Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Never tried em but could be something fun to throw into the odd workout. Any tips on technique?

Oisín

False grip, pull deep and keep the rings close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Oisinjm wrote: »

Never tried em but could be something fun to throw into the odd workout. Any tips on technique?

Oisín

It depends what area your having difficulty with. What worked for me was practicing explosive pull ups and getting up as high as I could. I also lowered the bar on squat rack and jumped up onto the bar which kinda simulated the movement of the top part of muscle up.

A pull up is up n down movement but muscle up your a bit away from the bar on the way up, you come at the bar in a kinda semi circle motion if that makes sense. The online tutorials probably explain it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    False grip, pull deep and keep the rings close.

Hoe much easier are muscle ups on a bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you can already do a rake load of pull ups, it's probably a tekkers issue re muscle up.
    Technique is an issue alright, as it my fat belly! I can probably do 12 proper decent pullups, or 14-15 faster ones. I am concentrating on getting really high, and trying straight bar dips

I have also tried negative pushups. I am nowhere near as controlled as this guy, I get low and just swing down. I think it is still useful to feel the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Tried some muscle ups today. They're actually not that easy.

I don't think the dip part is hard but getting my chest high enough to do a dip is. If I didn't get the bar to below my sternum I couldn't push up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

If anyone wants to do a good deed for the day please give this a few seconds of your attention, it's to help an Irish Soccer fan coaching an U9'S team in Germany!

http://collegetimes.ie/irishmans-german-under-9-team-close-to-dream/

apologies to mods if this is not allowed.

If anyone wants to do a good deed for the day please give this a few seconds of your attention, it's to help an Irish Soccer fan coaching an U9'S team in Germany!

DL Saint wrote: »

Like from personal and RevFit page. Will stick it on the RF page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Failed yesterday on 190kg DL. Sickened. My cal intake took a big hit during the day due to work so I felt weaker throughout. Hopeful for better luck next week

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Failed yesterday on 190kg DL. Sickened. My cal intake took a big hit during the day due to work so I felt weaker throughout. Hopeful for better luck next week
    Don't feel too bad. I did my first ever deadlift the other day. 35kg.. go me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here should do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I wanna try some of those mad looking ones out

Found these 3 videos on bar muscleups, the guy has a book & dvd solely about doing the muscleup.

Shows some things I was wondering about, hand/grip position and elbow position. He was recommending to do pullups with elbows facing directly down, which make sense to me, I can only do a few. You see some guys doing awkward muscleups, one arm at a time, and I have seen warnings against that.

I have been using bands for assistance with the new hand position and elbows kept in close, and I got DOMs in places I never felt before. I can get up to a really high position with the assistance, and hold it.

In the videos he also shows what ring exercises to do, to assist the bar muscleup.

I have also been trying gooseneck/"no handed" pullups to strengthen the wrists, and can manage 3 reps now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

well that's retarded.

Like from personal and RevFit page. Will stick it on the RF page too.

Thanks for that Hanley, he is still trailing in 2nd place so all the shares add up and that was very much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I just noticed that there are nearly more girls logs than guys on the first page of the fitness logs at the mo:D

That shi1t is fcuking awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

TheBellJar wrote: »
    I just noticed that there are nearly more girls logs than guys on the first page of the fitness logs at the mo:D

WHOOP there it is!!!!!!!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

TheBellJar wrote: »

That's because most of the guys who used to log here are broken wrecks from years of awesomeness taking there toll on the body...

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

That's because most of the guys who used to log here are broken wrecks from years of awesomeness taking there toll on the body...

I was going to update my log when I read this and lol'd.

No awesomeness but the update to my log was just going to be a list of injuries and general feeling sorry for myself. :(

• Advertisement

Lets reevaluate in a couple of months... The amount of logs that get a few posts in and then drop off to the archives is mental. From guys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Hey Hanley, how does it feel to be upstaged by the Tallafornia gym? :pac:
    aZbl5xS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Can you drop 6% body fat in one week in a healthy way?

I wouldn't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

7lb of actual fat in one week? No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh I didn't think so either.

She's getting a bit of abuse about it on twitter.

CM24 wrote: »
    Hey Hanley, how does it feel to be upstaged by the Tallafornia gym? :pac:
    aZbl5xS.jpg

I could make up **** and being a lying scumbag too, but I choose not to.

Probably not. Anyway 23.6-18.4%=5.2%

But I do think it is quite feasible that an electrical resistance based body composition monitor would give those results over the course of a week. This just demonstrates to me how inaccurate they can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

531900_608822352467446_70619898_n.jpg

What happened to old fashioned fat calipers ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Lets reevaluate in a couple of months... The amount of logs that get a few posts in and then drop off to the archives is mental. From guys and girls.
    Wel hopefully that won't happen this time if everyone keeps encouraging each other :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement