Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Popped into lifestyle sports today and spotted a pair of ladies capri pants from Reebok, apparently they help to tone the thighs and bum... :confused:

They've been out a good year now!

Even worse...I saw a male PT wearing those Reebok shape up runners...:D:D.had to ask him about it...his answer...ya can't diss something until you try it..valid answer...I still thought it was funny though:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

gymfreak wrote: »
    They've been out a good year now!

Even worse...I saw a male PT wearing those Reebok shape up runners...:D:D.had to ask him about it...his answer...ya can't diss something until you try it..valid answer...I still thought it was funny though:pac::pac::pac:

I've a vague memory of seeing toning tops before alright. The capris weigh a tonne so it's quite possible you would lose weight lugging them around. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I hate getting 'back into it'.

Just as you think you've gotten to the stage where you can enjoy squats on a Monday, you throw in something like burpees on a Friday and it leaves you with horrible DOMS.

Going to see Jurassic Park later, twas the first film I ever saw in the cinema :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Burpees give you doms? Seriously?

Ben Folds Five ftw btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Yes, after two years away from exercise, coming back and trying exercises I haven't done in two years give me DOMS, seriously.

In another two weeks they'll be grand though and I'll be able to blast them out regularly.

Aye Ben Folds is the man! Bitches Ain't **** is my alarm clock :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

He's back. Everyone run for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

*Waves* lost my squat virginity over the last 2 weeks, :o:o

Love em, can only manage about 40kg's so far, question, I'm using a Smith machine in my gym as its quite limited, when I'm squatting the bar goes across the top of my shoulder blades which is fine, but the bone in the middle of my blades just a bit higher is in direct contact with the bar and gets quite sore.

Any tips or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Love em, can only manage about 40kg's so far, question, I'm using a Smith machine in my gym as its quite limited, when I'm squatting the bar goes across the top of my shoulder blades which is fine, but the bone in the middle of my blades just a bit higher is in direct contact with the bar and gets quite sore.

Any tips or advice?

stop using the smith machine for a start...it's not good for squatting anything.
    maybe use a towel/piece of cloth around your shoulders to cushion the bar.
    also concentrate on keeping your shoulders back, chest out and head up.
    if there is no squat rack in your gym there are lots of variations you could try with dumbells like goblet squats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Any tips or advice?

1) as said, try to avoid the smith machine for squats - in the absence of a rack, goblet squats and split squats (aka bulgarian squats/rear foot elevated split squats) are a better option

2) your bar position is wrong - sounds like it's a little bit high. Try to play about with positions a little to find a more comfortable one. Failing that, a towel around the bar will have to do, tha being said it places the bar in a higher position and changes the dynamics of the lift somewhat. Not too much of a concern on the smith machine, but something to watch out for on normal squats.

In summary - goblet/split squats are preferable, fiddle about with where the bar rests on your back to find a more comfortable position, use a towel as a last resort :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Dathai wrote: »
    He's back. Everyone run for it.

Looks like he got fatter but smaller. Flatters to deceive in my opinion. Don't think he has the WR in him. Benni has him every time in my book.

kevpants wrote: »
    Looks like he got fatter but smaller. Flatters to deceive in my opinion. Don't think he has the WR in him. Benni has him every time in my book.

Agree. He'll always look the part, but realistically, there's never been a point where I've looked at him and said "yup, he could break the all time DL record".

AFAIK he's just off an injury. First vid of him back training, so I'm eager to see where he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

but the bone in the middle of my blades just a bit higher is in direct contact with the bar and gets quite sore.

Eh your spine?!

The last thing ya want is breaking a spinous process.

AFAIK he's just off an injury. First vid of him back training, so I'm eager to see where he's going.

I'll take bets on him getting injured within 18 months again. There's just not "enough of him" for him to be pulling with the big boys and his technique is amazing to watch but he's going to get badly hurt again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

speaking of grip, I saw these "eco balls" on greatoutdoors

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=30_255_192&products_id=21841

says it leaves no trace on rocks, so wonder if it would be useful for people in gyms with a ban on chalk. They also have liquid chalk which could be used.

I was looking for pulleys, thinking of making one of these on the left.
    DreamMachine.jpg
    in effect it halves your weight for ring training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Saw them in concert a while back, she took a huge gulp of water and then spat it all over the front row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Molly wrote: »
    Saw them in concert a while back, she took a huge gulp of water and then spat it all over the front row.

*opens mouth*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Is my response to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

A few events from the WSM finals. Big Z strict pressing the 160 log...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DreamMachine.jpg
    I had a go of a similar setup to this using just the rings and my smooth pullup bar. You take the rings off the bar and rethread them so now you have loops. Now sling the loops over the bar and step into each dangling loop with each leg, left leg in left loop, etc.
    So they look like the loops on this guy
    full-body-harness1.gif

Now you hold onto the rings and the loops are half lifting you. The friction on the bar means it is nowhere near as good as the proper pulleys but you get a good idea of it. I was able to do "ring turned out dips", which I cannot normally do, and I could do a slow controlled negative muscleup, which I also cannot normally do. It could be useful for beginners even training the support hold, which you can also do with rings turned out very easily.

Looks like something from George Michael's gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looks like something from George Michael's gaff.
    Straight people don't have freaky bondage suspension trainer sex anymore? ;)
    I must of missed the memo.

A random one, but does anyone know the square footage of Morton Stadium gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was the gym built in recent years or was it just existing rooms fitted out internally.
    If it was the last 5 or 6 years it might be online

Mellor wrote: »
    Was the gym built in recent years or was it just existing rooms fitted out internally.
    If it was the last 5 or 6 years it might be online

Nah it's a refit of an existing unit.

i'm going to estimate 1,000-1,200sqft... Anyone think that's ball park?

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Nah it's a refit of an existing unit.

i'm going to estimate 1,000-1,200sqft... Anyone think that's ball park?

You mean the gym as in th weights room not includng the hall where they do the running/pole vault etc?

1200 sq ft seems about right for that room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement