Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Anyone have issues buying jeans?

I tried on a pair today and they loose around the waist but strangling my calves.

Jeans are tough but suits are pretty much impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What are people's opinions on Wendler 5/3/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm in my 3rd week of the first cycle. Enjoying it a lot. I downloading the biglifts app which does all your calculations. For the most part I'm doin Boring But Big assistance ( not doing it for deadlifts though).

Before this I had been doing stronglifts but after messing about through December ( baby, then wife were sick, finally my valiant defences collapsed ). I found it hard to get back into, was kind of bored with it.
    January was spent trying to motivate myself but I needed to try something new and 5/3/1 seems to be working for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're trying to increase 1RM, do something else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hanley wrote: »

If you're trying to increase 1RM, do something else

Then what's the benefits of it if it doesn't increase rm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Anyone see Tommy Bowes Bodycheck last night?

Genuinely thought he'd be bigger amd leaner. Strange one. I guess it was just pre pre season when he was tested and stuff but he did look 'skinny'. I use skinny in relative terms.

Anyone else have an opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Genuinely thought he'd be bigger amd leaner. Strange one. I guess it was just pre pre season when he was tested and stuff but he did look 'skinny'. I use skinny in relative terms.

Anywhere online I can watch??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Found it interesting, particularly the parts about CK and muscle damage and lactate thresholds.

I guess he looks 'skinny' due to his height. I think the documentary said he's 6'3 but he's still 100kg so not that lightweight for a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

http://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/10115408/

Says it's not available for me but I think that's just my UK proxy in work.

• Advertisement

Maybe RTE player? Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it actually.

The nutrition aspect of it too.

You can also see him cheating with a prowler sled.

From reading articles Wendler has written and reading the book, I think the main aim of 5/3/1 is a slower building of strength while working on conditioning and fitness.
    The book says that although he had big numbers ( he says he had just squat 1000lbs) he wasnt strong. I took this to mean athletically strong. He was fit or couldnt move quickly etc.

Wendler says in the book that if you press a weight (eg. 50kg x7) one week and the next week you lift it for 8-10 your obviously stronger. You work up to 95% of your 1RM x reps in week 3. Each week you aim to set new PR reps at a weight.

If I'm wrong in the way I took it in I'll gladly be corrected. It may not drive up your 1rm but I'm enjoying my time in the shed again

Really enjoyed the Tommy Bowe programme, I would have liked a bit more about the nutrition side of things though.

I'd love a go of a DEXA scanner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

He is skinny enough, doesn't look very strong, its the same with o gara and sexton, you'd expect them to have more muscle though its not the be all and end all of course, i imagine in o'garas case being bigger would help him with tackling as he gets run over a lot.

Would love to see one of these on sean o brien. Manu tuilagi would be interesting too, pretty sure he claimed a 190kg bench at 20 years old, absolute tank of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭Thud

jugger0 wrote: »
    Would love to see one of these on sean o brien. Manu tuilagi would be interesting too, pretty sure he claimed a 190kg bench at 20 years old, absolute tank of a man.

Come across any lifting figures for Tom Youngs, looks a bit of an animal?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/20/ben-youngs-tom-youngs-leicester-contract

He is skinny enough, doesn't look very strong, its the same with o gara and sexton, you'd expect them to have more muscle though its not the be all and end all of course, i imagine in o'garas case being bigger would help him with tackling as he gets run over a lot.

He was benching 100 for reps on the show.

Yeah Tuilagi's would be interesting. I saw a docu with Owen and Ben Franks Kiwi props and theyve some inpressive numbers tbh. Cleaning quite heavy.

The show did show the science part of the training though which was very interesting. Id like to see how the SandC coach deals with them in the off season with respect to actual pure strength/size training.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Bowe was coming back from surgery...hadnt played or trained right in 6 months. He was at 13% BF and got down to 10% or so. He was in decent shape I thought putting the lay off into the context.

On another note thought id poke my eyes out with the ****e moyna was talking and then that ridicuously stupid interview with the guy comparing breaking steel to breaking bone.

BlueIsland wrote: »

Bowe was coming back from surgery...hadnt played or trained right in 6 months. He was at 13% BF and got down to 10% or so. He was in decent shape I thought putting the lay off into the context.

On another note thought id poke my eyes out with the ****e moyna was talking and then that ridicuously stupid interview with the guy comparing breaking steel to breaking bone.

Yeah the coming back from a lay off was the thing that Id say you could cut him some slack for.

The professor comparing the breaking of bone was pretty geeky. Funny though. I dont know what his point was really but he couldnt have been more your stereotypical lecturer.

Yeah the coming back from a lay off was the thing that Id say you could cut him some slack for.

The professor comparing the breaking of bone was pretty geeky. Funny though. I dont know what his point was really but he couldnt have been more your stereotypical lecturer.

Bowe is the right shape for position he playing and his main attributes he brings to the team!

The professor part was so ridiculous. It was like he was trying to scare Bowe or something.

Thud wrote: »
    Come across any lifting figures for Tom Youngs, looks a bit of an animal?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/20/ben-youngs-tom-youngs-leicester-contract

No its pretty hard to find out about what they're lifting unless some one mentions it in an interview, i suppose its not such a big deal in rugby compared to american football where its a massive deal, look at hook who plays for wales, looks like he never lifted in his life! there is a few others like that, doesn't seem to stop them from being good players though but i cant help but think if they were bigger and stronger surely they'd be better overall?

• Advertisement

No its pretty hard to find out about what they're lifting unless some one mentions it in an interview, i suppose its not such a big deal in rugby compared to american football where its a massive deal, look at hook who plays for wales, looks like he never lifted in his life! there is a few others like that, doesn't seem to stop them from being good players though but i cant help but think if they were bigger and stronger surely they'd be better overall?

I think all players can benefit from being stronger etc but am still doesnt change the fact that the skills are the single most important attribute of a player in most sports. Like I was thinking about it and can think of a tonne of smaller, awkward players in different sports that remain ahead of the bigger, stronger chasing pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He looks much bigger+Leaner here.

British+Irish+Lions+Training+Session+wExQUm6jhl-l.jpg

Yeah very true.

Kinda more expected than what was seen last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Because you still can get stronger on it, I did. Its not a programme that focuses on 1RMs at all, its more about increasing your max's in the 5-10 range.
    On balance Id say its main strength is that its a good programme to get you out of a mental rut, its more of an instant gratification thing where every week you;re looking to beat the weight and/or reps of the last corresponding session as opposed to looking to build up to a peak that might be 6 or 8 weeks away.
    Is it the best plan out there? Probably not but its fine for improving general strength, personally I believe Wendler is off his trolley when it comes to claiming its usefulness for powerlifting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

There's more than likely one rather large difference between ROFG and Sexton vs SOB and Tuilagi.

Paudee wrote: »
    There's more than likely one rather large difference between ROFG and Sexton vs SOB and Tuilagi.

Of course its a bad idea to compare outhalfs to a back row and a center, but being a bit bigger could only be a good thing for the likes of o'gara who is targeted a lot because of his size, ive seen him ran over far too many times, compared to Wilkinson who destroyed most people who ran at him.

Of course its a bad idea to compare outhalfs to a back row and a center, but being a bit bigger could only be a good thing for the likes of o'gara who is targeted a lot because of his size, ive seen him ran over far too many times, compared to Wilkinson who destroyed most people who ran at him.

Swoosh.

Swoosh.

Pray tell friend

Pray tell friend

I'd rather not get done for libel!

• Advertisement

I'd rather not get done for libel!

Ahhhh right... well if it is what i think it is you're suggesting sean o brien thinks you shouldn't have protein shakes, and if you do you should be over 18... take from that what you will. As for manu well have ya seen his family? it runs in the genes, i think rugby isnt too bad when it comes to that sort of stuff, but maybe im being naive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement