Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Just did the Kieth Webber Extreme Kettlebell work out. It's a good work out and would recommend it to those looking for a really tough kettle bell work out DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I got really excited in the gym today, the gym(the only one in the town) got rid of the smith machine and got something which looks like this, it doesn't have the attached seat, there's one that can be pulled out and it looks like it has a bit more depth to it, it's taking up a fair bit of space Powertec-Workbench-Power-Rack.jpg

I'm going to start to do proper squats, I'll probably hate them in a week.

Also there's a competion on the myprotein forum, transform challenge with prizes up for grabs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Orla K wrote: »
    I got really excited in the gym today, the gym(the only one in the town) got rid of the smith machine and got something which looks like this, it doesn't have the attached seat, there's one that can be pulled out and it looks like it has a bit more depth to it, it's taking up a fair bit of space Powertec-Workbench-Power-Rack.jpg

Also there's a competion on the myprotein forum, transform challenge with prizes up for grabs.

Sweet ass curl machine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Amen to that. I can't wait to get my bench in there, for some hard ass bicep curls and DB pressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

:(
    It's not in front of a mirror so I doubt there'll be many curlers but I've a feeling it will be moved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Orla K wrote: »

Jackpot. You'll hate squats for a little bit and then grow to love them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

"you gotta get the cake before you can put the icing on" - ha priceless!

Is your man in the blue t-shirt being serious or just messing with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm not sure if he is autistic or this is some youtube personality thing.

All i know is that he is the butt of jokes on bb.com and they had pics of him competing and well lets say you need more then just a dream tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

tmc86 wrote: »
    "you gotta get the cake before you can put the icing on" - ha priceless!

Is your man in the blue t-shirt being serious or just messing with him?

He's being serious, i think its cos jason runs his mouth a lot this guy wanted to put him in his place.
    I'm not sure if he is autistic or this is some youtube personality thing.

All i know is that he is the butt of jokes on bb.com and they had pics of him competing and well lets say you need more then just a dream tan.

Im not sure if hes for real either, could be a master troll or just autistic... yeah the competition was shocking alright, hes pretty strong he just has the bodyfat percentage of a twinkie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I feel sorry for him , this is not natural behaviour and don't need Dr Phil to tell me that.

Part of me thinks he is a bodybuilding character represent all the guys who are pro bber fanboys and follow the flex magazines info. In one of his videos he says his split and its a typical IFBB pro blast everything once a week which isn't great for natural.

His diet is oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, then its alternating every two hours between MRP shake and tuna, forzen veg and flaxseed oil. It reminds me of fish and rice cake guy but atleast he won a show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

That Jason dude reminds me of Step Brothers with his "hater reps" carry on

is that irish mag GYM any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yeah, I just picked it up today for the first time, it seems good.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Yeah, I just picked it up today for the first time, it seems good.

Read my piece, read my piece, read my piece.

Hanley wrote: »
    Read my piece, read my piece, read my piece.

Which ones that, in the lastest issue, 3? or 4?

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Which ones that, in the lastest issue, 3? or 4?

4. The one that just came out

Hanley wrote: »
    4. The one that just came out

Ah! i just picked up 3.

Is there a digital version of it online Hanley?

• Advertisement

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Is there a digital version of it online Hanley?

Not to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quick programming post,
    For the last 6 months last year, I was Madcow for my lifting, 2 sessions a week so 3 days in a "program week" takes me a week and a half. I'm only willing to give 2 days max to lifting as the rest is MMA training. I liked the progression structure of Madcow, but it ended up being too long between once a week exercises. ESP if I missed a session. As much as i like squatting every session, it was taking away from other lifts when frequency is a factor. I also didn't do as much metcon type things as I'd like.

So I'm doing up my own program to fix this. Basically two workouts a week, each has two main lifts followed by assistance lifts or condition block.

Workout A
    Warm up
    Scap push, scap rows, wall slides, dislocates, pull aparts, etc

Main lifts
    Bench press/Floor press (alternate)
    Pull ups/chin ups (alternate)

Assessory
    Incline press/ring Dips
    Barbell row/ring row

Workout B
    Warm up
    Kicks, raises, hydrants, mountain climbers
    wall slides, dislocates

Main lifts
    Squat/Deadlift (unsure how I'll rotate these yet)
    Barbell press/DB Press (alternate)

Assessory
    Split squats, or other unilateral work
    free slot

It might look confusing laid out here but it clear in my head.

For the main lifts, Sets/reps will depend on how I feel, but I'll prob do a couple weeks of 8 rep sets, then 5s, them triples. Say 3 weeks of each then 1RM week then repeat.

1 or 2 times a fortnight I'll skip assessory exercises for a 5-10 minute conditioning block.

What do ye do to improve grip? Are there any exercises in particular I should be doing?

My deadlift is currently at 150kg and Im finding my grip kind off uncurling as I'm lowering it which obviously makes it very difficult to add any significant reps.

There is actually a fatter bar in the gym, should I be using that rather than the standard bar?

What do ye do to improve grip? Are there any exercises in particular I should be doing?

My deadlift is currently at 150kg and Im finding my grip kind off uncurling as I'm lowering it which obviously makes it very difficult to add any significant reps.

Get a pair of straps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Jarren wrote: »
    I feel sorry for him , this is not natural behaviour and don't need Dr Phil to tell me that.

yeah I'm the same, he seems harmless. He's obviously happy doing what he's doing and he's quite a character!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Reverse curls , farmers walks, plate pinches! I would avoid using straps and strengthen your grip!

Get a pair of straps

Had considered them alright but I was kind of keen to try strengthen the grip before I use equip. Suppose nothing stopping me doing both!
    papu wrote: »
    Reverse curls , farmers walks, plate pinches! I would avoid using straps and strengthen your grip!

Thanks for those, will defo try them.

As a sidepoint should I aim to use the thicker bar more often if it is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Get a pair of straps

How are straps gonna improve grip strength?

A good way to improve your grip would be to do static holds, which is basically doing a deadlift and holding at lockout for a period of time or as long as you can before your grip fails.

You could also use switch grip for your heavy sets and then go back to using double over hand when your grip improves.

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »
    How are straps gonna improve grip strength?

A good way to improve your grip would be to do static holds, which is basically doing a deadlift and holding at lockout for a period of time or as long as you can before your grip fails.

You could also use switch grip for your heavy sets and then go back to using double over hand when your grip improves.

They won't but it will stop his deadlifts from stalling while he works on his grip strength

EDIT: I read his post on bus and missed the part asking about improving his grip. I just seeing the part of about the difficultly doing a deadlift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement