Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

My only issue with benching like that would be for the longevity of the lifter. Risk vs Reward. A lot of athletes just want to horse the weight up and aren't too bothered with using the safest technique. I remember watching a documentary on the French judo team training for the 1992 Olympics and thinking their benching was beyond brutal/dangerous.

Check out 2.35 for some good bench technique from an Olympian ;) Actually I think the guy spotting him is David Douillet one of the best Judoka of all time. Actually a nice documentary but this version is cut short and I am too lazy to find the uncut version. It's called Tamami.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Young Earls and cian healy hopping the bar off their chest. Has to be off putting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Any of yas know anywhere that sells deadlifting blocks, or even a link to how to build them? Have a mate looking for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

JJayoo wrote: »
    My only issue with benching like that would be for the longevity of the lifter. Risk vs Reward. A lot of athletes just want to horse the weight up and aren't too bothered with using the safest technique. I remember watching a documentary on the French judo team training for the 1992 Olympics and thinking their benching was beyond brutal/dangerous.

Check out 2.35 for some good bench technique from an Olympian ;) Actually I think the guy spotting him is David Douillet one of the best Judoka of all time. Actually a nice documentary but this version is cut short and I am too lazy to find the uncut version. It's called Tamami.

Interesting doco...a few subtitles wouldn't go astray!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hanley wrote: »
    Not the best? It's f*cking appalling.

haha there was a bone breaking bounce for the 2nd rep... not to mention the amount of 'air' he got off the bench which is actually the first time i've seen that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dathai wrote: »
    Any of yas know anywhere that sells deadlifting blocks, or even a link to how to build them? Have a mate looking for some.
    I think COH built some recently. Shoot him a message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I am now experiencing the joys of good morning doms. I got strange looks from people in the gym when doing them. Though I have never seen someone do a good morning in the gym.

JJayoo wrote: »

That looked horrendous! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

That chap has to have been crippled after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Sweet jebus his back!! F*CK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh christ that guy lifting the boulders was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I am now experiencing the joys of good morning doms. I got strange looks from people in the gym when doing them. Though I have never seen someone do a good morning in the gym.

Have started doing good mornings recently myself. Even very light they leave you walking funny don't they.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have started doing good mornings recently myself. Even very light they leave you walking funny don't they.

Can anyone tell me why they do good mornings?

I hate them. Is there anything they hit a stiff leg or romanian deadlift doesn't?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Brian? wrote: »

I hate them. Is there anything they hit a stiff leg or romanian deadlift doesn't?

you need to try weighted single leg deadlifts
    I really hate them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The placement of the weight makes it exponentially more stressful for me. Especially with a safety squat bar.

I have grip issues on pull movements so it feels like my grip limits my sldl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

you need to try weighted single leg deadlifts
    I really hate them

I do them quite a lot actually. I hate them myself but have a massivly compelling reason to do them
    The placement of the weight makes it exponentially more stressful for me. Especially with a safety squat bar.

Is that a good thing of bad thing?
    I have grip issues on pull movements so it feels like my grip limits my sldl.

Sounds like a reason to do more of them to be honest :) .

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Sounds like a reason to do more of them to be honest :) .

True. I need to focus on grip work now. I think someone had a thread on the strength form on how to improve it. I find the good mornings more enjoyable then the sldl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

"that guy has the worst squat form ive ever seen"

worffacepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Not the best? It's f*cking appalling.
    colman1212 wrote: »
    Irish rugby boys in the gym if anyone is interested.
    Would be interested to see what Sean O'Brien is lifting..

http://www.irishrugby.ie/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=14615

Surprised to see earls benching 120kg!.. Form isn't great but still..

I'm just wondering, in your opinion, what's the problem with a rugby player (or any other athlete) arching their back and having their arse come off the bench during that movement? I understand if someone is benching with aesthetic goals in mind, as excessive arching/leg drive would take emphasis off the pecs, or a powerlifter, as the lift won't count unless it's done with perfect form. But for a rugby player, if doing that allows them to lift heavier and avoid failure, what's the problem? I was told by a coach at a UKSCA seminar earlier this year that he doesn't discourage that at all, as it actually makes the exercise safer (because it places less stress on the shoulders, I think he said). Also, wouldn't it seem to make the exercise more sport-specific, as most horizontal pushing type actions in a sport will involve the lower body as well as the chest/tri's. (Hence, a push press is generally prescribed instead of a strict shoulder press as the main vertical push movement.)

Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to justify benching like that cos it means I can use more weight on the bar, but to me it always feels natural and certainly not dangerous. Also, I'v looked at loads of videos of pro rugby/NFL players benching at Defranco's,etc and they often seem to do it. As for him ''bouncing'' the bar on his chest, I think a lot of the time with really explosive athletes, this is more just compensatory acceleration. (although with Earls it looks like a bit of both). I'm no expert so feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

(Did anyone else notice Paddy Jackson looking on as Madigan was doing the 30kg pull ups, then turning around with a ''ah ****'' look on his face. Was funny, I heard Jackson isn't a fan of the gym work at all.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Anyone know where I order some Biltong to Dublin? Online is preferable as I don't have much time to shop. Biltong.ie and cavemansnacks but seem to have closed down.

CM24 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, in your opinion, what's the problem with a rugby player (or any other athlete) arching their back and having their arse come off the bench during that movement? I understand if someone is benching with aesthetic goals in mind, as excessive arching/leg drive would take emphasis off the pecs, or a powerlifter, as the lift won't count unless it's done with perfect form. But for a rugby player, if doing that allows them to lift heavier and avoid failure, what's the problem? I was told by a coach at a UKSCA seminar earlier this year that he doesn't discourage that at all, as it actually makes the exercise safer (because it places less stress on the shoulders, I think he said). Also, wouldn't it seem to make the exercise more sport-specific, as most horizontal pushing type actions in a sport will involve the lower body as well as the chest/tri's. (Hence, a push press is generally prescribed instead of a strict shoulder press as the main vertical push movement.)

An improper bench setup places more not less stress on shoulders. I haven't seen the video but judging by comments it is unlikely his scaps are properly retracted to save his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Sangre wrote: »
    Anyone know where I order some Biltong to Dublin? Online is preferable as I don't have much time to shop. Biltong.ie and cavemansnacks but seem to have closed down.

http://www.tong.ie/
    Very good quality biltong. Only one size for online but if you drop him an email I'm sure you could order more. If not DM me and I'll see if I can help

tmc86 wrote: »
    http://www.tong.ie/
    Very good quality biltong. Only one size for online but if you drop him an email I'm sure you could order more. If not DM me and I'll see if I can help

Out of stock unfortunately.

Sangre wrote: »

Out of stock unfortunately.

Bulkpowders.co.UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

http://www.kingsbiltong.com/

Not sure if they deliver outside the UK though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Bulkpowders.co.UK

i got 2 packs of this with other stuff ordered recently, tastes good, very convenient 'on the go' and very filling.

just a pity its so expensive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement