Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rubadub wrote: »
    First time out you'd be lucky to be able to support yourself -seriously. Negative only dips would be a good start too, adjust the rings until they are at your sides, bend knees lower yourself, stand up and repeat. Full dips are very hard first time out but you will get used to the stability. The shorter the distance between rings and bar the easier it is.

Nice one. Cheers.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dathai wrote: »
    Muscle-ups are worth trying too.

Has anybody seen a decent muscle up progression?
    I jsut end up floping all over the palce when I try.

I seen a page with tips for doing it on a fixed bar, how to do a false grip on a bar. Couldn't even manage the grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Mellor wrote: »

I seen a page with tips for doing it on a fixed bar, how to do a false grip on a bar. Couldn't even manage the grip.

Fairly sure that gymnastics wod site had one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Some good stuff on the crossfit journal too.

• Advertisement

thanks lads,
    I've manage to do some sort of kipping pull-ups now, so want to progress to kipped MU,
    Anytime I 've tried at the gym so far I reckon i've looked liek I was into some sort of Auto-erotic asphyxiatioa

No shame in that, easily one of the most extreme sports out there Mellor.

thanks lads,
    I've manage to do some sort of kipping pull-ups now, so want to progress to kipped MU,
    Anytime I 've tried at the gym so far I reckon i've looked liek I was into some sort of Auto-erotic asphyxiatioa

Then just do strict muscle ups :D

Seriously tho, the figure Jeff Tucker (CF gymnastics guy) gave when he was talking about MUs was that if you can do 5 dead hang ring pull ups and 5 ring dips, you should be able to do a strict muscle up. It really is a skill exercise - I genuinely find it quite easy to do a few now, that change happend in about 7-10 days. I didn't get stronger in that period, just understood the movement better.

I'm in no way qualified to teach the muscle up (not til after this weekend, wahey! :D ), but the things that got it for me were:
    -lean slightly back as you pull the rings to the middle of your lower chest (keeping the hands close together)
    -on the way up, with straight legs slightly elevate them like you're doing an L-sit
    -once the rings are almost at your chest, push your head and chest thru like you're trying to touch your feet (go thru - not "up")
    -keep the rings in close by your side and if you do it all properly you'll be in the bottom of a dip, so eh - just finish

I find MUs easier from full extension than half hang, and trying to kip throws me all over the place, tho that may just be an issue w/ tekkers.

And whoops…. You said fixed bar.

Re: false grip - I know what you mean, I’ve never been able to do it comfortably, but can on rings. I’ve done MUs on a fixed bar before and never really felt the need to false grip. Most of the points still apply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dathai wrote: »
    Fairly sure that gymnastics wod site had one.
    not sure if you mean gymnasticbodies, but here is a page on them thread by the coach there. He calls them Chinese pullups.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1656

If you had resistance bands you might be able to practice the false grip a bit more, and negative muscleups. Or do body rows with the false grip.

I must have a go at them again myself. Just looking at that mango nutcase on youtube again, the yelp out of him at 25sec is priceless.

Lots of other tutorials on youtube too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

^ that was cat, the spotter was rowing the weight while your man benched it and danced around with his feet between sets.

(I'm aware it's impressive weight to be lifting... if you're lifting it yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thats about 250/260 kg :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

JJayoo wrote: »
    Thats about 250/260 kg :eek:

200kg bench 50kg row :D. Still a big bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭COH

200kg bench 50kg row :D. Still a big bench.

That was totally all him bro.

EDIT: May also have been lightweight baby

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    It was Janz gymnastics on 3 rock road
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Janz-Gymnastics-Club/209031475802724?sk=wall&filter=12

Has some pics, a proper high ring setup and trampoline.

open day tomorrow there
    313382_262362927136245_209031475802724_695502_918375872_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Not sure if this has been posted but...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

^^^ Saw it on Rx Muscle last week, still hilarious though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

anyone know what the gym is like in the crowne plaza in blanch?

anyone know what the gym is like in the crowne plaza in blanch?

ce83c8a40c2b93e8a4795bb58b8104f7.jpg

meh...ill make do with that...ill sneak in a 20kg KB as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

im gonna save this video...and every **** day i have in work im going to watch it and remember.....this is why i build the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

For the week that's in it
    http://www.forgingelitesarcasm.com

A special shout out to Hanley, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Somehow I didn't know 'til now she could do this, I'd obviously just spent too much time watching videos of her bending frying pans or something.

Is it generally reckoned she's not at all used steroids / hormones or whatever?
    I certainly didn't get the impression she had... but I wouldn't have a clue.
    Either way. All the <3

Hanley wrote: »
    And whoops…. You said fixed bar.

Re: false grip - I know what you mean, I’ve never been able to do it comfortably, but can on rings. I’ve done MUs on a fixed bar before and never really felt the need to false grip. Most of the points still apply anyway.

Only gettign back to this now

Your tips about L-Sit position maeks the msot sense. i've seen that mentioned before so i'll give it a shot.
    I checked beast skills again and the false grip on a fixed bar is for slow muscle-ups, ie gymnast level. Dunno how I missed it, but glad I can ignore now.
    I think if I work on getting the height.
    My gym has a trx statino but no rings. So gonna have to wait to try them out.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Article on Kendrick Farris

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20111018/SPORTS/110180332/Kendrick-Farris-aims-second-U-S-Olympic-team-berth?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

Says he's jerked 225 in training, wonder if he's still squat jerking.

Pan Am's are next week with the World's in two weeks (they seem very close together tbh), should have a better idea of who goes to London then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

I think he experimented with what he calls a "kick jerk" for a while this year. He's not gonna win the olympics though. Entry totals for the worlds are out too. No sign of Tatiana Kasharina but Illyn seems to be finished whatever bender he was on after the olympics, same with Aramnau. Good to see Chigishev back on a list. Presume he'll blow his quad again though :(. Mendes is down for a 389 total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I think he experimented with what he calls a "kick jerk" for a while this year. He's not gonna win the olympics though. Entry totals for the worlds are out too. No sign of Tatiana Kasharina but Illyn seems to be finished whatever bender he was on after the olympics, same with Aramnau. Good to see Chigishev back on a list. Presume he'll blow his quad again though :(. Mendes is down for a 389 total.

Cheers for that

He's no chance of a medal at all at the Olympics, presuming he gets there, maybe a c&J one at the worlds. I'm not too sure of the points system for the Olympic but I presume if the US get two spots himself and Vaughn will get them. Hard to see Mendes getting one unless he pulls out a big total tbh.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing Aramnau and Klokov. Rybakov is back too. The Belorussians have fairly low openers though. Judging by Chigishev's last few comps I'd say he'll bomb out here too, don't think he even competed at the Russian nationals, although his openers are very high, something like 205/245.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement