Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There just crossing over into strongman territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Someone is going to get hurt me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Someone is going to get hurt me thinks

how much do those plates weigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Tigger wrote: »

4.5 or 5 kg each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Too much, by the looks of it.

I am aghast at that video. Pure stupidity.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

d'Oracle wrote: »
    4.5 or 5 kg each.

whatsw with the reverse grip
    i dead 180 an i dont reverse grip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Too much, by the looks of it.

I am aghast at that video. Pure stupidity.

Nate

Ffs - retarded altogether.
    Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Just out of interest, can continental c&js be used in weightlifting competitions i.e. the olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Surely that video was a piss take, yeh????

• Advertisement

whatsw with the reverse grip
    i dead 180 an i dont reverse grip

Do you deadlift 180 double overhand with an axle?

Can't say for sure, not having been there.

An axle is by definition wider than than an oly bar, making it a lot harder to grip.
    A lot of strongmen use the alternate grip to get it up there because of the combination of the thickness and weight. You'll see poundstone doing it in that video JJayoo posted. There is a video on youtube of Magnuss Samuelsson using a mixed grip which he then shifts to the crook of his arm on the supinated side. And he has an incredible grip.

At the risk of sounding snide, you often see people utilizing techniques in crossfit videos with little to no regard for why the techniques may be necessary. (Although this could be said for a lot of videos people put up.)

DamienH wrote: »
    Just out of interest, can continental c&js be used in weightlifting competitions i.e. the olympics?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Can someone explain why those girls have a sh1tload of weight on the bar and seem to be really struggling- is it normal to be learning that type of move with that much weight to start with? Or do they know what they're doing and the bar is just too heavy? I was wincing through that vid ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Glowing wrote: »
    Can someone explain why those girls have a sh1tload of weight on the bar and seem to be really struggling- is it normal to be learning that type of move with that much weight to start with? Or do they know what they're doing and the bar is just too heavy? I was wincing through that vid ...

I wish I knew. The stupid plates confuse me, if they only weigh 5kg then why not a 20 on each end for jaysus sake.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

That has to be a p1ss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I really don't think it is! What is the normal procedure for learning that move anyone?

I wish I knew. The stupid plates confuse me, if they only weigh 5kg then why not a 20 on each end for jaysus sake.

I would guess that its just easier to add 10kgs at a time.
    I have a bar with 10kgs loaded. I want to add 10. I have 2 choices.
    1) Remove the present 5kg plates and load on 10 kg plates.
    2) Load on 5kg plates.

And so on...

Or it just could be cos it looks bigger, standard crossfit video procedure.
    Michael 09 wrote: »
    That has to be a p1ss take?

Its people at a strongman course, learning the Axle lift, with many of them doing badly with it and one or two doing pretty well with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Or it just could be cos it looks bigger, standard crossfit video procedure.

I think this is the real answer, I've seen the same carry on in a few videos.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Holy Sh1t!! That video is fookin hilarious. Surely extracting the urine???

Glowing wrote: »
    I really don't think it is! What is the normal procedure for learning that move anyone?

Its not olympic lifting.
    The issue isn't technique, its that a couple of those girls really just aren't strong enough for the weight.

I'm sort of having trouble seeing what all the fuss is about.
    Like, this is pretty far down the hierarchy of retarded crossfit videos.
    Compared to Gas-masks, Softball throws and lionising a girl for bulling through a tearing shoulder labrum, this is pretty much average gym behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Jesus, even the dog is missing a leg. I wonder what WOD it lost that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Watched Warrior the other night...he is freaking huge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gymfreak wrote: »
    Surely that video was a piss take, yeh????
    its not liked anyway
    71 likes, 3,068 dislikes, over 100,000 views and comments disabled.

Using the thick bar is interesting for an exercise like this, I find I can actually overhead press more weight with thicker dumbbells, and I can manage far less weight if deadlifting with a thick bar (in my case fat gripz), so it would make it quite different than using a normal bar with more weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I think part of Hardy's body shape was down to the fact that he was shaping himself for playing Bane in the new Batman movie. It's all about the traps with Bane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

excuse my ignorance but is that reverse grip deadlift/power clean/jerk an actual lift tought by crossfit ? im being serious by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

A lot of strongmen use the alternate grip to get it up there because of the combination of the thickness and weight. You'll see poundstone doing it in that video JJayoo posted. There is a video on youtube of Magnuss Samuelsson using a mixed grip which he then shifts to the crook of his arm on the supinated side. And he has an incredible grip.

Apollon's Axle. The plates don't move independently of the bar. The wheel is welded to the axle.

The axle in the vid is probably a 2'' bar with no collars or bearings. A little different I'd say. Unofficial record set this year BTW. An amazing lift. (192kg)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

GASMANN wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but is that reverse grip deadlift/power clean/jerk an actual lift tought by crossfit ? im being serious by the way

That exercise is known as the continental clean. It's a technique used by the savagely strong to safely get extremely heavy weights from floor to overhead. It seems however, that it has been co-opted by the savagely average to get weights part of the way over their heads in as ugly and unsafe a manner as possible, forgoing all considerations about form, biomechanics and safety.

Or just skip my paragraph and say it's Crossfit.

GASMANN wrote: »

Crossfit use a lot of different exercises from a lot of different sports/exercise regimes etc.
    All crossfit gyms are free to programme how they see fit. So some may teach it, some may not. I don't think anyone would think of it as a core exercise of crossfit like say a power clean or clean and jerk.

In some crossfit gyms they use strongman stuff, probably as a consequence of Rob Orlando, a crossfit gym coach/owner, high profile Crossfit athlete, former strongman and teacher of the Strongman certification which this video may have come from.

The lift you are referring to is a continental clean.
    The continental clean is a strongman lift and is as as old as the hills.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Apollon's Axle. The plates don't move independently of the bar. The wheel is welded to the axle.

The axle in the vid is probably a 2'' bar with no collars or bearings. A little different I'd say. Unofficial record set this year BTW. An amazing lift. (192kg)

Its still a bastard when it gets anyway heavy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement