Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The free weights area in my gym is pretty bad as well. There's only one set of each weight for the most part so it can get really irritating when you're looking for a particular set, they could be anywhere. Also hate when people leave heavy weights on the barbells, it can be really difficult to remove them!

There was a guy at my gym yesterday who had constructed what I can only describe as Mount Dumbbell for himself. He had about 10 sets of weights hoarded in a pile up in his corner :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

My gym is dreadful for having dumbbells left around and large groups of lads taking over certain equipment.

The latter bothers me more because surely if you come to the gym with five of your friends, you should all use different machines instead of all of you using the same machine for 40 minutes, and then moving on to another and doing the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sup guys, didn't wanna start a new thread on this because they're pretty simple questions:

I'm about to start weight training after losing a considerable amount of weight. Part of the way i was able to lose the weight I guess is because I was able to track it properly and it became self motivating.

Firstly, does anyone know of a decent app for recording progress when i'm doing the weights programme? I'd ideally like to be able to track changes in weight lifted and track the particular nutrients i'll need to be hitting each day. I'd been using MyFitnessPal for the weight loss, would anyone recommend a better one specifically for what i'm trying or will MFP do?

Secondly, I hear that 3 sets of 10-12 of each exercise is what I need to be aiming for. What is the best way to figure out what weight I should be lifting starting off? Should I go to the gym and test out each exercise until i'm able to just do 10-12 of each exercise?

Apologies for the seemingly silly questions, but i'd just like to get off on the right foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

The latter bothers me more because surely if you come to the gym with five of your friends, you should all use different machines instead of all of you using the same machine for 40 minutes, and then moving on to another and doing the exact same thing!

You would think that but no... these bro's need other bro's to be mirin them when curlin and benching so that swole-synthesis takes place, without the support of fellow brothers in biceps then no sickening gains would be made.. its science bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭chocolatechips

jugger0 wrote: »
    You would think that but no... these bro's need other bro's to be mirin them when curlin and benching so that swole-synthesis takes place, without the support of fellow brothers in biceps then no sickening gains would be made.. its science bro.

Perfect science. I really should have known better to try and separate brothers in biceps, never again! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Firstly, does anyone know of a decent app for recording progress when i'm doing the weights programme? I'd ideally like to be able to track changes in weight lifted and track the particular nutrients i'll need to be hitting each day. I'd been using MyFitnessPal for the weight loss, would anyone recommend a better one specifically for what i'm trying or will MFP do?
    The Stronglifts App does a great job of tracking sets/reps/prescribed weight each week, if you are following SL (I see below you aren't following SL, but you might consider it or similar in the future)

MFP for tracking food, 100%
    Secondly, I hear that 3 sets of 10-12 of each exercise is what I need to be aiming for. What is the best way to figure out what weight I should be lifting starting off? Should I go to the gym and test out each exercise until i'm able to just do 10-12 of each exercise?

Apologies for the seemingly silly questions, but i'd just like to get off on the right foot!

You were told 10-12 is the best for what goals exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

MrStuffins wrote: »

Jefit or gymrat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭COH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

My favourite squat video at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

That may be the most amazing video I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    The Stronglifts App does a great job of tracking sets/reps/prescribed weight each week, if you are following SL (I see below you aren't following SL, but you might consider it or similar in the future)

MFP for tracking food, 100%

You were told 10-12 is the best for what goals exactly.

Oh wow, Stronglifts might be something I should look at. Gonna do some reading now. Cheers Mellor!

Saw a guy doing a clean and jerk on the smith machine tonight, i dont even...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭COH

I see that and raise you muscle ups on the lat pulldown...

COH wrote: »

Mother of god.. you win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

How are either of these things physically possible!?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Is that even possible????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

Barbell rows annoy my back too, for the heavier back stuff Ill either do standing dumbell rows with my free hand taking alot of the weight.
    Or a current favourite of mine is one I seen of the log of WSM competitor Graham Hicks, the 1 arm barbell row. Stick the barbell in a corner like an old school v grip barbell row then load up and row while holding the very end of the bar. Lean on a bench for support, its great for improving grip too.
    The beauty with either option is as far as your upper backs concerned its the same as using a barbell but its half the stress on your lower back.
    If you do any type of pulldowns keep your thumbs on the same side as your 1st finger and see if it helps. Ive no idea why but it always seems to work for anyone Ive said it to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i realised today that in all my time in gyms - many years - I have never used the top row of lockers always the bottom.
    never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Barbell rows annoy my back too, for the heavier back stuff Ill either do standing dumbell rows with my free hand taking alot of the weight.
    Or a current favourite of mine is one I seen of the log of WSM competitor Graham Hicks, the 1 arm barbell row. Stick the barbell in a corner like an old school v grip barbell row then load up and row while holding the very end of the bar. Lean on a bench for support, its great for improving grip too.
    The beauty with either option is as far as your upper backs concerned its the same as using a barbell but its half the stress on your lower back.
    If you do any type of pulldowns keep your thumbs on the same side as your 1st finger and see if it helps. Ive no idea why but it always seems to work for anyone Ive said it to

In my frustration at yesterdays back session I went to youtube and found a couple of Kai Green videos on back and shoulders, seems he hits back at the same time as shoulders (without overhead pressing to be fair) and I gave it a go today.

A lot of the problems I had been having are truly due to the lack of certain equipment in the gym. I'm progressing with pullups but the cable pulldown has one side broken and no bar wider than my shoulders, so effectively it's always a narrowish grip pulldown with max 50kg. Tbars hurt my back, one arms hurt my back, barbell hurts my back, smith machine rows hurt my back :P

I've never gone to a gym where I'd trust the opinion of the person working there. I'm by no means a bodybuilder but I enjoy lifting weights and most of the staff might know the theory behind exercises (as I do) but seem as though they never exercise.

• Advertisement

I'm going to rant again. Apologies in advance

Annoying things in the gym #2

People who sit on the machine during very long rests.

Today I was doing a superset involving the lat pull down. Now I'm more than happy to wait if someone is on the machine and working away. However, someone sitting down having a nice rest inbetween sets is a different story. Especially when I went over and really politely asked "Would you mind if I did a set of six while you're on your rest?" and they go "Well no, I'm in the middle here". And then proceed to sit on the machine for another 2 minutes.

ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant

Today I was doing a superset involving the lat pull down. Now I'm more than happy to wait if someone is on the machine and working away. However, someone sitting down having a nice rest inbetween sets is a different story. Especially when I went over and really politely asked "Would you mind if I did a set of six while you're on your rest?" and they go "Well no, I'm in the middle here". And then proceed to sit on the machine for another 2 minutes.

ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I thought I had made a buddy in the gym. We had loads of chats over the past couple of weeks, I mentioned I have a boyfriend yesterday and he hasn't spoken to me since... so much for making friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Dermighty wrote: »
    In my frustration at yesterdays back session I went to youtube and found a couple of Kai Green videos on back and shoulders, seems he hits back at the same time as shoulders (without overhead pressing to be fair) and I gave it a go today.

A lot of the problems I had been having are truly due to the lack of certain equipment in the gym. I'm progressing with pullups but the cable pulldown has one side broken and no bar wider than my shoulders, so effectively it's always a narrowish grip pulldown with max 50kg. Tbars hurt my back, one arms hurt my back, barbell hurts my back, smith machine rows hurt my back :P

I've never gone to a gym where I'd trust the opinion of the person working there. I'm by no means a bodybuilder but I enjoy lifting weights and most of the staff might know the theory behind exercises (as I do) but seem as though they never exercise.

I hate using genetic freaks as examples but dorian yates credited narrower grip movements like v grip pulldowns as being the main movements that helped build his back.
    As regards your back hurting:
    1. Reduce the weights so theyre too light for you and try and cramp whatever muscles you're hitting. Once thats working for you up the weights per session.

2. Let your free hand take most of the weight leaning on benches or whatever and keep your knees the smallest bit bent to absorbs the shocks.

3. Maybe your back isnt right, either that or it might be too weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

I thought I had made a buddy in the gym. We had loads of chats over the past couple of weeks, I mentioned I have a boyfriend yesterday and he hasn't spoken to me since... so much for making friends :(

thats his problem for having morals

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

You broke the poor lads heart, hes been dreaming/fapping about you 24/7 for weeks now, he's probably been rehearsing how to ask you out, where to bring you etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You broke the poor lads heart, hes been dreaming/fapping about you 24/7 for weeks now, he's probably been rehearsing how to ask you out, where to bring you etc..

Such a way with words :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ahhahahahaahahahahah Bet you hadn't mentioned your new gym friend to your boyfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant
    I haven't used a machine in a long time, but i think the same applies to barbells, racks etc. I'd often spend a bit just standing around between sets, up to 5mins at times. I've no issue at all if some body wanted to do a bit between my sets. A bit strange that they had an issue with it.

On the other hand, if somebody complained that I was taking too long a rest, they could piss off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement