrote: »
    As soon as relocation is sorted and bills are paid, I'm in there like swimwear.

Any details on how this is going to work? All under the same name or 2 separate gyms under the same roof?

It's two separate gyms under the same roof. Dave from Ironside is on boards so I'm sure he'll be on to explain the exact arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IronsideGym

Hey,

Barry here from Ironside said i'd just try and clarify what will be going with both parties although. Sami and Wayne will be running East Coast Barbell from the studio room in Ironside which was just never used. It will be used for olympic lifting only and will have 6 purpose built platforms where ECB's lifters will train in oly lifting only. From talking to Sami its going to be some set-up and we cannot wait for it to be done and dusted.

Ironside will be run as normal as a strength and conditioning gym for its members and ECB will operate as a club for its lifters most of which seem to compete talking to Sami. Ironside members and ECB members will all get on like one big happy family as some of our members want to give olympic lifting a good go and no doubt some of ECB's members will never want to give powerlifting a go because they have sense and like their shoulders, hips, knees, backs..... ;)

Looking forward to it big time.

Sounds brilliant, best of luck with the merger.
    I don't think folk in and around blackrock know how lucky they just got.

I hope it all fits though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Any one got any tips for strengthening hip flexors? my right one is acting the kunt lately, making weird noises and really bad pain with overhead squats for some reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement