Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Paudee wrote: »
    The worst is when he 'likes' his own posts so it comes up in your newsfeed three times.

I haven't even been in the place yet and I'm already sick of the colour-scheme.

I'm so bombarded with updates my mam range me earlier and asked if I'd any news and all I could think of was "Hanley's mats arrived".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    I haven't even been in the place yet and I'm already sick of the colour-scheme.

I'm so bombarded with updates my mam range me earlier and asked if I'd any news and all I could think of was "Hanley's mats arrived".

It's working so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hanley wrote: »
    Wait, do I get to smash **** up or not?

Yes.

I've got a question about wide grip pullups. I'm wondering how far you should hang down before pulling yourself back up.

Is the best execution of these from a dead hang to the top and back to a dead hang (this being 1 rep) or is stopping before a dead hang advisable?

I have impinged shoulders due to previously poor training and I find pulling myself up from the dead hang impossible (literally). I've been trying negatives but they only seem to be helping with the rest of the pullup instead of the lowest part.

This is a suitably off topic post.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I've got a question about wide grip pullups. I'm wondering how far you should hang down before pulling yourself back up.

Is the best execution of these from a dead hang to the top and back to a dead hang (this being 1 rep) or is stopping before a dead hang advisable?

I have impinged shoulders due to previously poor training and I find pulling myself up from the dead hang impossible (literally). I've been trying negatives but they only seem to be helping with the rest of the pullup instead of the lowest part.

This is a suitably off topic post.

If you've shoulder issues, stop doing wide grip pull ups. They add nothing and take everything (...hello batman-esque quote)

• Advertisement

If you've shoulder issues, stop doing wide grip pull ups. They add nothing and take everything (...hello batman-esque quote)

Cool. What can I do instead?

Recently I stopped doing a 4 or 5 day split of weights and focused on more aerobic exercise mixed with bodyweight circuits (squats, press ups, pullups, burpees, sprawls etc and plyometrics. I feel much better now than I did a month ago but I don't know another (solo) way to work my back without weights.

Cool. What can I do instead?

Recently I stopped doing a 4 or 5 day split of weights and focused on more aerobic exercise mixed with bodyweight circuits (squats, press ups, pullups, burpees, sprawls etc and plyometrics. I feel much better now than I did a month ago but I don't know another (solo) way to work my back without weights.

-Normal grip pull ups (just outside shoulder width)
    -chins
    -inverted row w/bar, broom handle between chairs or rings if you've access

-Normal grip pull ups (just outside shoulder width)
    -chins
    -inverted row w/bar, broom handle between chairs or rings if you've access

Completely forgot about those :P

Ah right, I thought you meant don't do pullups full stop.

I'll keep the grip width tighter and see how I go.

Completely forgot about those :P

Ah right, I thought you meant don't do pullups full stop.

I'll keep the grip width tighter and see how I go.

If you're having trouble with pull ups anyway, chins are probably gonna be a bit easier too.

Worth doing some scap pull ups and other scap exercises to make sure you can keep your shoulders pinned down too (seems mostly like that injuries occur as a result of your shoulders shrugging into your ears and arms rotating forward)

• Advertisement

If you're having trouble with pull ups anyway, chins are probably gonna be a bit easier too.

Worth doing some scap pull ups and other scap exercises to make sure you can keep your shoulders pinned down too (seems mostly like that injuries occur as a result of your shoulders shrugging into your ears and arms rotating forward)

Yeah chins are a hell of a lot easier for me than pull ups.

I use a resistance band for pullups if I want to get higher numbers (10 or 12) as I'm currently limited to 4 or 5 at a time before failure.

I googled scap pull ups and they make a lot of sense to me, as that's the part that's hard if I dead hang, I'd say I'm hanging too low.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Hey hey hey

Hanley stop giving pull up advice :P

If you want get your shoulder stronger you could also try semi planche or pike pushups.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

When you say add nothing do you mean they give the same results as normal pull-ups? I've always thought wide grips hit the lats harder?

JoeyDoh wrote: »
    When you say add nothing do you mean they give the same results as normal pull-ups? I've always thought wide grips hit the lats harder?

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Never realised how much internal shoulder rotation occurs during wide grip pull ups until i dislocated my shoulder. Not good for shoulder health in my opinion (n=1).

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Never realised how much internal shoulder rotation occurs during wide grip pull ups until i dislocated my shoulder. Not good for shoulder health in my opinion (n=1).

bump that up to n=2 mate!!!

And if you do somehow manage to generate a decent amount of external rotation with wide grip, it's VERY torquey on the wrist.

Okay so best way of doing pullups is to avoid flaring of the elbows as much as possible keep your elbows close to your sides. I read in a gymnastics book the best time to do wide grip is on the rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

hmmm I always attempt pull ups and lately have widened the grip to make it tougher, i dislocated my right shoulder many times, are you guys saying I could be doing damage or what? its my fave exercise :/

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Okay so we shouldn't be doing pull ups? We should be using the lat pull machine instead?

NOOOOOO. Pullups ftw!

• Advertisement

Rossin wrote: »
    hmmm I always attempt pull ups and lately have widened the grip to make it tougher, i dislocated my right shoulder many times, are you guys saying I could be doing damage or what? its my fave exercise :/

Anterior dislocation, wide grip will repeatably put the joint into INternal rotation, which isnt good for a previously dislocated shoulder , just narrow the grip a little as recommended by Hanley.
    Michael 09 wrote: »
    Okay so we shouldn't be doing pull ups? We should be using the lat pull machine instead?

Hell no, just narrow the grip slightly!

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Anterior dislocation, wide grip will repeatably put the joint into external rotation, which isnt good for a previously dislocated shoulder , just narrow the grip a little as recommended by Hanley.

Hell no, just narrow the grip slightly!

+1 to both (cos I know you really meant internal rotation above!!)

+1 to both (cos I know you really meant internal rotation above!!)

Touche! Time for the edit function!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

If you're watching shot put
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17641594
    Shot put performance linked to 1RM squat and incline bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can anyone remember the name of those mini foam roller like equipment?

They are about 6-8 inches long and look like a giant version of the things thread comes on. They're used for rolling calves and arch of feet IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ferike1 wrote: »

Expensive, though there is a starter kit on amazon which is cheaper.

i-W6m46ff-X3.jpg

• Advertisement

The woman who is doing kips at 30 secs is mental and her baby should be taken from her!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement