Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley how are you doing this its annoying me!!
    Your logged in but your not logged in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hanley how are you doing this its annoying me!!
    Your logged in but your not logged in!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Possibly referring to the lack of a greenlight under peoples usernames.
    Go into boards.ie -> user settings -> user control panel and then change the "invisible mode" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hanley wrote: »
    I didn't see anything wrong with it tbh. Pulls just like this guy; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lyHcYKehWg

'cept he doesn't cheat by bouncing it off the floor from the top.

I think it was an upper back mobilisation exercise anyway.

Yeah thought it might've been something about the lower back, couldn't much else that didn't look good.

Anyway, slight fitness question, I'll be hitting the gym within an hour of the LC finishing, first time hitting stuff properly. Anyway, just wondering what the conventional wisdom is about starting weights. I know I can squat 75kg easily from dicking around at parties and so on, so should I start with that straight off or just go from an empty bar and work up to it over a couple of weeks?

Start a thread altogether man..

• Advertisement

Start a thread altogether man..

Nah started one before with other stuff if in but didn't really get an answer to that bit. :P

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah thought it might've been something about the lower back, couldn't much else that didn't look good.

Anyway, slight fitness question, I'll be hitting the gym within an hour of the LC finishing, first time hitting stuff properly. Anyway, just wondering what the conventional wisdom is about starting weights. I know I can squat 75kg easily from dicking around at parties and so on, so should I start with that straight off or just go from an empty bar and work up to it over a couple of weeks?

I should really clarify, you don't want to deadlift like that. Seriously.

I'll have to let someone else handle your question tho cos I'm in the middle of doing a consolidated income stmt and balance sheet!

UUUUUUGGGGHHH On Topic is sooo passé:D

Have you never really lifted before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

When you say you can squat 75kg do you mean you lifted a person or something? That's what it sounds like.

I should really clarify, you don't want to deadlift like that. Seriously.

I'll have to let someone else handle your question tho cos I'm in the middle of doing a consolidated income stmt and balance sheet!

Ugh, meant upper back. ****ing need sleep.

Also, I'm so jealous of what you're doing right now. :P

• Advertisement

When you say you can squat 75kg do you mean you lifted a person or something? That's what it sounds like.

Picked up a bar on my back from a cheap bench, probably not the best idea, and threw out 5 reps handy enough.

Picked up a bar on my back from a cheap bench, probably not the best idea, and threw out 5 reps handy enough.

Not being smart but could it have been pounds??

Not being smart but could it have been pounds??

No it was kg. The guy whose house it was was benching 40kg, and my mate stacked it with the rest of the weights til it was a little over 70kg plus the bar and he benched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

He looks a little like Drifter!! any more scea from them veggies? maybe we should send Cardio to spy on 'em :cool: (Incognito Smilie)

pfft....my legs are bigger than that...

on antoher note.....

must buy gum shield.......ouch!...

pfft....my legs are bigger than that...

on antoher note.....

must buy gum shield.......ouch!...

Get one made, well worth the expense and last for years

Theres a place down by TRooms that does 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

send me as a spy? pfft. Im tiny compared to all of you but compared to other teenagers im like the green giant dude.

send me as a spy? pfft. Im tiny compared to all of you but compared to other teenagers im like the green giant dude.

Because ur a veggie not because ur "small"!!:rolleyes:

Ok fair enough, I just wondered cause I have a habit of lifting people while drunk :o but that's generally more of a quarter squat. Do you know anyone who lifts? Imo the best thing you can do is go lift with someone who's been at it a while if that's possible. You've been on here a while so I guess you know what the proper depth is and have an idea about form, but its good to have someone watch if you can.
    Regards what weight to start with, something simple like moving up 10kg every set then picking a heavy enough weight (say 60-65) for 3-5 sets should be enough. Open to corrections if anyone has anything to add to that.

Edit; another video for funsies.

I was actually still half impressed before I saw him lift the weight, cause in fairness its more than I can handle. But after watching it I was no longer feeling that way.

Ok fair enough, I just wondered cause I have a habit of lifting people while drunk :o but that's generally more of a quarter squat. Do you know anyone who lifts? Imo the best thing you can do is go lift with someone who's been at it a while if that's possible. You've been on here a while so I guess you know what the proper depth is and have an idea about form, but its good to have someone watch if you can.
    Regards what weight to start with, something simple like moving up 10kg every set then picking a heavy enough weight (say 60-65) for 3-5 sets should be enough. Open to corrections if anyone has anything to add to that.

Aye I'm always lifting people when I'm drunk. Last 18th I was at had a big bouncy slide so there were a lot of people gettin suplexed and electric chaired onto that. :P

Right so, I'll give that a try. Probably shouldn't push it after popping my knee a few months ago, but it's not like I'd be missing work or anything. :P

I have a mate who hits the gym a few times a week but he does mostly arm stuff and tries to keep his back vertical when squatting...

I suppose starting a log and tryin to get vids in wouldn't be a bad thing. Have a fair idea of form and that but I'll play it safe and make use of the guys working in the gym, few of them are fairly massive. Thanks for the tips. :)

I should probably try and quit smoking too. :P

SWEET JESUS and he's in a suit FFS!!

• Advertisement

lol yeah that's what I thought to myself.

I should probably try and quit smoking too. :P

Many a day?? What brand

Many a day?? What brand

I'd say I'm on 15-20 a day since the leaving cert started, usually 10 a day and 20 if I'm on the piss. I smoke Carroll's. Only started smoking because the factory was in the town here, supporting local industry and that. :P

I'd say I'm on 15-20 a day since the leaving cert started, usually 10 a day and 20 if I'm on the piss. I smoke Carroll's. Only started smoking because the factory was in the town here, supporting local industry and that. :P

Ugh

Ugh

What answer were you hoping for? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I was actually still half impressed before I saw him lift the weight, cause in fairness its more than I can handle. But after watching it I was no longer feeling that way.

Ha ha i was waiting for him to **** himself on the deadlift!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Talking about testing your limits :pac:

Was waiting for him to fall backwards...

It's funny how he's now pulling 500+ with good form and people here are still laughing at him...

EDIT: For any one who cares - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyvuwIrHKk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

It's funny how he's now pulling 500+ with good form and people here are still laughing at him...

EDIT: For any one who cares - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyvuwIrHKk

his feet are really close together in that video, much more so than the first one, i don't think i'd feel i'd have enough balance or stability dead lifting like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

In fairness it's a gym lift, he just wasn't giving up. If you're training and you're perilously close to completing a rep you're gonna hitch. Why wouldn't ya? Nice grip strength he has.
    his feet are really close together in that video, much more so than the first one, i don't think i'd feel i'd have enough balance or stability dead lifting like that

It's actually highly recommended by a lot of guys, I was gonna try it before I switched to sumo. I needed to change something about my technique and I considered close stance.

Here's Mr Wendler, who's an advocate

He gives some great technique advice in the video description.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement