Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

jugger0 wrote: »
    You broke the poor lads heart, hes been dreaming/fapping about you 24/7 for weeks now, he's probably been rehearsing how to ask you out, where to bring you etc..

:pac:
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Ahhahahahaahahahahah Bet you hadn't mentioned your new gym friend to your boyfriend.

Sure I did. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I thought I had made a buddy in the gym. We had loads of chats over the past couple of weeks, I mentioned I have a boyfriend yesterday and he hasn't spoken to me since... so much for making friends :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Dathai wrote: »

You beat me to it, I was gonna put the same video up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

have you tried inverted rows, did them instead of barbell rows when i had back pain, you can put a plate on your chest to up the weight:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/WTSupineRow.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

How about introducing some back extension sets into your routine to help strengthen your lower back? Perhaps start with bodyweight then move onto weighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't used a machine in a long time, but i think the same applies to barbells, racks etc. I'd often spend a bit just standing around between sets, up to 5mins at times. I've no issue at all if some body wanted to do a bit between my sets. A bit strange that they had an issue with it.

On the other hand, if somebody complained that I was taking too long a rest, they could piss off.

No issue with the length of his rest at all, only had issue with him being rude really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I hate using genetic freaks as examples but dorian yates credited narrower grip movements like v grip pulldowns as being the main movements that helped build his back.
    As regards your back hurting:
    1. Reduce the weights so theyre too light for you and try and cramp whatever muscles you're hitting. Once thats working for you up the weights per session.

2. Let your free hand take most of the weight leaning on benches or whatever and keep your knees the smallest bit bent to absorbs the shocks.

3. Maybe your back isnt right, either that or it might be too weak.

I'd say my lower back and core are too weak. I love problem solving! Its what makes the gym fun

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd say my lower back and core are too weak. I love problem solving! Its what makes the gym fun

You're probably doing too high volume to begin with. But that's a whole other argument.

Pendlay rows, or as Glenn Pendlay calls them, barbell rows are the answer to any upper back question.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You're probably doing too high volume to begin with. But that's a whole other argument.

Pendlay rows, or as Glenn Pendlay calls them, barbell rows are the answer to any upper back question.

Went through a periodisation cycle so varied from 12-15 reps down to 2-4 reps. Got stronger, no question there, but it might have been coincidental :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone have issues buying jeans?

I tried on a pair today and they loose around the waist but strangling my calves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've never found a pair of jeans in my life that fit right, hence wearing shorts nearly all year round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I tried on a pair today and they loose around the waist but strangling my calves.

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

god help the idea of wearing skinny jeans

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man.

Its not my fault. They are cutting jeans for guys with the legs of a 12 year old.

I finally found a pair that were cut correctly. I hate the current men's "fashion"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

When buying jeans I always have to go for a much bigger waste than I have, and wear a tight belt with them, jeans were not designed for people who train legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man jeans that don't fit properly.

No thanks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No issue with the length of his rest at all, only had issue with him being rude really!
    Was aiming that at you, just meant in general if so somebody was bothered by it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CleanBurning

DL Saint wrote: »
    When buying jeans I always have to go for a much bigger waste than I have, and wear a tight belt with them, jeans were not designed for people who train legs.

I do the same. Check out Armani comfort leg, but at 120 quid a pop they're pricey enough and if they weren't such thin material I'd just own a few pairs of these.
    Did get a pair given to me that were apparently £5 in Tesco in the UK, they fit perfectly too.
    Anything else I've tried results in bunching up the waistband under a belt.

Any others people can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Do you do good-mornings?

What about the chafing? ive had to use sun-cream as emergency lube for my thighs before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What about the chafing? ive had to use sun-cream as emergency lube for my thighs before.

Baby oil. Vaseline is surprisingly uncomfortable.

Carhartt make good jeans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Bicycleshorts style boxers. Great job for that!

Bicycleshorts style boxers. Great job for that!

yeah but they tend to disintegrate between the thighs after a while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pullovers

pullovers for back? Interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Thud wrote: »

yeah but they tend to disintegrate between the thighs after a while

True just buy a pack every month or so from penny's. Such is the price of being awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Just back from hols, thankfully managed to get a couple of sessions in over there. Lesson Learned: Sunburn and Shoulder Exercises are not fun....at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

squod wrote: »
    Baby oil. Vaseline is surprisingly uncomfortable.

I'm getting lovely mental images of ye men oiling up your big muscular thighs. Thanks for that. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Jeans are tough but suits are pretty much impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

What are people's opinions on Wendler 5/3/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm in my 3rd week of the first cycle. Enjoying it a lot. I downloading the biglifts app which does all your calculations. For the most part I'm doin Boring But Big assistance ( not doing it for deadlifts though).

Before this I had been doing stronglifts but after messing about through December ( baby, then wife were sick, finally my valiant defences collapsed ). I found it hard to get back into, was kind of bored with it.
    January was spent trying to motivate myself but I needed to try something new and 5/3/1 seems to be working for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're trying to increase 1RM, do something else

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »

If you're trying to increase 1RM, do something else

Then what's the benefits of it if it doesn't increase rm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Anyone see Tommy Bowes Bodycheck last night?

Genuinely thought he'd be bigger amd leaner. Strange one. I guess it was just pre pre season when he was tested and stuff but he did look 'skinny'. I use skinny in relative terms.

Anyone else have an opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Genuinely thought he'd be bigger amd leaner. Strange one. I guess it was just pre pre season when he was tested and stuff but he did look 'skinny'. I use skinny in relative terms.

Anywhere online I can watch??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Found it interesting, particularly the parts about CK and muscle damage and lactate thresholds.

I guess he looks 'skinny' due to his height. I think the documentary said he's 6'3 but he's still 100kg so not that lightweight for a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10115408/

Says it's not available for me but I think that's just my UK proxy in work.

• Advertisement

Maybe RTE player? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it actually.

The nutrition aspect of it too.

You can also see him cheating with a prowler sled.

Then what's the benefits of it if it doesn't increase rm?

From reading articles Wendler has written and reading the book, I think the main aim of 5/3/1 is a slower building of strength while working on conditioning and fitness.
    The book says that although he had big numbers ( he says he had just squat 1000lbs) he wasnt strong. I took this to mean athletically strong. He was fit or couldnt move quickly etc.

Wendler says in the book that if you press a weight (eg. 50kg x7) one week and the next week you lift it for 8-10 your obviously stronger. You work up to 95% of your 1RM x reps in week 3. Each week you aim to set new PR reps at a weight.

If I'm wrong in the way I took it in I'll gladly be corrected. It may not drive up your 1rm but I'm enjoying my time in the shed again

Really enjoyed the Tommy Bowe programme, I would have liked a bit more about the nutrition side of things though.

I'd love a go of a DEXA scanner

He is skinny enough, doesn't look very strong, its the same with o gara and sexton, you'd expect them to have more muscle though its not the be all and end all of course, i imagine in o'garas case being bigger would help him with tackling as he gets run over a lot.

Would love to see one of these on sean o brien. Manu tuilagi would be interesting too, pretty sure he claimed a 190kg bench at 20 years old, absolute tank of a man.

Would love to see one of these on sean o brien. Manu tuilagi would be interesting too, pretty sure he claimed a 190kg bench at 20 years old, absolute tank of a man.

Come across any lifting figures for Tom Youngs, looks a bit of an animal?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/20/ben-youngs-tom-youngs-leicester-contract

He is skinny enough, doesn't look very strong, its the same with o gara and sexton, you'd expect them to have more muscle though its not the be all and end all of course, i imagine in o'garas case being bigger would help him with tackling as he gets run over a lot.

He was benching 100 for reps on the show.

Yeah Tuilagi's would be interesting. I saw a docu with Owen and Ben Franks Kiwi props and theyve some inpressive numbers tbh. Cleaning quite heavy.

The show did show the science part of the training though which was very interesting. Id like to see how the SandC coach deals with them in the off season with respect to actual pure strength/size training.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Bowe was coming back from surgery...hadnt played or trained right in 6 months. He was at 13% BF and got down to 10% or so. He was in decent shape I thought putting the lay off into the context.

On another note thought id poke my eyes out with the ****e moyna was talking and then that ridicuously stupid interview with the guy comparing breaking steel to breaking bone.

BlueIsland wrote: »

Bowe was coming back from surgery...hadnt played or trained right in 6 months. He was at 13% BF and got down to 10% or so. He was in decent shape I thought putting the lay off into the context.

On another note thought id poke my eyes out with the ****e moyna was talking and then that ridicuously stupid interview with the guy comparing breaking steel to breaking bone.

Yeah the coming back from a lay off was the thing that Id say you could cut him some slack for.

The professor comparing the breaking of bone was pretty geeky. Funny though. I dont know what his point was really but he couldnt have been more your stereotypical lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Yeah the coming back from a lay off was the thing that Id say you could cut him some slack for.

The professor comparing the breaking of bone was pretty geeky. Funny though. I dont know what his point was really but he couldnt have been more your stereotypical lecturer.

Bowe is the right shape for position he playing and his main attributes he brings to the team!

The professor part was so ridiculous. It was like he was trying to scare Bowe or something.

Thud wrote: »
    Come across any lifting figures for Tom Youngs, looks a bit of an animal?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/20/ben-youngs-tom-youngs-leicester-contract

No its pretty hard to find out about what they're lifting unless some one mentions it in an interview, i suppose its not such a big deal in rugby compared to american football where its a massive deal, look at hook who plays for wales, looks like he never lifted in his life! there is a few others like that, doesn't seem to stop them from being good players though but i cant help but think if they were bigger and stronger surely they'd be better overall?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement