Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cc87 wrote: »
    But the training plan they have is about preparing and strengthening your foot and legs to run barefoot, not about your running style or gait.

Barefoot runnign style is mentioned in a few plAces, in the "things to consider: and "Barefoot runninG sectioNs immediately before the schedule.
    With proper forefoot or midfoot strike form, running on hard surfaces can be comfortable and safe. In fact, some experts suggest that the best way to learn proper barefoot running form is to begin on a smooth, hard surface such as pavement.

Barefoot Technique: A good landing should feel gentle, relaxed, and compliant. Professor Dan Lieberman of Harvard University suggests trying these two phases to learn the recommended forefoot technique:

FiveFingers runners typically land on the ball of the foot towards the lateral side. It’s probably good to land with the foot nearly horizontal, so you don’t work your calves too much.

After the front of your foot lands, let the heel down gradually, bringing the foot and lower leg to a gentle landing. (It’s like when you land from a jump, flexing the hip, knee and ankle.) Again, the landing should feel soft, springy, and comfortable.

The proper barefoot form video
    With proper Barefoot form the force curve has a smooth line indicating a natural transfer of energy to and from the body. You will notice unlike in the heel striking video above, the impact transient force is nonexistent when the runner utilizes a proper barefoot running form.
    (they have an embedded video that show the runnign technique here).

A gradual transition is critical to avoid overuse injuries. If running is your primary form of exercise, gradually increase the proportion of forefoot or mid-foot striking by about 10% per week over the course of several months as you reduce running in your old style

In the FAQ;
    More minimal sneakers tend to continue enabling a heel-strike running form, whereas running in Vibram FiveFingers means learning to run on the forefoot.

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Mellor wrote: »
    Barefoot runnign style is mentioned in a few palces, in the "things to consider: and "Barefoot runnign sectinos immediately before the schedule.

Fair enough, I didnt read through every part of it.

I wonder if this lawsuit got any inspiration from the fact that reebok paid out a $25 million settlement recently over false advertisement claims for their shoes with the roundy soles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Comments are hilarious.. Chaos and Pain V Glenn Pendlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone here ever experience a suppressed appetite after lifting heavy?

I had force down my shake and now have no motivation to eat 2 hours after workout. I train fasted so should be hungry.

QQ for anyone with HRM experience.
    How accurate is the max HR reading.

I hit 199 max last week during 4 mins of KB snatches, HR was a bit high all week due to being sick. Still looks a bit high to me as i felt like I'd ahve a decent bit more in me.

Any decent HRmax test I can do in the gym.
    Besides jogging for 15mins and sprinting flat out for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Exercise-Induced Sexual Arousal in Women, didn't read all of it but I can't really argue with it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2978974/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.elverys.ie/categories/Home-Gym-Equipment/0000000171

Promotion Code: ELVCV4610PERCENT - 10% OFF Group Schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

posted a few days ago in bargain alerts
    Gra246 wrote: »
    Some clearance items in Roscrea.
    Kettlebells (6.5kg) were E29, now E7.
    17kg dumbell sets were E40ish, now E9.50.
    Kelly Holmes weighted gymball, was E20, now E5.

These might be just in that local tesco, but might be worth checking your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Any recommendations on a gym bag? Looking preferably for one with a large main compartment that has a divider in it for easier sorting and organising. Kind of hard to find one with a dividing main compartment that isn't from the United States. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

rubadub wrote: »
    posted a few days ago in bargain alerts

These might be just in that local tesco, but might be worth checking your own.

Had a look in the local Tesco just now and nothing there. Might try a bigger one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Really interesting article on the anti-catabolic and anabolic effects of fish oil, taken at 4g/day (1.86g EPA and 1.5g DHA).

http://sportsnutritioninsider.insidefitnessmag.com/3976/fish-oil-for-muscle-growth

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the mTOR/p70S6K signalling pathways?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Just to pick up on the Vibrams point - I see Sketchers have paid out $50m in compensation in relation to their 'Toning shoes' i.e. the shape ups etc.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mickeymeece/2012/05/16/skechers-to-pay-45-million-to-settle-advertising-charges/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When doing barbell rows or deadlifts is it better to use a straight bar or can you do them with an easy curl bar? Is there any disadvantage to using the easy bar?

When doing barbell rows or deadlifts is it better to use a straight bar or can you do them with an easy curl bar? Is there any disadvantage to using the easy bar?

Honestly I have no idea, but I've hurt my wrist and I'm getting very aware of what makes it worse so I think that if your wrist wasn't straight over time it might do something.

But as I said I've no idea, I've just noticed some hand positions make my wrist worse but it could be my crap wrist.*

*I should never arm wrestle a guy bigger than me, but I did win:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tomorrow I start training in the morning before work, pray for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Orla K wrote: »
    Exercise-Induced Sexual Arousal in Women, didn't read all of it but I can't really argue with it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2978974/
    Honestly I have no idea, but I've hurt my wrist and I'm getting very aware of what makes it worse so I think that if your wrist wasn't straight over time it might do something.

But as I said I've no idea, I've just noticed some hand positions make my wrist worse but it could be my crap wrist.*

*I should never arm wrestle a guy bigger than me, but I did win:o

i could take a guess as to why your wrist is sore...........

GASMANN wrote: »
    i could take a guess as to why your wrist is sore...........

I feel like I'm being stalked:o and considering I need a new rabbit that's not it:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I feel like I'm being stalked:o and considering I need a new rabbit that's not it:(

tumblr_llm28nRTLe1qdd0py.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

the level of innuendo and flirting here even puts gymfreak and howtomake to shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

the level of innuendo and flirting here even puts gymfreak and howtomake to shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

article-2154501-1372363D000005DC-732_306x371.jpg

article-2154501-137235D2000005DC-829_306x371.jpg

The personal trainer who gained 72lbs, in a bid to empathise with his clients, has revealed how he and his wife were stunned by the emotional toll it took on their marriage.
    Drew Manning, 30, from Eagle Mountain, Utah, went from rippling muscles and a 34in waist to an obese 263lbs six moths ago, to better understand how it would feel to lose it.
    In an interview today with Good Morning America to show how quickly he had returned to his former glory, wife Lynn described how radically her husband's personality had changed with his body.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2154501/Wife-super-fit-trainer-gained-lost-72lbs-bid-empathise-clients-reveals-emotional-toll-radical-experiment.html#ixzz1wvBbzaUU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Awh.

Feeling left out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

gymfreak wrote: »
    Awh.

Feeling left out?

harsh, he's not even here to defend himself

I'll leave this here as some might enjoy it

Jarren wrote: »
    article-2154501-1372363D000005DC-732_306x371.jpg

In an interview today with Good Morning America to show how quickly he had returned to his former glory, wife Lynn described how radically her husband's personality had changed with his body.

I know it took a lot of work to put on that weight and then lose it again. So i'm not trying to take away from his achievement, or the hard work that he obviously put in.

But the bold line bothers me a little. These storys take a PR spin of their own and they suggest that its possible to get from FAT to FIT just like he did in the same time frame through hard work and dieting. Which is a bit misleading imo.

Sure he was a massive 263lbs, and looked similar to other 263lb guys. But physically he was different. Underneath he would of have significantly more muscle than every other 263lber. I'm not saying he kept everything. 6 months out of the gym is a long time. But with about 10k cals excess a week he wasn't going to be short of energy/protein. That fact made the journey make far easier by giving him a higher BMR, capacity for work etc. And obviously a much short route from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Mellor wrote: »
    I know it took a lot of work to put on that weight and then lose it again. So i'm not trying to take away from his achievement, or the hard work that he obviously put in.

But the bold line bothers me a little. These storys take a PR spin of their own and they suggest that its possible to get from FAT to FIT just like he did in the same time frame through hard work and dieting. Which is a bit misleading imo.

Sure he was a massive 263lbs, and looked similar to other 263lb guys. But physically he was different. Underneath he would of have significantly more muscle than every other 263lber. I'm not saying he kept everything. 6 months out of the gym is a long time. But with about 10k cals excess a week he wasn't going to be short of energy/protein. That fact made the journey make far easier by giving him a higher BMR, capacity for work etc. And obviously a much short route from A to B.

You see a lot of these kinds of "false" advertisings these days. False in that as mellor says above the ability to go from 260+ lbs to sub 200 lbs is far easier for a guy who has gone from lean to fat in a matter of months than it is for a 260+ fat guy who was 260+ for 10 or more years. It's an interesting experiment but that's all it is. The above guy just managed to market his experience far better than anyone else.

I see ON has jumped on the Crossfit bandwagon in US. Not surprising since BSN is sponsering the games and Glanbia owns them both

I was walking pass Crossfit on Sir John Rogerson Quay today. Had a quick peak in and it looked interesting. Everyone I saw there did have a very athletic physique

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

EAS is sponsoring Annie T, the reigning girls champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Anyone know where I could get food containers / lunchboxes online or in Dublin CC? Preferably somewhere that's not insanely expensive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement