Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

jugger0 wrote: »
    You broke the poor lads heart, hes been dreaming/fapping about you 24/7 for weeks now, he's probably been rehearsing how to ask you out, where to bring you etc..

:pac:
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Ahhahahahaahahahahah Bet you hadn't mentioned your new gym friend to your boyfriend.

Sure I did. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I thought I had made a buddy in the gym. We had loads of chats over the past couple of weeks, I mentioned I have a boyfriend yesterday and he hasn't spoken to me since... so much for making friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Dathai wrote: »

You beat me to it, I was gonna put the same video up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

have you tried inverted rows, did them instead of barbell rows when i had back pain, you can put a plate on your chest to up the weight:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/WTSupineRow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I'm having a lot of trouble with my back day on a four day split. Just never getting a squeeze on my muscles and its wrecking my head. Its the only day that makes me feel like I have no clue what I'm doing.

Warm-up and stretch, barbell row (torso almost parallel to floor), dumbell row, pullovers etc. Naturally I find pull ups hard and am working on them. I also stretch between sets and afterwards. U dealift also, usually once a fortnight, ie every other back session. Barbell and Dingell rows hurt my lower back so much unless I use a low weight or the parallel form approach.

help!

How about introducing some back extension sets into your routine to help strengthen your lower back? Perhaps start with bodyweight then move onto weighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't used a machine in a long time, but i think the same applies to barbells, racks etc. I'd often spend a bit just standing around between sets, up to 5mins at times. I've no issue at all if some body wanted to do a bit between my sets. A bit strange that they had an issue with it.

On the other hand, if somebody complained that I was taking too long a rest, they could piss off.

No issue with the length of his rest at all, only had issue with him being rude really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I hate using genetic freaks as examples but dorian yates credited narrower grip movements like v grip pulldowns as being the main movements that helped build his back.
    As regards your back hurting:
    1. Reduce the weights so theyre too light for you and try and cramp whatever muscles you're hitting. Once thats working for you up the weights per session.

2. Let your free hand take most of the weight leaning on benches or whatever and keep your knees the smallest bit bent to absorbs the shocks.

3. Maybe your back isnt right, either that or it might be too weak.

I'd say my lower back and core are too weak. I love problem solving! Its what makes the gym fun

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd say my lower back and core are too weak. I love problem solving! Its what makes the gym fun

You're probably doing too high volume to begin with. But that's a whole other argument.

Pendlay rows, or as Glenn Pendlay calls them, barbell rows are the answer to any upper back question.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You're probably doing too high volume to begin with. But that's a whole other argument.

Pendlay rows, or as Glenn Pendlay calls them, barbell rows are the answer to any upper back question.

Went through a periodisation cycle so varied from 12-15 reps down to 2-4 reps. Got stronger, no question there, but it might have been coincidental :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone have issues buying jeans?

I tried on a pair today and they loose around the waist but strangling my calves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've never found a pair of jeans in my life that fit right, hence wearing shorts nearly all year round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I tried on a pair today and they loose around the waist but strangling my calves.

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

god help the idea of wearing skinny jeans

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man.

Its not my fault. They are cutting jeans for guys with the legs of a 12 year old.

I finally found a pair that were cut correctly. I hate the current men's "fashion"

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

When buying jeans I always have to go for a much bigger waste than I have, and wear a tight belt with them, jeans were not designed for people who train legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Stop trying to be a hipster and wear baggy jeans like a real man jeans that don't fit properly.

No thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No issue with the length of his rest at all, only had issue with him being rude really!
    Was aiming that at you, just meant in general if so somebody was bothered by it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CleanBurning

DL Saint wrote: »
    When buying jeans I always have to go for a much bigger waste than I have, and wear a tight belt with them, jeans were not designed for people who train legs.

I do the same. Check out Armani comfort leg, but at 120 quid a pop they're pricey enough and if they weren't such thin material I'd just own a few pairs of these.
    Did get a pair given to me that were apparently £5 in Tesco in the UK, they fit perfectly too.
    Anything else I've tried results in bunching up the waistband under a belt.

Any others people can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Do you do good-mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

What about the chafing? ive had to use sun-cream as emergency lube for my thighs before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What about the chafing? ive had to use sun-cream as emergency lube for my thighs before.

Baby oil. Vaseline is surprisingly uncomfortable.

Carhartt make good jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Bicycleshorts style boxers. Great job for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

Bicycleshorts style boxers. Great job for that!

yeah but they tend to disintegrate between the thighs after a while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pullovers

pullovers for back? Interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Thud wrote: »

yeah but they tend to disintegrate between the thighs after a while

True just buy a pack every month or so from penny's. Such is the price of being awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Just back from hols, thankfully managed to get a couple of sessions in over there. Lesson Learned: Sunburn and Shoulder Exercises are not fun....at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

squod wrote: »
    Baby oil. Vaseline is surprisingly uncomfortable.

I'm getting lovely mental images of ye men oiling up your big muscular thighs. Thanks for that. :)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement