Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »

I’ve never met him either, but purely from looking at him, he looks a bit skinny at 85kg (assuming that’s his weight now).
    I was going on the assumption he could add 7kg and still be 85 class.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Anyone got a translation for the end interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Think Dimas used to walk around at 90 odd (and had bests of 190/225, 320back squat, 280 front squat), although I dunno if you "need" a 280kg front squat to clean 225.

I think a good rule of thumb is front squatting 20-30% more than your clean or 3-5 reps to guarantee making it, so 280 would make sense.

Depends on a few other things too of course.
    Mellor wrote:
    I was going on the assumption he could add 7kg and still be 85 class.

I'd say most top lifters weigh in the 94's or 105's at his height, maybe even supers plus he looks like he could put on a lot more weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I have recently started squatting and deadlifting with my runners off(socks on), I find it much more comfortable and more stable for lifting, and find my form much better this way too.

Is this a bad idea in the long run? I’m not lifting huge weight, squatting about 100kg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Shouldn't do either in trainers. I still do both in socks. Hasn't done me any harm, weightlifting shoes or work boots can make squatting more comfortable for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

A lot of gyms might be against you walking around in socks. I got in trouble about it in Kingfisher in Galway, the reason was that if a weight dropped on my foot it would do so much more damage to my toes then if I was wearing my converse... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

A lot of gyms might be against you walking around in socks. I got in trouble about it in Kingfisher in Galway, the reason was that if a weight dropped on my foot it would do so much more damage to my toes then if I was wearing my converse... :rolleyes:

come to think of it if people wore steel toe caps theyd probably be far better off then in some of the wobble board runners you see in the gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rte 2 in half an hour
    20:00 Ireland's Strongest Man 2011
    Twelve competitors battle it out over two days in Derry City for the Finn McCool trophy, competing in events including the tyre flip, the overarm rope pull and the deadlift hold. Hosted by Glenn Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Just watched this, insane:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

rubadub wrote: »
    rte 2 in half an hour
    20:00 Ireland's Strongest Man 2011
    Twelve competitors battle it out over two days in Derry City for the Finn McCool trophy, competing in events including the tyre flip, the overarm rope pull and the deadlift hold. Hosted by Glenn Ross.

i thought this was incredibly shít

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gymsoldier wrote: »
    These must have been on the same day, he was in the army and sacked when it was found he took cocaine, also lost a gold medal due to it. He is huge, I'd say loads of wannabe bodybuilders would be jealous and then sickened when you think these gymnasts would be trying to minimize hypertrophy.

2363093405_262a504827.jpg
    7d8c5-Yuri_van_Gelder_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is mick still the owner of IrishLifting ? Football team at home have built a gym onto the changing rooms and want some kit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭COH

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is mick still the owner of IrishLifting ? Football team at home have built a gym onto the changing rooms and want some kit

No, but Irish-Lifting is still operating as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

For **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I know, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Great.... we gonna do this again?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Woah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Heh, oopsie! All fixed now, nothing to see here....

g'em wrote: »

What happened, what happened!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Da Za wrote: »
    g'em wrote: »

What happened, what happened!?!

Nothing........ these aren't the droids you're looking for either.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Christ...they will never ever ever show that again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

two a days and work....fook that ****...job needs too go! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

400kg DL with no belt.
    JAYSIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

400kg DL with no belt.
    JAYSIS!

400kg makes my 170kg look like childsplay! On the subject of belts when do you think one would start to need a belt for max DLs? As mentioned above my 1RM is a 170kg, reckon by Christmas i'll be hopefully pulling a 180/190 at 90-92kg BW at 6ft.

Does it depend on the person? Flexibility? A comfort/low risk thing? I never tend to get back injuries and I do a lot of core work anyway in order to keep the midsection strong. BUUUUTTT sometimes I feel I leave a little bit in the gym in particular with the deadlift from a fear of pushing too hard, resulting in injury. For example after my 170 the other night I felt I had a 50/50 shot at a 180 but decided not to go for it and I don't know whether that's a good thing (lower risk of injury) or maybe i'm depriving myself of much quicker/bigger gains!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Wollwead wrote: »
    400kg makes my 170kg look like childsplay! On the subject of belts when do you think one would start to need a belt for max DLs? As mentioned above my 1RM is a 170kg, reckon by Christmas i'll be hopefully pulling a 180/190 at 90-92kg BW at 6ft.

Does it depend on the person? Flexibility? A comfort/low risk thing? I never tend to get back injuries and I do a lot of core work anyway in order to keep the midsection strong. BUUUUTTT sometimes I feel I leave a little bit in the gym in particular with the deadlift from a fear of pushing too hard, resulting in injury. For example after my 170 the other night I felt I had a 50/50 shot at a 180 but decided not to go for it and I don't know whether that's a good thing (lower risk of injury) or maybe i'm depriving myself of much quicker/bigger gains!

I'd put on a belt at around 85-90% of 1RM so as soon as you're in the 145kg bracket and above id put a belt on.

Make sure you get a proper powerlifting belt, thats 10mm in thickness the whole way around. Single prong buckle belt is what you should be looking for.

One arm chin ups, walking on hands = awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

THat girls gone strong movement is the biggest joke going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Hanley wrote: »
    THat girls gone strong movement is the biggest joke going.

I'm in between two minds about it. At the moment I'm following their posts and liking a good bit of their stuff. It's not that what they're posting is fantastic content wise or really has much to contribute content wise its just that there are not many female logs for me to read, nor do i know many females that train, so in a way i just like reading their posts as insights into what they do and why...on the otherhand the whole female empowerment thing is abit OTT and they do like the ole self praise a bit too :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement