Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I had to google that there to get the Harry Potter reference, and yes you have.

Muggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I had to google that there to get the Harry Potter reference, and yes you have.

Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Mud Blood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

This is popcorn stuff for everyone but me, for whom it's really tedious. Move on people!

You think it's tedious for just you?
    Spose!

I actually don't care that much I've long since dispensed with the Internet and the bored people who troublemake on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

www.lifestylesports.com/index.html

I might have a look tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Wahooooooooo...2weeks off work :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Wahooooooooo...2weeks off work :D:D
    Boo urns, at least i got sent home early from work because of no running water to the building!

Molly wrote: »
    Boo urns, at least i got sent home early from work because of no running water to the building!

Be thankful for small mercys!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I started proper strength training today. Squat 50kg. I'm very impressed with myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I started proper strength training today. Squat 50kg. I'm very impressed with myself :P

1 RM? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

8 :)

good girl good to have you on the team

You might even start logging too!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Good stuff!

Squats and deads are fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

it's amazing people will still upload the videos they make where they **** up really badly. i think it's great from an outsider point of view, to really know what goes on in some crossfit gyms.

not sure what I make of women in the third trimester doing muscle ups other than being in awe of their physical strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Vibrams getting sued in the US

http://www.examiner.com/wellness-in-chicago/vibram-fivefingers-shoes-named-lawsuit
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/03/vibram-shoes-named-in-lawsuit-danger-of.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Was bound to happen eventually with so many converting to barefoot running after reading one article in a magazine and inevitably ending up injured....plus Vibrams tendency to stretch the truth a bit with their marketing

http://www.examiner.com/wellness-in-chicago/vibram-fivefingers-shoes-named-lawsuit
    http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/03/vibram-shoes-named-in-lawsuit-danger-of.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FcJKs+%28The+Science+of+Sport%29

Was bound to happen eventually with so many converting to barefoot running after reading one article in a magazine and inevitably ending up injured....plus Vibrams tendency to stretch the truth a bit with their marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Jarren wrote: »

Never seen so much kipping going on!! LOL

cc87 wrote: »

I'm not American, and I'm not a lawyer, but HOW THE F*CK ARE THEY BEING SUED FOR THIS?!

Like it explicitly says on their website that there's a transition period ffs.

THIS is the exact reason the fitness industry world wide is a f*cking joke - you can do all dangerous stuff you want and injure people only for it to be ok because that's what everyone does, but step outside the comfort zone and try to do something innovative and good, and some moron injures themselves as a result and suddenly you get your ass sued.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm not American, and I'm not a lawyer, but HOW THE F*CK ARE THEY BEING SUED FOR THIS?!

Like it explicitly says on their website that there's a transition period ffs.

THIS is the exact reason the fitness industry world wide is a f*cking joke - you can do all dangerous stuff you want and injure people only for it to be ok because that's what everyone does, but step outside the comfort zone and try to do something innovative and good, and some moron injures themselves as a result and suddenly you get your ass sued.

From what I understand its down to that they dont say that you have to change your running style when using then as a heel strike running action with them can lead to you damaging your heel.......all sounds silly to me but since vibrams is a big big company these days it would a fairly lucrative lawsuit so it would attract some good lawyers to it

Im not a lawyer but AFAIK, there is a lot more pressure on companies to cover all the bases when they are selling products and unless Vibrams did cover the above somewhere I would think the lawsuit has a good chance of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just because they're being sued doesn't mean they've done anything wrong. Someone has just decided to sue them. Still a pain in the arse for company to defend in terms of time/money and bad press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Is there anything to this whole barefoot running thing ?

MungBean wrote: »
    Is there anything to this whole barefoot running thing ?

Yes. Quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Hanley wrote: »
    Yes. Quite a bit.

You do it yourself ? I seen a TED talk with that Christopher McDougall who was talking about it I think in relation to tribe folk running so much. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about anyway. But I didnt realise it was an active movement as such.

MungBean wrote: »
    You do it yourself ? I seen a TED talk with that Christopher McDougall who was talking about it I think in relation to tribe folk running so much. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about anyway. But I didnt realise it was an active movement as such.

I don't do much distance running of any kind, but do have a pair of "barefoot" shoes which I try to wear when I can.

That McDougall talk is good, as is his book, Born To Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cc87 wrote: »
    From what I understand its down to that they dont say that you have to change your running style when using then as a heel strike running action with them can lead to you damaging your heel

From the article linked above;
    Vibram does state on their website (which is acknowledged in the lawsuit) that switching to the FiveFingers does take time, possibly over a year for some people. Their training plan for the FiveFingers is longer than 13 weeks. The first two weeks are wearing the shoes 1-2 hours per day (no running), and weeks 3-4 are running 10%-20% of your normal distance, no more than once every other day, in the FiveFingers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Mellor wrote: »

It really depends on what's in that training plan, if it tells them about changing the way you run then it's a stupid lawsuit if they don't well that's quite stupid of vibram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Was getting my lunch on Friday and some lad ran past me on Pearse Street with no shoes on. He had some sort of fancy shmancy running shoes, but was carrying them.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

But the training plan they have is about preparing and strengthening your foot and legs to run barefoot, not about your running style or gait.

While I do agree its a silly lawsuit, it is a legitimate argument.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement