Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

That exercise is known as the continental clean. It's a technique used by the savagely strong to safely get extremely heavy weights from floor to overhead. It seems however, that it has been co-opted by the savagely average to get weights part of the way over their heads in as ugly and unsafe a manner as possible, forgoing all considerations about form, biomechanics and safety.

Or just skip my paragraph and say it's Crossfit.

well i might give it a try so, 3 sets of 12 at a light weight or 5x5 and go heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

blah88 wrote: »

i'm forever reading that peds grow the traps more than the rest

just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 39,359 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That exercise is known as the continental clean.

Minor issue. But something I was wondering,
    Is it actually continental clean. I thought that "clean" was so named because its a smooth, efficient movement. The other option being the continental style favoured by those in mainland europe (on the continent).

Anyway, I just something I was wondering. Obviously the phrase continental clean is highlight that its thwe lift refered to (and not a continental breakfast)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »
    Is it actually continental clean. I thought that "clean" was so named because its a smooth, efficient movement. The other option being the continental style favoured by those in mainland europe (on the continent).

Anyway, I just something I was wondering. Obviously the phrase continental clean is highlight that its thwe lift refered to (and not a continental breakfast)

You're probably right.
    Wiki would agree anyway and what an excellent bit of reading to start my days procrastination. Continental breakfasts suck.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/05/continental-clean-jerk-jim-halliday.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I think it's continental to distinguish it from the Full Irish/British Clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

tom hardys traps are like that from constant juicing.he may have been doing pulling excercises which will make his traps grow but hes been juicing so your traps blow up in since.its from the androgen receptors in your delts and traps.makes them grow without training em

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

alexsmith wrote: »
    tom hardys traps are like that from constant juicing.he may have been doing pulling excercises which will make his traps grow but hes been juicing so your traps blow up in since.its from the androgen receptors in your delts and traps.makes them grow without training em

Can you back that up with a scientific source ?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

alexsmith wrote: »

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

The expression of androgen receptors in human neck and limb muscles: effects of training and self-administration of androgenic-anabolic steroids

Histochemistry and cell biology, volume 113, number 1, 25-29

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8nlqw016glqwkbwd/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Maybe it's just people parroting each other but I do seem to see this
    juicing = traps stuff a lot.
    Whatever the case, he had ridic traps there alright.

• Advertisement

MrPain wrote: »
    The expression of androgen receptors in human neck and limb muscles: effects of training and self-administration of androgenic-anabolic steroids

Histochemistry and cell biology, volume 113, number 1, 25-29

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8nlqw016glqwkbwd/

:pac:
    So what the other fella said is kinda true. There are more receptors in your traps, nothing to say they'll grow from juicing and not training though. I still question that part.

they/them/theirs

So what the other fella said is kinda true. There are more receptors in your traps, nothing to say they'll grow from juicing and not training though. I still question that part.

No they will. Would you like some science?

No they will. Would you like some science?

Yes please.

they/them/theirs

Here you go

Plenty of studies out there on steroid use and lean body mass gain in sedentary individuals. I'm being responsible as they're very easily misinterpreted so I don't like posting links to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

I'm by no way saying Hardy didn't work out like the other guy implied but according to this study
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
    Those on 600mg of test-e for 10 weeks gained more weight not exercising than those exercising with the placebo.
    So yes juicing on its own does cause muscle gain, and one could deduct that due to he higher level of androgen receptors in the traps these would grow at a higher rate.

MrPain wrote: »
    I'm by no way saying Hardy didn't work out like the other guy implied but according to this study
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
    Those on 600mg of test-e for 10 weeks gained more weight not exercising than those exercising with the placebo.
    So yes juicing on its own does cause muscle gain, and one could deduct that due to he higher level of androgen receptors in the traps these would grow at a higher rate.
    That's the most famous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Meh, hardy's not very big really. Just part of the friday night shrug crew :)

Here you go

Plenty of studies out there on steroid use and lean body mass gain in sedentary individuals. I'm being responsible as they're very easily misinterpreted so I don't like posting links to them.

Fair enough. I did enjoy the science as well.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

You used to have to clean without the bar touching you so it was lifted 'clean' of the body. Don't know a thing about the continental clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk
    intarwebz wrote:
    a variant movement called the "Continental" (because it was practiced by Germans rather than the British) allowed the lifter to pull the barbell up to his belt, where it could rest. Then with several successive flips, the bar would be moved up the torso until it reached the position for the overhead jerk. The Continental gained a reputation as clumsy, slow, and nonathletic compared to the swift coordinated movement required to lift the bar "clean." Hence, the clean movement was adopted by the early weightlifting federations as the official movement.

Ze Germans are to blame for it! Fun movement though

• Advertisement

it is true,look at the science.mind you his deltoids/shoulders did not pop out as much as his traps,so he looks like a ****ing idiot.id hate to have that physique even if he has low body fat.

go to any decent gym and have a look at the guys with kind of rounded puffed up traps and delts...usually their the ones who dont know what pct is,have a wifebeater on and are doing bicep curls everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I for one am all for mutant traps.

big traps look good if you have big delts.otherwise youll look like gail platt going around.like a slanted house lol.

science rules all bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

The Muscle Maximizer was made for those who are dedicated to build muscle, so it is not ideal for weekend warriors or men who exercise half-heartedly. If you are dead serious about learning how to get ripped muscles that demands respect and makes you stand out from the crowd, SMM is certainly right for you.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just because

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

JJayoo wrote: »

Just because

Blatantly On.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Boardsdeals were selling balance bands, now taken down,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056472842

good outcome
    Hello,

Firstly thanks to everyone who's taken the time to post into this thread; as always we appreciate feedback on all of our deals. We've been reviewing the Ionic Balance Band deal and way in which we promoted it on the site, and we realise that our promotion of this deal did not meet the high standard that we expect of ourselves.

We should have made it clear that the healing properties/ health benefits being claimed were not independently verified by Boards.ie and were being claimed by the company behind Ionic Balance Bands. We should have stated that these health benefits are contested, as is the case with many alternative therapies. We should have made it clearer that it was up to the purchaser to decide for themselves as to whether they would benefit from wearing an Ionic Balance Band.

To remedy the situation we are taking the following action:

- Removing the deal from the site, as the copy in it's current form is not something which we can stand over
    - Contacting each person who bought the deal explaining the situation relating to the health benefits, and stating that we have not substantiated any of the healing properties mentioned
    - Offering a full refund to anyone who purchased the deal

Thanks again for the feedback and input; we know it makes BoardsDeals a better site.
    Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Tom Hardy Diet Tips
    Although Tom Hardy did not reveal the complete details of his diet regimen, it is quite obvious how serious he is when it comes to his diet. In a television show, he joked about how he eats anything he wants and leaves his physique down to his workouts with his personal trainer. However, most of his diet is actually made of rice, chicken, and lots of protein shape. He is currently bulking up for Warrior so he could be eating plenty of lean protein to boost the effects of the Tom Hardy workout. He also works out like crazy so he can indulge in ice cream, pizza, and other treats from time to time.

Did not reveal the mammoth amounts of Vitamin S he mixed in with all the pizza and ice cream

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement