Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hanley is. Constant pics of his blackboard in Revfit

Hey f*ck you internet person! :D

...I actually don't post many pics of the blackboard. It's mostly of random things, and water bottles. Loads of water bottles.

(you have to admit, the blackboard is cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Someone help with this. I'm having a debate about deadlifting /pullups on another site. A guy can do 4 pull ups and DLs 20kg. I make the pt anyone with 4 pullups could DL much much higher and am told by the local know it all that there is no correlation between no of pull ups and DLs, "its utter tripe". Who is right/wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Most thirteen year old girls could deadlift 20kg..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Someone help with this. I'm having a debate about deadlifting /pullups on another site. A guy can do 4 pull ups and DLs 20kg. I make the pt anyone with 4 pullups could DL much much higher and am told by the local know it all that there is no correlation between no of pull ups and DLs, "its utter tripe". Who is right/wrong?

Hmmm I'm not sure. I can do 1 pull up, 2 at most but I can DL a lot more than 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you can carry your weight on one leg, which we do everyday, barring mobility/injury issues, any adult could deadlift more than 20kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Someone at 50kg could be well able for a lot of pull ups but struggle with any meaningful dl's

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd have to see his actual comments, is he just arguing over semantics, i.e. you used the word "could DL", I wonder if he would agree it you had used "should be able to DL". "Could" is seen by some as a 100% definite, absolutely no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I'm pretty sure most 10 year olds could pick an olympic bar up off the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

rubadub wrote: »
    I'd have to see his actual comments, is he just arguing over semantics, i.e. you used the word "could DL", I wonder if he would agree it you had used "should be able to DL". "Could" is seen by some as a 100% definite, absolutely no exceptions.

Sorry should have been more specific. Its wrt to a gym newbie just starting out who is able to do 4pullups and 20 kg DL. My point is that anyone able to do 4 pull ups is away ahead of the curve strengthwise based on my own experience of taking months to do 1 pullup and should be doing much much higher DL. He says "any correlation between pull ups and DL is utter tripe".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Sorry should have been more specific. Its wrt to a gym newbie just starting out who is able to do 4pullups and 20 kg DL. My point is that anyone able to do 4 pull ups is away ahead of the curve strengthwise based on my own experience of taking months to do 1 pullup and should be doing much much higher DL. He says "any correlation between pull ups and DL is utter tripe".

My guess would be his 4 pullups are only half reps at best and no where near what a proper pullup would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Well the only practical example I can think of is my case. I didn't deadlift for a good year but in that time did millions of pullups. My deadlift max didn't go down and has increased very quickly since starting again.

There's no specific correlation, but there is not one single biped in the world who could do 4 pull ups and not lift 20kg off the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hanley wrote: »
    single biped in the world who could do 4 pull ups and not lift 20kg off the floor.
    This is why I wanted to see his exact wording of this discussion, as I said "could DL" could be taken to mean a 100% certainty for every human on the planet, then the pedantic lad will bring up disabled people. It could be a simple misunderstanding of what is being said, similar to that old thread dragged up today about diet & exercise.
    I'm pretty sure most 10 year olds could pick an olympic bar up off the floor!
    aha, I reckon the lad is simply not counting the 20kg bar weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

kevpants wrote: »
    Bollox!

They dieted. I know a few of those miraculous women too.

Never underestimate the evasiveness of a woman who desperately wants to be a yummy mummy but doesn't want anyone to know they're trying,

Well my sister didn't, twice.
    And she would probably kick you in the balls for suggesting she wants to be a yummy mummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Well my sister didn't, twice.
    And she would probably kick you in the balls for suggesting she wants to be a yummy mummy.

pics or GTFO!

*oh come on everyone was thinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

pics or GTFO!

*oh come on everyone was thinking it

erm.......

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying my sister is a yummy mummy, just saying that she would kick the little Kevpants in Kevpants pants if he were to suggest she had to try to be one.

ferike1 wrote: »

Is the standard down a bit this year? Fantastic nick and all, but not as good as some who've won or entered!?

Is the standard down a bit this year? Fantastic nick and all, but not as good as some who've won or entered!?

This is the guy who won last year. I think he was the best winner so far.

NcAn2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

He is a beautiful specimen of a man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

He is a beautiful specimen of a man.

I'd nearly get up on him myself.

Agree with Hanley, I'm not overly impressed to be honest? Mick was in much better condition IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Paudee wrote: »
    I'd nearly get up on him myself.

You'd get up on a rocking chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

ItsAllAboutTheAbs.

ItsAllAboutTheAbs.

I think his abs are possibly his worst feature though? They're either an odd shape, it's a bad pose or he needs to cut a bit more.

Did I see he's an army guy? That would explain a lot.

Did I see he's an army guy? That would explain a lot.

As to why he is in good shape?

As to why he is in good shape?

As to why there'd be an enormous amount of goodwill egging him on to victory.

Ahhhh, makes sense. Here if I enter and make it to the final next year can I count on the goodwill of these forums to vote for me? You could also get all your gym members to vote for me too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Magic jeans. How he gets jeans to fit I don't know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement