Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

Hanley wrote: »
    Nike DriFit or UnderArmor are awesome (the loose fit type, obviously)

Rugby shorts suck for squatting.

the canterbury shorts with the elasticated crotch work grand
    http://www.canterburyofnz.com/rugby/rugby-shorts/advantage-short.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thud wrote: »

But they're soooooo short!

#PutTheMouseBackInTheHouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Dathai wrote: »
    Has anyone got any decent shoulder warm ups, specifically for the squat?

I'm getting killed trying to get under the bar due to shoulder flexibility. I've been doing loads of dislocates (well, attempting, I cant get very good ROM using a stick atm, but bands work well) and chest stretches before I squat, but it's still very difficult to get under the bar and get set up. Should I just keep hacking away at the dislocates?
    Me crapping on endlessly a million years ago about shoulder mobility and stability.

Some shoulder band work from years ago when I invented shoulder mobility work :)

More band work from the olden days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Cheers Will.

Just for reference sake, this is what I was on about in my previous post (in case anyone wants try it). I haven't done the second stretch after the first, so I'll give it a go and see if there's any improvement.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/shoulders-and-back-squat-rack-and-darth.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Fizman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned but I haven't been on the forum in a while and nothing obvious appeared under search.....but do any of you have any details on the gym in Limerick that will be re-opening in the location where JJB was originally?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056797161&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Thud wrote: »

These seem too good to be true, can you go ATG in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

But they're soooooo short!

#PutTheMouseBackInTheHouse

Spandex bro, never gym without them or else the boys will be all over the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

jugger0 wrote: »
    These seem too good to be true, can you go ATG in them?
    I don't squat ATG but do warmup bodyweight atg squats in them

This is incredible. Jamie Oliver rocketed to the top of "my favourite people" list after seeing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Nike DriFit or UnderArmor are awesome (the loose fit type, obviously)

Rugby shorts suck for squatting.

Briefs are the best to squat in......BOSS briefs :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

This is incredible. Jamie Oliver rocketed to the top of "my favourite people" list after seeing this.

That's all well and good but what does that really achieve?

Do you think that anyone is in Mc Donald's thinking...'This is the best food choice I could make at the moment.'

I mean I agree with everything he's saying....I know that you agree with everything he's saying....most of the people that watch TED videos agree with what he's saying...but did anything he said in that video alter what you are doing going forward with regards your diet? I know it won't change mine at all. I eat two major meals a day of lean protein and salad or vegetables and the rest of the day I am consuming fresh fruit. I don't actually drink much if any milk any more and don't consume any processed grain.

I am yet to meet a fat person who honestly doesn't know why they are fat. I've never met an unfit person who doesn't know why they are unfit.

I don't think Jamie Oliver changes peoples habits anymore than TMZ does.

Jamie is preaching to people who are already converts. I don't actually think his target audience is paying any attention at all.

I also don't think people for the most part are intentionally killing themselves and or their children. I think most people given unlimited resources would be quite happy to have a chef and nutritionist prepare all their meals. I think most people eat fast food out of budgetary necessity. I bought 2 aged certified organic grass reared steaks today and had them both tonight for dinner....that'll be $45 thank you very much...I do that because I have the resources to...$45 would buy me a lot of happy meals.

I agree 100% with you that it is a great message. I just don't think it is any different than someone standing up there ranting about people doing more exercise and I don't think that there's a single person listening to it that doesn't already know and understand what he's saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

He managed to shut hanley up for 21 minutes...thats an amazing achievement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He managed to shut hanley up for 21 minutes...thats an amazing achievement.

I seriously doubt that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that.

I was on social media about 12 minutes into the clip pimping it around.

I was on social media about 12 minutes into the clip pimping it around.

12 minutes....is that a PB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Just did the boards love matching there and here are my matches .... :/

Hanley
    g'em
    Khannie
    Sapsorrow
    Brianderunner
    the drifter
    Brian?
    EileenG
    menoscemo
    kennyb3
    Dolbert

Just did the boards love matching there and here are my matches .... :/

Hanley
    g'em
    Khannie
    Sapsorrow
    Brianderunner
    the drifter
    Brian?
    EileenG
    menoscemo
    kennyb3
    Dolbert

Is that the naughty or nice list?

...errrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I don't think I want to find out ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I only watched first 10-20 mins and found it mainly broscience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I only watched first 10-20 mins and found it mainly broscience.

To be honest, since they couldn't mention drugs most of that conference was hokum...his posing on the other hand was very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

crossfit chipper wod for time of -
    50 russian twists
    40 jumping lunges
    30 KB swings
    20 press ups
    10 lateral jump burpees

Saw this metcon on Transform's Youtube. Anyone suggest an alternative to KB swing as I don't own one.

what in the name of Allah is a jumping lunge...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Saw this metcon on Transform's Youtube. Anyone suggest an alternative to KB swing as I don't own one.
    Dumbbell swings, sack of potatoes, a fat toddler etc

It's a pretty easy motion to replicate.
    what in the name of Allah is a jumping lunge...

I think its lunge alternating left and right, as its for time, so ends up being a jump from one position to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

DL Saint wrote: »
    To be honest, since they couldn't mention drugs most of that conference was hokum...his posing on the other hand was very entertaining!

Just watched it, thought it was pretty interesting actually. What he said about getting bloods done is very important I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Not sure if anyone has ever seen this lad before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkEFxx2Bns

"Looking at this picture you may think that this man's arm is a genetic mutation or a deformity, but really this is Matthias Schlitte, professional arm wrestler.
    Schlitte has turned himself into a lopsided Popeye the sailor man by training only one side of his body for wrestling so that he can compete in lighter weight classes.His right forearm measures nearly 18" around!

Schlitte said that when he first got into the sport, he was 16. He went to a bar, and they were having an arm wrestling competition. At the time he only weighed about 65 kg, about 145 pounds. He competed in the competition where the weight limit was 90 kg. "At first, older and more experienced fighters smiled at me for being so light-weighted, but after winning the contest the opinions changed immediately," said Schlitte.

After gaining the recognition from Bill Frank, the vice-world-champion and coach of VfL Wolfsburg, he was invited to a practice and was quickly accepted onto the team. In 2004, shortly after being accepted by the team, he participated in his first professional event, the 17, and proceeded through the event with zero losses in the -70kg youth class, giving him his first championship.

Since then, he has competed in 23 tournaments, where he placed first in 12 of them. These first place triumphs included the international Over The Top competition and the Arm Wars "Iron Curtain" event. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF50Sunqfxc

it's a disorder. he didn't just work out one arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

http://chanarchive.org/content/37_fit/9887726/1320402852538.png

Currently making these. Used 60g of whey by mistake and using honey instead of Splenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Dathai wrote: »
    http://chanarchive.org/content/37_fit/9887726/1320402852538.png

Currently making these. Used 60g of whey by mistake and using honey instead of Splenda.

Pics when done please! They look tasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement