Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Yeah he wasn't at the nationals. Such a shame though, it seemed like he could snatch 210 whenever he felt like it, this Chechen monster is in the supers, I think he weighs about 190kg

I hope there's a massive scrap for the 105s too. Not sure I want to be within the blast radius on the off chance Klokov beats Aramnau.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Says he's jerked 225 in training, wonder if he's still squat jerking.

I imagine he is sticking with it, or a minor variation. On lots of his youtube vids (200+ lift), somebody often comments "you need to learn how to jerk dude". He replys something like "I hold the US record, maybe everyone else needs to learn to squat"
    DeadEd wrote:
    Mendes is down for a 389 total.
    He got that at the nationals, "coming off an injury" - Broz quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine he is sticking with it, or a minor variation. On lots of his youtube vids (200+ lift), somebody often comments "you need to learn how to jerk dude". He replys something like "I hold the US record, maybe everyone else needs to learn to squat"

Like Ed says, Farris said he'll kick jerk at the Pan Am's. I'm not sure about the squat jerk, in competition he seems to miss more than he gets but he's not that far off the world record so..

Dead Ed wrote: »

Incidentally klokov has done 225 now.

Some lifts in that gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

^^^ *happy place*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Incidentally klokov has done 225 now.

Some lifts in that gym.

The two in the back don't even bat an eyelid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

WTF is a "kick jerk"?? (I can't watch the vid)

It's like a splot!

It's like a splot!

Is that an art attack reference?

Hanley wrote: »
    Is that an art attack reference?

Negatory! it's an actual word used to describe the half split/half squat thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

It looks like an aborted one night stand of a powerjerk and split jerk. I wonder why he can't split jerk like a normal person?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

token wrote: »
    It looks like an aborted one night stand of a powerjerk and split jerk. I wonder why he can't split jerk like a normal person?

Land of the Free and the home of the guy who is miles behind Lu Yong.

I wonder why he can't split jerk like a normal person?

Racist!

Probably because he squat jerks 200+ fairly regularly. If he had a better snatch he'd be world class.

Probably because he squat jerks 200+ fairly regularly. If he had a better snatch he'd be world class.

Seems to miss them a lot in competition though? He looks shaky receiving them compared to other guys that you see doing squat jerks on world stage.

Seems to miss them a lot in competition though? He looks shaky receiving them compared to other guys that you see doing squat jerks on world stage.

Yeah he does, I don't know, I'm sure it's his best chance at a big jerk though or he would change. If you see a lot of the jerks he makes they're more like power jerks caught parallel or above.

It's a weird lift, when he hits the bottom it looks like he's going to break but when he stands up it looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

If you started smolov with a front squat of 150, what should you expect after the 3 week base mesocycle? 160-170?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

from 70sbig.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Probably mentioned elsewhere but theres a BB documentary on RTE 2 on monday 10.20pm

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/bazs_extreme_worlds.html
    Episode Two

Bodybuilding is a sport that takes extreme mental and physical dedication and is an extremely tough lifestyle choice for those involved. In this programme Baz meets Niall Kinsella and Aly Dowling, two dedicated bodybuilders, and journeys with them in the weeks leading up to Ireland's biggest bodybuilding competition.

As Baz watches their body shape and psyche change dramatically he is desperate to find out what drives these people and why? And will they achieve their dream?
    come clips up already

In the one below its says they "drank shots of alcohol to pump up their veins" -is this for the diuretic effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's like a splot!
    He said its the same as a splot. He always called it kick jerk, somebody else called it splot on youtube.

I think the squat jerk is less forgiving to form mistakes and you'll have to bail out. But its prob the most efficient if done with perfect form and stability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Anyone in Raw tonight? That was eventful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Anyone in Raw tonight? That was eventful!

Details!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Details!!!

Lights kept going over at the end wall, every few minutes cos of the rain. Then eventually, the whole place was plunged into darkness (hope no one was squatting heavy at the time)! Came back on momentarily but the lads had to close up shop! Walked out to leave and the corridor was already locked (nice one coh :P ) so it was a nice wade through a foot of water in the lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody have a link on Dan John talking about "gooseneck pullups", he probably has some other name for them, like wrist pullups or something. Saw a youtube clip and a guy mentioned him recommending them.

http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/52

I was doing them to practise the false grip.

-
    Cleaned my grippers, just put them in a jug of boiling water with plenty of washing up liquid, left for an hour and the water was manky. Brushed with a nail brush and all the gunk came off and knurling looked fine again, better grip on them now. Do not leave them too long and dry them after or you would risk rusting. I only had the handles submerged.

Jesus the CrossFit forum is even worse than this place!

Jesus the CrossFit forum is even worse than this place!

It burns

It burns

Every thread that wasn't something off topic which I've posted in so far has caused me to face palm.

There's been someone come on and say you can't get a big squat/DL without using a GHR.

There's one about Rippetoe's squat tekkers being good.

I got lashed into about HR because I asked why my MHR was lower on a rower than during a weight based triplet (someone went on a rant about 220-age - ehhh way to completely miss the point). This was after I was told HR is a poor predictor of intensity and I sohuldn't bother with it.

There's one of a dude boasting about an 11 year old kid lifting and the dude's gonna cripple himself by 13 if he keeps doing what he's doing.

And I've only been a member for like a week. FML.

Google CJ Kim the greatest crossfit troll ever. It took a while but he eventually managed to get himself banned by nothing more than quoting glassmanisms and getting crossfitters themselves to ridicule CF in response. Genius.

Google CJ Kim the greatest crossfit troll ever. It took a while but he eventually managed to get himself banned by nothing more than quoting glassmanisms and getting crossfitters themselves to ridicule CF in response. Genius.

...and that's my day at work tomorrow down the tubes.

Also got given out to in that GHR thread cos I quoted my numbers, dude came back with "oh well I did 635 and 755 raw using a GHR". So I did some more research, and it turns out he's an ex pro strongman who did them at 280. Good numbers, but not suddenly all that impressive.

This sh*t is depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

There's one about Rippetoe's squat tekkers being good.

I thought Rippetoe was persona non grata over there these days? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement