Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I can't figure it out at all. Popped up a s a new vid on the youtube is all I can say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »

I assume that's from last weeks bodypower expo in the uk.

Benni pulled 1,015lb, which is 460.4kg. Bolton tried to break the record by 0.1kg. That's kinda sad.

Mellor wrote: »
    Has he lifted 460.0kg before? I've seen lots of attempts from the last 4 years.

The current record is 460.4kg (1015lbs) I think?

AFAIK Bolton's best is 457.5kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Hanley wrote: »

Benni pulled 1,015lb, which is 460.4kg. Bolton tried to break the record by 0.1kg. That's kinda sad.

Am I right in saying benni did it raw and bolton uses gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

benni >> bolton

end of

• Advertisement

dave80 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying benni did it raw and bolton uses gear?

Benni's was raw, yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Benni's was raw, yes.

How much does gear help with deadlifting?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Outside of official meet. Is that even allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I can't answer this from experience yet but Hanley can.
    It really depends on the individual, style of pulling, gear being used- Single or multi-ply etc.

How much does gear help with deadlifting?

The better a technical lifter you are, the more it helps.

For me, maybe 5-10kg. For Bolton... I honestly don't know. Somewhere in the region of 20-30kg perhaps? His best raw pull was never that far behind his best equipped.

I always felt much 'healthier' and found recovery from a workout easier if I was training in equipment. So that's certainly a factor too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The better a technical lifter you are, the more it helps.

So the technique is the same regardless of gear, unlike wearing a bench shirt?

For me, maybe 5-10kg. For Bolton... I honestly don't know. Somewhere in the region of 20-30kg perhaps? His best raw pull was never that far behind his best equipped.

I always felt much 'healthier' and found recovery from a workout easier if I was training in equipment. So that's certainly a factor too.

Cheers.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Outside of official meet. Is that even allowed?

Benni pulled his in lb, Bolton pulled in kg. They both selected legal weights, so yup, perfectly fine.
    So the technique is the same regardless of gear, unlike wearing a bench shirt?

There's subtle differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭COH

There's subtle differences.

The only point of reference I have with regards to equipped lifting is a brief stint in a squat suit, and found that to be far more technical than raw lifting, but the weight was far greater than raw lifts. I've never heard of deadlift suits giving people huge extra poundages, particularly using a conventional stance. Did you find the technical gap between deadlifting raw and equipped to be as great as between raw/equipped squatting?
    I always felt much 'healthier' and found recovery from a workout easier if I was training in equipment.

Is that just because the percentage carryover from the equipment was relatively small in proportion to the support the equipment gave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

benni >> bolton

end of

After Hanley confirmed boltons best, i found this. I assume it'd still official.
    The record for a raw deadlift (a deadlift performed without the aid of a deadlift suit where only a belt is allowed) is 461.3 kg (1015 lbs) by Benedikt Magnússon.

The record for an equipped deadlift (a deadlift performed using a deadlift suit using a standard bar and plates where straps are disallowed) is 457.5 kg (1,009 lb) by Andy Bolton.

Although, 1015 is closer to 461.4lbs
    In case people haven't see nit

Hummer tyre deadlift. A taller deadlift like. An event that Glenn Ross once held the record for. Benni beaten this year by a few people, Mark Felix & Zydrunas Savickas for example.

COH wrote: »
    The only point of reference I have with regards to equipped lifting is a brief stint in a squat suit, and found that to be far more technical than raw lifting, but the weight was far greater than raw lifts. I've never heard of deadlift suits giving people huge extra poundages, particularly using a conventional stance. Did you find the technical gap between deadlifting raw and equipped to be as great as between raw/equipped squatting?

The technical gap’s much less, but I was never a great technician in a DL suit so that that for what it’s worth.
    Is that just because the percentage carryover from the equipment was relatively small in proportion to the support the equipment gave you?

I felt healthier in equipment in general tbh. I know my elbows were basically destroyed last year, but I doubt I could have kept that intensity up raw and kept making progress and remained injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Dear gym,
    buy these please :P

160437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

They look like some sort of mobility aid.

And by mobility I mean old folk getting around, not the new black.

hXc

5464680085_30196e103a_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hummer tyre deadlift. A taller deadlift like.

Sorry, meant to link this one, had the hummer open too, obvious copied the wrong one

I love the look on his face afterwards

He is 98kg, and totalled third amongst a field of 8 guys at least 30kg heavier than him with no weight classes.

And thats 425 below parallel in single ply.

That's impressive, right?

d'Oracle wrote: »

He is 98kg, and totalled third amongst a field of 8 guys at least 30kg heavier than him with no weight classes.

And thats 425 below parallel in single ply.

That's impressive, right?

I can't see the vid, but who is it? Belyaev?

I can't see the vid, but who is it? Belyaev?

The very lad.

Here is the leader board: http://titans2011.base4you-test.ru/

d'Oracle wrote: »
    The very lad.

Here is the leader board: http://titans2011.base4you-test.ru/

Probably the best since Ed Coan imo. Even his raw numbers are outrageous. Something like 320/230/360 I think?!

IPF usually streams their comps live on powerlifting-ipf.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

I laughed at every kick....quality stuff!:D
    5 years training getting kicked in the nuts....whyyy?!

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »

That's a load of sh*te. He wasnt kicking with anywhere near enough force.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement