Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

JJayoo wrote: »
    So you would advise avoiding ATG squatting? Think I'm yet to see someone squat atg without their lower back rounding.

You're looking at the wrong people so.

And "ass to grass" squatting is something weak people latch onto as an excuse as to why their squat is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Perhaps we are talking about different things. I'm talking about the way your ass tucks in towards your heels at the very bottom of the squat

When you squat you stop at parallel and your ass does not tuck under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Perhaps we are talking about different things. I'm talking about the way your ass tucks in towards your heels at the very bottom of the squat

I think you, as in you singular, are talking about two different things.
    Mendes tucks a little in that one. Clarence and Chekarov don't round their backs at all there.

I think you are confusing lumbar flexion with hitting full hip, knee and ankle flexion. Or rather mistaking them for the same thing.

Think your might be right Oracle. Seems I'm talking about butt winking

The above video is a pretty mild example but shes pretty so :pac:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/is-your-squat-too-low-needs-pics/

"What exactly is the “tuck under?” While squatting, the coccyx and pelvis are pulled under the body when the lifter reaches a lower depth, thus the tuck under. It may happen at different points for different lifters, but the result is the same. The load on the lumbar spine is magnified and, under a substantial load, could result in disc herniations or worse. During a squat of 0.8–1.6 times body weight, the compressive forces on the lumbar spine are as great as ten times body weight (Cappozzo, et al). Imagine the compressive loads as lifters get up to double and triple body weight. Then add instability at the lumbar spine by pulling the coccyx under the body and adding a curve to the lumbar spine. The result is astronomical. For most general lifters, depth of the squat can be adjusted and worked to lower points over time"

Two of those videos show rock bottom squats with a straight back.

The Mendes vid has a small tuck.
    When you squat you stop at parallel and your ass does not tuck under.

That's funny. I actually know how I squat, and my bar and foot position is totally different to the vids you posted, so incomparable anyway. And they were actually below parallel.

• Advertisement

Someone's very defensive this morning. I was not criticizing you in anyway ,I was asking a question. Maybe your not familiar with people asking questions. I explained in my previous message that I was mixed up between squatting with a rounded lower back and tucking/butt winking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

just had the most amazing porridge.
    I usually make mine with coconut milk and put in flax seed oils, sunflower seeds, coconut oil & a banana and some maple syrup.

Today I had no bananas so instead threw in a scoop of Banana cream whey and it was delish, It made it sweet enough that I didn't need the maple syrup.
    This will be the staple breakfast from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Zombienosh wrote: »
    just had the most amazing porridge.

I literally never thought I would ever hear or read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Anyone know some place that sell dress shirts that have an athletic cut or experience with a tailor/alterations place that isn't going to break the bank?
    I have a 16.5 neck but wear 30inch pants and this usually result in looking like a tent around the waist. Edit: in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

MrPain wrote: »
    Anyone know some place that sell dress shirts that have an athletic cut or experience with a tailor/alterations place that isn't going to break the bank?
    I have a 16.5 neck but wear 30inch pants and this usually result in looking like a tent around the waist. Edit: in dublin.

I've a 17 inch neck, and while my waist would be around the 35/36 mark, I have the same problem with shirts.

What do you think is breaking the bank?

I got 3 fully fitted TM Lewin shirts in House of Fraser Dundrum for €129.
    Great quality, excellent fit & don't hang off me like a moo moo

• Advertisement

Someone's very defensive this morning. I was not criticizing you in anyway ,I was asking a question. Maybe your not familiar with people asking questions. I explained in my previous message that I was mixed up between squatting with a rounded lower back and tucking/butt winking.

I didn't read the previous message. And I wasn't being defensive. Maybe you're being paranoid?

Maybe you're being paranoid?
    :rolleyes: Ya sure, I'm the paranoid one on boards lol

:rolleyes: Ya sure, I'm the paranoid one on boards lol

that's good - confronting it is the first step :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

I've a 17 inch neck, and while my waist would be around the 35/36 mark, I have the same problem with shirts.

What do you think is breaking the bank?

I got 3 fully fitted TM Lewin shirts in House of Fraser Dundrum for €129.
    Great quality, excellent fit & don't hang off me like a moo moo

That's pretty good. Anyone know anywhere that does something similar on the Northside or in town for a reasonable price? There are far too many tailors/suit shops in Dublin to be ringing around.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    That's pretty good. Anyone know anywhere that does something similar on the Northside or in town for a reasonable price? There are far too many tailors/suit shops in Dublin to be ringing around.

There's a TM Lewin on South Anne Street opposite Eddies too.

Zara do some pretty nice fitted shirts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

Hanley wrote: »
    There's a TM Lewin on South Anne Street opposite Eddies too.

Zara do some pretty nice fitted shirts too.

+1 for Zara, good quality too and last an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

So what do people think of the thumbless grip on the bench press? I used it tonight for the first time. Would never use it without a spotter but I found it quite good. It puts my shoulders in the correct position. I have a history of benching with my shoulders and triceps which I've had trouble moving away from. This seems to put my shoulders in the correct position and stop them from rolling forward...cos if they do roll forward you drop the bar lol.
    Anyways it seems to help me target chest. Interested to hear opinions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

colman1212 wrote: »
    So what do people think of the thumbless grip on the bench press? I used it tonight for the first time. Would never use it without a spotter but I found it quite good. It puts my shoulders in the correct position. I have a history of benching with my shoulders and triceps which I've had trouble moving away from. This seems to put my shoulders in the correct position and stop them from rolling forward...cos if they do roll forward you drop the bar lol.

Hell nahhhh

Ive seen too many bench press vids like this

colman1212 wrote: »

Just put your hand in the correct position on the bar instead (hint: it sits from webby part of yout thumb down towards the base of your palm, not straight across).

I'll try to take a pic tonight if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Has anyone got any decent shoulder warm ups, specifically for the squat?

I'm getting killed trying to get under the bar due to shoulder flexibility. I've been doing loads of dislocates (well, attempting, I cant get very good ROM using a stick atm, but bands work well) and chest stretches before I squat, but it's still very difficult to get under the bar and get set up. Should I just keep hacking away at the dislocates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Dathai wrote: »
    Has anyone got any decent shoulder warm ups, specifically for the squat?

I'm getting killed trying to get under the bar due to shoulder flexibility. I've been doing loads of dislocates (well, attempting, I cant get very good ROM using a stick atm, but bands work well) and chest stretches before I squat, but it's still very difficult to get under the bar and get set up. Should I just keep hacking away at the dislocates?

Ah c'mon... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056817175

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I did see that, Hanley. I do something similar, I use the green band as it is in the image, place my palms flat agains the bands with my elbow still in the sling, but I turn away to stretch my chest and shoulder. I figured the way you had shown was specifically targeted towards elbow tendinitis. I'll give it a go.

Dathai wrote: »
    I did see that, Hanley. I do something similar, I use the green band as it is in the image, place my palms flat agains the bands with my elbow still in the sling, but I turn away to stretch my chest and shoulder. I figured the way you had shown was specifically targeted towards elbow tendinitis. I'll give it a go.

Nah it's actually specifically for external rotation, a lack of which is causing my elbow trouble!!

It's my own twist on the mobilization you mentioned there. I like it, but its too easy to compensate by turning into the stretch and losing the tension. Teaming up the bands makes it super awesome.

Anyone know of decent shorts to squat in? surprisingly hard to find a good pair... major kudos if they look like rugby shorts too.

jugger0 wrote: »
    Anyone know of decent shorts to squat in? surprisingly hard to find a good pair... major kudos if they look like rugby shorts too.

Nike DriFit or UnderArmor are awesome (the loose fit type, obviously)

Rugby shorts suck for squatting.

Rugby shorts suck for squatting.

Ages ago i got a great pair of shorts, they look like rugby shorts but were flexible as fook, haven't been able to find them again tho.. rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

jugger0 wrote: »

Grey cotton baggy jogging pants from cedarwood state. Epic sports wear, only available from Penny's don't you know!

Cut them off at the knee. Perfecto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Apologies if this has been mentioned but I haven't been on the forum in a while and nothing obvious appeared under search.....but do any of you have any details on the gym in Limerick that will be re-opening in the location where JJB was originally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Mr. Rager wrote: »

WTF - black and navy combo?? Tut tut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement