Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Hey Paddywiggum, you seem to know a bit about recomping and carb cycling. I'm just wondering why you leave the fat at 65g even on the surplus day. From all the reading about it I'v done, I gather that dietary fat gets stored instantly when you are eating above maintenance. I'v done a bit of Leangains style dieting before, where I didn't count calories, I just did two really high carb days and the rest were low carb, medium fat and high protein. It worked well, but the high carb days weren't even very enjoyable because I was so anal about keeping the fat as low as possible.(in case it went straight into my fat stores.)

I'v read a lot about these type of diets and some writers say to make sure you stay below 50g fat on ''refeed'' days, while others don't mention altering your fat intake at all. Basically, I'm wondering if the fat that gets stored during your refeed would simply get burned off again during the low carb days?

Also, Mellor, have a read of this and see what you think. It's an article written in support of ''recomp'' style diets rather than steady deficit diets. http://propanefitness.com/why-your-last-diet-failed-the-biggest-problem-with-traditional-dieting/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

blah88 wrote: »
    Hey Paddywiggum, you seem to know a bit about recomping and carb cycling. I'm just wondering why you leave the fat at 65g even on the surplus day. From all the reading about it I'v done, I gather that dietary fat gets stored instantly when you are eating above maintenance.
    I think you misunderstood what you read.*
    Fat won't get stored instantly above maintenance. If that were true, it would be impossible to put on any muscle, because as soon as you are in surplus and you store the dietary fat. Which obvious isn't what happens.
    The process of growing muscle uses energy (not just protein), this extra energy eliminates the surplus. The -/+ calories of leangains try's to allow cals for growth, but then cut back any left over plus body fat.

*I imagine it was referring to the fact that when you have excess calories (inc muscle growth needs) and your body needs to store them as fat. It will store dietary fat directly as body fat rather than using it for energy and converting carbs to fat.

I'll have a look at that article on my lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Oook I think I get it now. So basically, you can only build so much muscle at a time, thus, there's no reason to go over +20% of your maintenance calories on your surplus day. If I stay within the 20% limit, I can have a decent amount of fat during the day and it will most likely not get stored as bodyfat, as the extra 20% of calories will be burnt off in the process of building muscle? (Assuming you trained hard enough).

I hate counting calories though. I tend to just scoff as many carbs as I can during the refeed days then avoid them like the plague during the other days. It seems to work but it's not a very sustainable lifestyle IMO. Causes big mood swings for me and your constantly craving either carbs or fats. I need to get the balance right.

313772_499571490080095_1111294995_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

People seem to have forgotten the point of an off topic thread. A lot of terribly on topic discussion going on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Fair enough. Id just like to add that ive a 5euro Superquinn fry breakfast in the fridge and i dont care how many calories is in it, im having the lot in the morn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    A couple of questions/pointers Stuffins.

When you say you're in your Gym phase, where you not training at all for the last few months? Or simply not resistance training.

I was doing cardio, but not resistance training. I was doing some bodyweight stuff but not a lot. I was concentrating on getting lighter so it was cardio mostly.
    Why are you opposed to continuing a deficit?

Well, from what the bros tell me, I shouldn't be resistance training while on a deficit? I'd be happy to continue the deficit if this will be effective.
    Forget about what weight you want to be. Lots if people start threads saying they are happy with their weight, they just want to lose fat. It's best to just lose the fat and not worry if the scales move.

This would be perfect. If I could stay the weight I am now but drop BF, i'd be delighted.
    Aiming to recomp, eating +/- cals on traing/test days is one method. But it's slow and unnessecery unless you are pretty lean as it is. The post above that planned it out, suggested that you just continue defective first, I'd agree tbh.

Awesome! I'll continue the deficit.
    Brian? wrote: »
    People seem to have forgotten the point of an off topic thread. A lot of terribly on topic discussion going on.

Sorry dude, I just didn't want to clog up the forum with a new thread (I just clogged up the OT thread instead :P )

Cheers for the advice guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hanley, or any of the rest of the lads lurking about- he posted a post on someones training log about wrist position for squatting and for the life of me I can't remember who's. If you or anyone would post it here it'd be awesome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hanley, or any of the rest of the lads lurking about- he posted a post on someones training log about wrist position for squatting and for the life of me I can't remember who's. If you or anyone would post it here it'd be awesome :D

Here's the link to the original thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470943

Here you go:

http://jameshanley.ie/index.php/2012/03/04/squat_sore_wrists_hand_position/

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

anyone notice the similarities between this:
    http://jameshanley.ie/
    and this
    http://www.personal-trainer-dublin.com/jayfarrant/

ok maybe it's just the same bird in there banner...and some of the topics look similar :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hanley clearly looks up to Jay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hanley clearly looks up to Jay.

Clearly...Jay was a PT First.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thud wrote: »
    anyone notice the similarities between this:
    http://jameshanley.ie/
    and this
    http://www.personal-trainer-dublin.com/jayfarrant/

ok maybe it's just the same bird in there banner...and some of the topics look similar :eek:

Yeah I could say something about that.

Hanley wrote: »
    Yeah I could say something about that.

He inspires you???

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Here's the link to the original thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470943
    Brian? wrote: »

Cheers lads, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Clearly...Jay was a PT First.

Is Hanley a PT now? I thought he was some form of lifestyle guru.

they/them/theirs

481637_481271318586730_1483738739_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Quick newbie question, when people say how much they are lifting, do they include the weight of the bar in that? For example if someone is benching 60kg, is that two 20kg weights and the 20kg of the bar? Id feel a bit better about myself if they are including the bar weight!

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Quick newbie question, when people say how much they are lifting, do they include the weight of the bar in that? For example if someone is benching 60kg, is that two 20kg weights and the 20kg of the bar? Id feel a bit better about myself if they are including the bar weight!

Ya they include the weight of the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JJayoo wrote: »

Ya they include the weight of the bar.

Are the bars a standard weight across gyms?

• Advertisement

The standard bars are just over 7 foot and weight 20kg, however you can get one which will be shorter and weigh less. So you can find barbells that weigh 15kg, 17.5kg or 20kg. It would be very unusual for a gym not to have some standard 7 foot 20kg bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Kipping Ab Pulldowns

t5xNPBw.jpg

Jesus..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Heading to Tralee for a week on Monday. Anyone know any pay as you go gyms preferably in the town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭COH

Ant11 wrote: »
    Heading to Tralee for a week on Monday. Anyone know any pay as you go gyms preferably in the town?

Powerhouse Gym Tralee looks good.. not sure where it is exactly or what the rates are but easy to contact them via their facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hoping to upgrade to an Olympic set later in the year. Money is obviously an issue, so it's a slow saving process. Besides adverts.ie is Irishlifting the best ( cheapest) option ?

Does Mickk do a boards discount ?;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hoping to upgrade to an Olympic set later in the year. Money is obviously an issue, so it's a slow saving process. Besides adverts.ie is Irishlifting the best ( cheapest) option ?

Does Mickk do a boards discount ?;):P
    Wouldn't mind getting a few opinions on this too if anybody could advise on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Anyone else ever get the guy with mediocre lifts coming over giving unsolicited advice in a slightly patronising way? I did but he only ever came in when I was nearly finished and doing the farty light stuff and just for an easy life I'd nod and humour him. He came in today while I was doing my top sets of squats (considerably heavier than he does), seen what I was doing and he didnt even adknowledge me the whole time I was there. Ah peace! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone else ever get the guy with mediocre lifts coming over giving unsolicited advice in a slightly patronising way? I did but he only ever came in when I was nearly finished and doing the farty light stuff and just for an easy life I'd nod and humour him. He came in today while I was doing my top sets of squats (considerably heavier than he does), seen what I was doing and he didnt even adknowledge me the whole time I was there. Ah peace! :D

All i said was that your knees shouldn't go pass your toes :(

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I bought the stick today. It is great.

Some dude kept asking me when I was going to be done in the squat rack today and I said I'd be a while cause I was just warming up. Every 2nd set he would ask when was I done. I was getting annoyed and was so close to saying I gotta do me some curls here after squats maaan. After I'd done I gave him the nod and left the rack. He then did curls!!!!! W@nker..

525367_10151472971104621_1514530253_n.jpg

All i said was that your knees shouldn't go pass your toes :(

:pac::pac::pac:

unless you were also doing sets of cable pulldowns so heavy you were getting launched out of your seat repeatedly it wasnt you ....or maybe it WAS you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭butthatsjustme

http://dicktalens.com/the-myth-of-willpower-and-eat-less-move-more

I thought this article by the guy who started fitocracy was really good!
    The only way to succeed at fitness is to create positive feedback loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭butthatsjustme

http://dicktalens.com/the-myth-of-willpower-and-eat-less-move-more

I thought this article by the guy who started fitocracy was really good!
    The only way to succeed at fitness is to create positive feedback loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

LOLing at this guys videos. Awesome form on his kettlebell swing video too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I should be banned from this forum for my diet recently.

An absolute joke.

Ive put on about 3kg just from eating so damn bad.

BUT, Ive progressed in my lifts!

Easy part is the workout. hard part is the diet.

An absolute joke.

An absolute joke.

Just call it a bulk.

haha, Im bulking pretty nicely so! A little too nicely around the middle unfortunately.

just off the back of my best ever cut too. Got to the phase where I thought I could do no wrong.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/supertraining-tv

supertraining are doing some sort of meet thing right now-I think efferding is taking part

• Advertisement

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-football-recruiting-2013/2013/3/23/4139908/baylor-2013-dt-andrew-billings-breaks-mark-henrys-state-powerlifting-record

"With a combined lift of 2010 lbs in the squat, bench, and deadlifts today, incoming Baylor DT Andrew Billings of Waco, Texas broke Mark Henry's longstanding record and became the second Texas high schooler ever to cross the 2000-lb. threshold"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

God bless em even after all this time they can still make my jaw drop at how f*cking moronically retarded they are.

261395_406636986099716_368655206_n.png

Yeah slamming jacked3D off season ain't gonna do jack for your fran time come throwdown day brah.

token wrote: »
    God bless em even after all this time they can still make my jaw drop at how f*cking moronically retarded they are.

261395_406636986099716_368655206_n.png

Yeah slamming jacked3D off season ain't gonna do jack for your fran time come throwdown day brah.

That's actually hilarious. "how does doping in tue off season help performance in the crossfit games"? Are they for real or simply playing dumb?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Looks like WADA are wasting their time and money with all this out-of-competition testing lark in proper sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I like the cut of these guys jib

https://twitter.com/AussieCrossFit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement