Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I would have said yellowish no?

ah here...lets not fall out over the colour of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

What do people have as a pre-workout meal when training in the morning?

I'm in the gym just after 6am but I'm finding I'm tanking during some workouts. It could be a quality of sleep issue but I'm worried my nutrition is a problem as I don't really have an appetite that early in the morning. Also I can feel wrecked for the rest of the day, especially if I take a pre workout.

Might the workouts that you tank in correlate with eating slightly lower amounts of carbs the day/evening before?
    I train in the morning and dont eat beforehand. Generally its not a problem apart from if my previous days carb intake was quite low. Another option is to have a glucose based drink on your way to the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hanley wrote: »
    Scooby dubious tbh. I drink 3L of milk a day, and 2+L of water and my piss is still almost green at times.
    I did say "average person", I would imagine your calorie intake is higher than average too, along with sweating more.

I took his question to mean "does the water in milk replace the water I usually drink".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I would have said yellowish no?

I wasn't Aware you were watching me piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I drink 3L of milk a day, and 2+L of water and my piss is still almost green at times.

Some say Hanley wears a white racing suit and appears on TopGear of a Sunday.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.shamrockgym.ie/

Any takers ? ^

I'm getting one anyway , only concern would be foam material on handles,my personal preference are rubberized handles .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Jarren wrote: »

Any takers ? ^

I'm getting one anyway , only concern would be foam material on handles,my personal preference are rubberized handles .

That's Mickk's product I believe, a poster here. Looks like a nice bit of kit to have at home.

Any takers ? ^

Got The Pig one for Xmas. Love it. Really solid. Take off the foam and use bare steel, or slide a bike tube/similar over for rubberized handles.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    That's Mickk's product I believe, a poster here. Looks like a nice bit of kit to have at home.

There's a long & interesting thread about it here, he was trying to get Tyson at first.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147592253&page=1

tyson.jpg

Great design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I only just bought a pull up bar. Raging. That one looks deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Might the workouts that you tank in correlate with eating slightly lower amounts of carbs the day/evening before?
    I train in the morning and dont eat beforehand. Generally its not a problem apart from if my previous days carb intake was quite low. Another option is to have a glucose based drink on your way to the gym

I'm going to keep my carbs up the day before and see if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

rubadub wrote: »
    There's a long & interesting thread about it here, he was trying to get Tyson at first.

Great design.

Unreal. That is such a legendary thread.

I bet Bill Cullen would shít a cartload of penny apples if he read that. Fair play man, hope it works out!

rubadub wrote: »

If that part about what he said to the Chinese girls is true...

p3c61.gif

Quick question, is there anywhere in Dublin city centre that sells calipers? Will be in there shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Any takers ? ^

I bought one about 18 months ago out of the warehouse. He swore me to secrecy. And he's a large gent to say the least. As well as a very personable chap.

It's very tidy and works as advertised.

Recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

here's a guy using it. seems sturdy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Random question, is overhand wide grip chin-up more or less acknowledged as the standard chin-up as opposed to underhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Quick question, is there anywhere in Dublin city centre that sells calipers? Will be in there shortly.

Not sure but you can get them on ebay for a couple of euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You might remember this story as it was reported in some media outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

TheBellJar wrote: »
    I found a funny:D

Are you sure you found a funny?
    I was waiting for someone to punch his lights out! Now that would have been funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

brownej wrote: »
    Are you sure you found a funny?
    I was waiting for someone to punch his lights out! Now that would have been funny.
    Alas, 'funny' is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey folks ...

Moving to Cork next month for work and looking to get my hands on a decent s&c coach to help me strength and mobility issues ... any real good recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hey folks ...

Moving to Cork next month for work and looking to get my hands on a decent s&c coach to help me strength and mobility issues ... any real good recommendations?

Ainle Ó Cairealláin up at the na piarsaigh gaa club.

You might have even come across him i UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just would like a price check on the potential purchase of 10mm titan belt and fat gripz from lifting-large.com. Products plus delivery is $150 (c. 110e) (delivery is 43$ alone). Could do without grips but they seem handy enough and want to justify shipping to myself.

Any suggestions on cheaper alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Sangre wrote: »
    Just would like a price check on the potential purchase of 10mm titan belt and fat gripz from lifting-large.com. Products plus delivery is $150 (c. 110e) (delivery is 43$ alone). Could do without grips but they seem handy enough and want to justify shipping to myself.

Any suggestions on cheaper alternatives?

Buying stuff from outside the EU attracts import duty and VAT upon import into ireland. The post office will hold your stuff to ransom until its paid. UPS etc charge you on delivery. The VAT is charged on the shipping and the duty plus there's a handling fee....
    Make sure you factor this into any price comparissons

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Random question, is overhand wide grip chin-up more or less acknowledged as the standard chin-up as opposed to underhand?
    Overhand is usually referred to as a pullup, underhand as a chinup.

Pullup on the left
    pull-ups-vs-chin-ups.jpg

Most people can do more chins than pullups, wider pullups are usually harder again, and I find narrow grip chinups harder than regular width ones. Pullups are said to work the back more, and close grip chins are usually said to work the biceps well.

If somebody says they can do 10 chinups, I would presume they mean underhand, because 1 -its the usual convention of how to call them, and 2-they can probably do more chins than pulls and so quote that figure since it sounds better!

I am doing a lot more pullups these days as I want to be able to do a muscle up.

If you can already do a rake load of pull ups, it's probably a tekkers issue re muscle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

If you can already do a rake load of pull ups, it's probably a tekkers issue re muscle up.

+1 This.

After I got my first muscle up I tried to do it again a couple of weeks later and I was able to get 5 in a row. The only thing that had changed in them few weeks was my technique. I reckon if you can do 10 - 15 BW pull ups you should have the strength to do a muscle up its just getting the technique right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Ant11 wrote: »
    +1 This.

After I got my first muscle up I tried to do it again a couple of weeks later and I was able to get 5 in a row. The only thing that had changed in them few weeks was my technique. I reckon if you can do 10 - 15 BW pull ups you should have the strength to do a muscle up its just getting the technique right.

Never tried em but could be something fun to throw into the odd workout. Any tips on technique?

Oisín

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement