Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hmmmm not sure I agree with you there.

Don't see a problem with pregnant women working out. She's obviously didn't just start when she got pregnant.

But yes. Some people are insane :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

There is working out and then there is having common sense!

I am not a pregnant woman but even I could see doing kipping pullups isn't the best idea with a baby...

ferike1 wrote: »
    There is working out and then there is having common sense!

I am not a pregnant woman but even I could see doing kipping pullups isn't the best idea with a baby...

Come back to me when you are a pregnant woman. Then we can talk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

light exercise , stretching, yoga , pilates all good.

Kipping pullups , I've seen people doing those lose their grip and fall , definitely not the right thing for a pregnant woman to be doing :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

....I don't need to drive a dragster at 300+mph to tell you it's dangerous do I?

You should see some of the f*cking sh*t that these idiots are doing. Kipping pull ups which present a very real fall risk, burpees while heavily pregnant, overhead squats with their baby strapped to their chest. It's beyond dangerous and irresponsible.

There's nothing wrong with training while pregnant. There's a lot wrong with training stupidly while pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Fallacious Argument.

Are you implying that someone needs to be pregnant to see if doing certain exercises are dangerous for women with child. To be comment on danger to an unborn child you have to be or have been a pregnant woman?

I mean if we make a really rather small extension on that, every doctor and nurse working in maternity hospitals, not to mention all gynecologists or even GP's for that matter, would all not only have to be female, but be either pregnant or a mother?

Patient: "Doctor, should I be doing kipping pullups or are they dangerous for my baby?"
    Male Doctor: "Hell if I know, I'm not capable of becoming pregnant. $60 please."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

That clapping part at the start reminds me of some sort of cult ritual!

Watching these videos really highlights that not everyone is a Rich Froning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

is your one doing the horrible deadlift pregnant?

That deadlift just makes my spine shudder. Its nearly as bad as "ONE NINETY!!" guy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with training while pregnant. There's a lot wrong with training stupidly while pregnant EVER.

FYP.

I whole heartedly agree though, stupidity just gets more stupid when a woman is pregnant.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seriously?
    Certain moves are clearly dangerous when pregnant. Kipping, snatches, burpees etc. It's insane to this they are a good idea. I've no idea why you think a pregnant women would know better than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Going to do squats with the smith machine tomorrow having practiced with a bar for a bit and a medicine ball,am I right in thinking I should go down as far as possible?I often see lads only doing half squats,is that because the weight is too heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

There's a lot wrong with training while pregnant. You're making a person, stop being so selfish and worrying about your f'ing Fran time and let your body do the most stressful thing it will ever do without adding weight and doing it for time.

Women who have their babies and haven't gained plenty of bodyfat at the same time should be forced to sign some kind of register.

Going to do squats with the smith machine tomorrow having practiced with a bar for a bit and a medicine ball,am I right in thinking I should go down as far as possible?I often see lads only doing half squats,is that because the weight is too heavy?

Don't squat with a smith machine.

Do you have squat rack available.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

kevpants wrote: »

Women who have their babies and haven't gained plenty of bodyfat at the same time should be forced to sign some kind of register.

I know you probably mean well, but that turns out a pretty ****ty statement to make.

I know a few women who didn't do anything particularly stressful or limit anything and didn't put on a lot of body fat. Some women just don't pile on fat during pregnancy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

no unfortunately only a smith machine,whats wrong with a smith machine?

no unfortunately only a smith machine,whats wrong with a smith machine?

Limits range of motion and doesn't force you to stabilise the weight

Limits range of motion and doesn't force you to stabilise the weight

ah I see,am I right in saying though you should try and go down as far as you can though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

If there's no squatting rack available what would you suggest?
    I'm getting really frustrated at not being able to do a simple exercise, and I only have one choice of gym.

Orla K wrote: »

If there's no squatting rack available what would you suggest?
    I'm getting really frustrated at not being able to do a simple exercise, and I only have one choice of gym.

Goblet squats, power clean and front squats, DB squats off the top of my head.

I wouldn't join a gym without a rack in the first place, unfortunately this isn't an option for you.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I know you probably mean well, but that turns out a pretty ****ty statement to make.

I know a few women who didn't do anything particularly stressful or limit anything and didn't put on a lot of body fat. Some women just don't pile on fat during pregnancy.

Bollox!

They dieted. I know a few of those miraculous women too.

Never underestimate the evasiveness of a woman who desperately wants to be a yummy mummy but doesn't want anyone to know they're trying,

• Advertisement

Woah woah woah.

I was feckin joking!

Yes I agree what that woman was doing is insane. I was just making a statement that women don't have to completely stop exercising while pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

The RDA for men is 2500 and women 2000. A body Fat (not weight loss) loss diet for me is 1400 - ask my trainer and nutritionist. Perfectly capable of doing cardio training on that amount - but if I weight train I have to eat 1800 (an additional 400 cals) a day - that must be a mix of cals sourced from protein, carbs and fat (which all give you cals) Ive done my homework

my very smug fb friend, tell me some of that is incorrect please :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Rossin wrote: »
    my very smug fb friend, tell me some of that is incorrect please :)

Guy or girl? And what's their bodyweight?

...about to train but beIng a prick is my speciality and im feeling mischievous :D

girl, ill find out, have a look back after training :D

sorry i asked

it's nothing to do with weight, it's to do with body composition I.e. decrease body fat, increase muscle mass - I'm happy with my weight but want to change my composition. In the end my weight will probably increase but I don't mind so long as its only muscle.

im in ove rmy head, grrrrr she's so annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

d'Oracle wrote: »

Bollox!

Never underestimate the evasiveness of a woman who desperately wants to be a yummy mummy but doesn't want anyone to know they're trying,

I have to disagree there, my wife has had two kids and didn't put on much fat either time. She ate plenty, same portion sizes as me, chocolate, take away at the weekend. She definitely wasn't dieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Bollox!

I have to say my friend actually lost weight in the early months, she had weight to lose, she was being checked to make sure everything was fine, it just happens sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

sorry i asked

im in ove rmy head, grrrrr she's so annoying!

Truth can be annoying sometimes :p

ha, sure don't i know it. Constant stream of gym updates, pictures of her dinners, crappy run times, please tell me you guys aren't this bad

• Advertisement

ha, sure don't i know it. Constant stream of gym updates, pictures of her dinners, crappy run times, please tell me you guys aren't this bad

Hanley is. Constant pics of his blackboard in Revfit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement