Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

jugger0 wrote: »
    No its pretty hard to find out about what they're lifting unless some one mentions it in an interview, i suppose its not such a big deal in rugby compared to american football where its a massive deal, look at hook who plays for wales, looks like he never lifted in his life! there is a few others like that, doesn't seem to stop them from being good players though but i cant help but think if they were bigger and stronger surely they'd be better overall?

I think all players can benefit from being stronger etc but am still doesnt change the fact that the skills are the single most important attribute of a player in most sports. Like I was thinking about it and can think of a tonne of smaller, awkward players in different sports that remain ahead of the bigger, stronger chasing pack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He looks much bigger+Leaner here.

British+Irish+Lions+Training+Session+wExQUm6jhl-l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Yeah very true.

Kinda more expected than what was seen last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Then what's the benefits of it if it doesn't increase rm?

Because you still can get stronger on it, I did. Its not a programme that focuses on 1RMs at all, its more about increasing your max's in the 5-10 range.
    On balance Id say its main strength is that its a good programme to get you out of a mental rut, its more of an instant gratification thing where every week you;re looking to beat the weight and/or reps of the last corresponding session as opposed to looking to build up to a peak that might be 6 or 8 weeks away.
    Is it the best plan out there? Probably not but its fine for improving general strength, personally I believe Wendler is off his trolley when it comes to claiming its usefulness for powerlifting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

He is skinny enough, doesn't look very strong, its the same with o gara and sexton, you'd expect them to have more muscle though its not the be all and end all of course, i imagine in o'garas case being bigger would help him with tackling as he gets run over a lot.

Would love to see one of these on sean o brien. Manu tuilagi would be interesting too, pretty sure he claimed a 190kg bench at 20 years old, absolute tank of a man.

There's more than likely one rather large difference between ROFG and Sexton vs SOB and Tuilagi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Paudee wrote: »
    There's more than likely one rather large difference between ROFG and Sexton vs SOB and Tuilagi.

Of course its a bad idea to compare outhalfs to a back row and a center, but being a bit bigger could only be a good thing for the likes of o'gara who is targeted a lot because of his size, ive seen him ran over far too many times, compared to Wilkinson who destroyed most people who ran at him.

Of course its a bad idea to compare outhalfs to a back row and a center, but being a bit bigger could only be a good thing for the likes of o'gara who is targeted a lot because of his size, ive seen him ran over far too many times, compared to Wilkinson who destroyed most people who ran at him.

Swoosh.

Swoosh.

Pray tell friend

Pray tell friend

I'd rather not get done for libel!

• Advertisement

I'd rather not get done for libel!

Ahhhh right... well if it is what i think it is you're suggesting sean o brien thinks you shouldn't have protein shakes, and if you do you should be over 18... take from that what you will. As for manu well have ya seen his family? it runs in the genes, i think rugby isnt too bad when it comes to that sort of stuff, but maybe im being naive.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Ready-to-rumble-13717.html

Every young rugby player in the country wants to be as big as Sean O'Brien. How does he do it?

''I don't actually do that much gym work. It took me a while to build up to this size. Every year you find yourself getting a little bit bigger, leaner, faster, more powerful. It's like tuning an engine.

''I wouldn't use protein shakes really. I don't think anyone should be touching that stuff until they're 18 or 19, and even at that it should only be if they need it; you know, if you can't put on weight. Eating well is more important.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd love a go of a DEXA scanner
    The breakdown they give can be interesting. The readings can fluctuate a bit depending on various factors.

Received my DB powerhooks in the post today. I was finding it very hard to feel "tight" on the bench when getting any DB over 40kg in place. Hopefully I will like them as much as the guy in the video :pac:

I'm looking for a quote/article from Dan John, one where he talks about lifting bench marks. One is bodyweight bench for X reps (15?). Will Geffernan might have linked it before, he might also have been mention in the same article.

Ring any bells?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm looking for a quote/article from Dan John, one where he talks about lifting bench marks. One is bodyweight bench for X reps (15?).

Ring any bells?

Yep. 15 for a bloke.
    He mentions it in at least two of his books.
    I read it in Intervention last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I wish I could bench my bodyweight for 15 reps... or 10 reps :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone know a sight that will be showing the Arnold Classic this year?

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm looking for a quote/article from Dan John, one where he talks about lifting bench marks. One is bodyweight bench for X reps (15?). Will Geffernan might have linked it before, he might also have been mention in the same article.

Ring any bells?

It's in here somewhere

http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do?p=Dan%20John&pageNo=1

Found it
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/figuring_out_your_life_and_lifting_goals&cr=

d'Oracle wrote: »

Yep. 15 for a bloke.
    Intervention, that's what it was about. Cheers.

Did done high rep benching recently, was curious as to where I'd fit in. Not quite 15 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Anyone know a sight that will be showing the Arnold Classic this year?

I'd say bodybuilding.com may do a live webcast like they did the Olympia.

• Advertisement

Recieved Hanleys newsletter this morning and I love how the first heading was 'Train, don't test' :P It was like it was made for me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭COH

Recieved Hanleys newsletter this morning and I love how the first heading was 'Train, don't test' :P It was like it was made for me :p

Promptly sent to the 'disregard' folder yeah? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You and 90% of the other people who lift up heavy stuff.
    COH wrote: »

Double LOL

COH wrote: »

Marked as spam:pac:

Nah, some good info in there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How can I sign up for this spam filler?

How can I sign up for this spam filler?

RevolutionFitness.ie and the link for this months one (since you've missed it) is on the RevFit FB page. Both linked in my sig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hanley wrote: »

RevolutionFitness.ie and the link for this months one (since you've missed it) is on the RevFit FB page. Both linked in my sig!

Ill have me some of that too for the read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Strongman-vs-Bodybuilder.jpg

Discuss.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

yeah, thats exactly why my waist is so eh, "thick", because of the muscles...

Discuss.. lol
    What's to discuss?
    I might be missing something. Haven't had my coffee today

• Advertisement

Just breezed through the newsletter there, have to say I thought the youtube analysis of that guys deadlift was a very cool little addition, very sky sportsish :D

Fair play dude, good read

BEEFCAKE!

BEEFCAAAAAAKE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Yep. 15 for a bloke.
    Tried this out this morning without a spotter and managed 10 (82.5kg@82kg BW) . Had 1 maybe 2 more in the tank but didn't risk without spottter. Good thing too as guy next to be got pinned by 110kg or so not more than 2 minutes later. 15 seems like a decent benchmark to aim for though.

Haven't gone anywhere near 1RM on bench in good while but based on the above RM calculator has my 1RM around 110kg (would be good 5kg PR). These are usually quite accurate for me so intersting to note. Not planning on testing anytime soon but hopefully this is a sign losing a few kgs hasn't had a too much of an effect on bench.

I caved and finally ordered a pair of Adidas Adipowers 2012

I caved and finally ordered a pair of Adidas Adipowers 2012

Why didn't you get the 2013 model dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

I seen those new Adidas running shoes yesterday, Bounce I think they're called? they look like the sole is Styrofoam.

Why didn't you get the 2013 model dude?

What does the 2013 look like?

The ones I bought look like the 2012 but are called Adipower Core Energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

where did you order fro>

• Advertisement

where did you order fro>

I ordered from profitness supplies.

What does the 2013 look like?

The ones I bought look like the 2012 but are called Adipower Core Energy.

Ah man they're unreal... Pretty similar to the 2012 but better lock system and colour choices.

....I'm sorry, totally yanking your chain. There's no such thing. Well wear on your shoes. I love mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

The crossfitters are trying to make me get some....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jarren wrote: »

I think Adidas just renamed them. I found this out due to Hanley having me searching for 2013 Adipowers :o

No experience with actual weightlifting shoes. Are they worth the 200 bills?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Guys

Fitness Courses

NCEF CEHF/DEHF, NTC National Qualification in Exercise, Health Studies and Personal Training.

What your opinions would be on it as regards employment opportunities, would it be recognised in other countries, what level of qualification it is etc.

A friend of mine asked me about it and I'm not really sure what the answer is

Any recomendations ?

The crossfitters are trying to make me get some....

I'll sell you mine for 100bucks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

ronanc15 wrote: »
    No experience with actual weightlifting shoes. Are they worth the 200 bills?

Well if you're a weightlifter they probably are worth the money. If your just looking for a pair of shoes for squatting or general gym use then you could get away with some of the cheaper shoes like power perfects, do wins etc.

Jarren wrote: »
    Guys

Fitness Courses

NCEF CEHF/DEHF, NTC National Qualification in Exercise, Health Studies and Personal Training.

What your opinions would be on it as regards employment opportunities, would it be recognised in other countries, what level of qualification it is etc.

A friend of mine asked me about it and I'm not really sure what the answer is

Any recomendations ?

100% Leisure Industry Academy. I wouldn't waste my time anywhere else.

Fast track package - L3 gym instructor, L4 PT - reps accredited with international recognition.

And the quality of the content is f*ckong awesome. Hell I spent my own money to go there and do their L4 in jan.

Just out of the gym, on the way to work (it's 8.30). I forgot to bring my breakfast and lunch. Food suggestions?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement