Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Anyone that lifts a reasonable amount can look like that-In those scenes he looks like he has his traps flexed, hes got his head stuck out and his back haunched like hes carrying a bag of coal.
    I seen similar comments to these before I watched the film so kept an eye out for it and in the non fight scenes the traps arent particularly obvious, that why I think hes just flexing and probably gave them a pump beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone that lifts a reasonable amount can look like that-In those scenes he looks like he has his traps flexed, hes got his head stuck out and his back haunched like hes carrying a bag of coal.
    I seen similar comments to these before I watched the film so kept an eye out for it and in the non fight scenes the traps arent particularly obvious, that why I think hes just flexing and probably gave them a pump beforehand
    This.

People don't get that its a movie. What you see on screen adn what you see in realife aren't the same.
    Hardy just finished but filing the lastest Batman, he's playing Bane. Some random photos were leasked from set adn some people comment on how he doesn't look at big (for Bane). But this are just phots taken at a distance. The Hardy that ends up on screen will be a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

It's a great movie. Hardy doesnt look as big or as ripped off screen though, as Mellor suggested. Both lead actors do look in great shape though. An interesting comment in this interview is where Edgerton mentions their training involved "eat lots of food and lift lots of weight". Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Hardy's got hanging shoulders al la arnie, people wit them tend to hav bigger traps than the norm they also make traps look bigger, iam living proof ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Cool presentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

ab-enhancer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

As Tom Hardy's been mentioned, I love this clip...

I f***in love a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I went shopping today and went into a few sports shops, I wanted to get runners that I didn't have gel or any soft bit in the heal went into one shop and one one of the people there showed me puma bodytrain and that was after I mentioned something about squats, if I were to try squat in those I'd be on my ass! Walked out of there pretty quick.

I also got a grid foam roller today my back was kinda sore/tight from carrying lots of bags and I used it about half an hour ago, I love it! My back feels so much better it's great. Although it was a bit awkward to use since the cat was trying to stick her head in the hole. (also got a 20% discount on it too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sports shops arent sports shops.
    They are fashion shops that sell popular jerseys, popular footwear and popular casual wear.

If you want anything specific, there's not much point going in to them.

Sports shops arent sports shops.
    They are fashion shops that sell popular jerseys, popular footwear and popular casual wear.

If you want anything specific, there's not much point going in to them.

Yeah but where I am I don't seem to have much of an option (there's f-all decent shops here) I thought I'd look in and see if they had anything, had an excuse to leave all prepared. The shop where I got the foam roller seems to be pretty good, lots of things you wouldn't find it the other (bigger) shop that are useful are than just looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

What shop did you get the grid foam roller in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

It was in carlow so probably useless to you. I was just in the place looking for something else when I spotted a normal foam roller and took a chance and asked did he have a grid one. The reason I was in the other shops was to try shop around and see prices(that and other things)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I think Physiosupplies have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dead Ed wrote: »

On their site they say it is not meant for swings etc in gymnastics, most "fitness" ring sellers say this too. I think I read the forces on rings can be up to 5G on some gymnastic moves, and the rings are rated to 1000lb each, so a 200lb man doing 5G is like 1000lb or 500lb on each ring.

The bigger problem is probably the fatigue cycling effect of high reps. If you kip you can manage more reps and the rings are being subjected to force/no force over and over. If you want to break a bit of plastic or metal coathanger the easy way is to gently bend it back and forward over and over, with minimal effort you will eventually break it, the plastic can slowly heat up and get far weaker.

I think most home users have nothing to worry about, and that rouge company might have a load of new sales of their metal ones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Say how about this?

Like every ****ing single gymnastics class in the whole wide frickin world, you have mats beneath the place where you have people doing complex, elevated movements. The gymnastics club around the corner from me have a crash mat under the rings for every single movement, even the most basic ones.

Honestly some of the crap you see in Crossfit really annoys me. I'm not a health and safety freak but the first module of any coaching course you go on is on how to keep your athletes safe from harm.

So now Elite Rings will take a sales hit because some ****wit doesn't know how to properly design a facility, and is using €40 plastic rings.

Morons.

rubadub wrote: »
    On their site they say it is not meant for swings etc in gymnastics, most "fitness" ring sellers say this too. I think I read the forces on rings can be up to 5G on some gymnastic moves, and the rings are rated to 1000lb each, so a 200lb man doing 5G is like 1000lb or 500lb on each ring.

Yeah the swings etc were mentioned on the website, but he said the rings were ok for "muscleups", but I'd imagine he wouldn't sell as many elite rings if he said "no high rep crazy-ass plyometric kip-up things".

I was just reminded of..
    If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks,"

I wonder if Haas or someone else simulated the effect of thousands of these sharp impacts to see how suitable they were for a commercial facility where they'd see heavy usage or at least have some kind of service life beyond which it'd be unsafe to use them. It shouldn't be too difficult to perform such a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Hold on a godamn minute here. If I can't rep out kipping muscleups how else will I pretend I'm elite?*

*I'm only half joking, stupid strict muscleups :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Used a TRX for the 1st time today, i was shaking like a leaf and the straps left a red mark on my arm:mad:. I will conquer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i have invented a new deadlift programme... do f*ck all for about 3-4 months, pull a 10kg PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Scrambled eggs & Franks Hot Sauce can be improved upon by adding avocado.
    Nom Nom Nom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Scrambled eggs & Franks Hot Sauce can be improved upon by adding avocado.
    Nom Nom Nom!

Are you seriously drunk and eating that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

one thing i've been meaning to ask about crossfit... haven't they essentially just taken circuit training and called it a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Parsley wrote: »
    one thing i've been meaning to ask about crossfit... haven't they essentially just taken circuit training and called it a sport?

yes and by making it competitive have sacrificed technique. it's a poor mans circuit training ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Parsley wrote: »
    Wellllllll....

Sort of.

What they've actually done is taken metabolic conditioning work, which is around since forever but first really documented in and around 40 years ago, and branded it. They've done a really good job, and a lot of people have discovered the barbell, the kettlebell and the pull up bar thanks to them. They've been a really significant player in the shift away from machine weights and treadmills, but they are so far gone now that I don't think they'll ever come back.

When you look at paradigm shifts like this in health and fitness there are cycles and swings happening all the time. There big ones like aerobics, machine weights and now barbells are back, and there are small ones in the middle like kettlebells, step aerobics, spinning and so on. They all fit into the continuum they just do so in a microcycle. Anyway Crossfit is on the extreme end of this particular one, and it was kind of cool when they were hardcore guys training out of garages and setting up rowers in their attics. I dug it back then it was what I was looking for.

Now though, it's big business and it's not just 10 hardcore guys setting up a "box" and swinging sledge hammers. Back then if you were Crossfitting chances are you were an athlete or someone with experience looking for something different. Now all populations are in from the neophytes to the just plain broken, and I don't think they do that right. You can't be hardcore with 100 people in the room.

So now you have a guy falling and breaking his face doing a muscle up because the rings broke. If I were assessing that situation as a peer coach, I would ask the following questions in this order: 1) was there appropriate measures in place in case of an equipment or technique failure? ie. was there a safety mat or a spotter/catcher? 2) was your equipment serviced and checked recently? When was your last inspection? 3) Was the trainee trained properly in the movement?

Now if you can answer all 3 with 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, then NOW it's an accident. If you can't answer yes to even one of those, then you as the coach are the problem. You can piss and moan about the equipment all you want but it's your equipment, you're responsible for it and if you bought stuff for €40 and didn't get a manufacturer's guarantee, didn't assess it and didn't have some sort of guarantee it wouldn't break, then you are at fault. I mean, who would have thunk that those translucent plastic rings were potentially weak?

Every time a crossfitter hurts himself it's the world that isn't hardcore enough. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Started reading Beyond Brawn, having seen it mentioned around a few times but most recently on Martin Berkham's blog.

I think I'm gonna not bother with the remaining 2/3 of it because the amount of times he's already lumped everything into either 'hard gainer' or 'easy gainer' is getting worrying.
    Open to differing opinions on it, though. Most of everything else in the book seems sensible so far though. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Getting ready for the big day

• Advertisement

'if the idea of falling out of a sled and getting trampled by reindeer is foreign to you, we don't want you in our ranks'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement