Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does anyone else keep getting emails from Hanley telling them how fat they are? :(

Good marketing, inspired me to buy the cookbook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Does anyone else keep getting emails from Hanley telling them how fat they are? :(

Good marketing, inspired me to buy the cookbook.

Hahahahahahahahaha THANKS!! I was very careful to make sure those emails contained only useful info :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hanley wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahahaha THANKS!! I was very careful to make sure those emails contained only useful info :(

They're very informative ;) and the Breakfast Bausti's are yummy. Nice change from scrambled egg :) I'll have to put cauliflower in next time. You're inspiring me to try cauliflower again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Someone torrent the cookbook..

I mess :pac:

They're very informative ;) and the Breakfast Bausti's are yummy. Nice change from scrambled egg :) I'll have to put cauliflower in next time. You're inspiring me to try cauliflower again.

Cauliflower rice. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

All this talk of breakfast baustis... What are they?!

discus wrote: »
    All this talk of breakfast baustis... What are they?!

You'll have to buy the book to find out...
    http://www.revolutionfitness.ie/primal-cooking-for-30-day-fat-loss/

...I kid, I kid (not really, buy the book)

Breakfast Bausti’s
    Ingredients
    • 3 medium-sized eggs
    • 40g courgette
    • 60g slightly steamed cauliflower • 60g cooked chicken
    • Chilli flakes

Method
    1. Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
    2. Chop everything into small pieces.
    3. Fill 6 medium sized muffin cases to about half full with the
    chicken and the veggies.
    4. Beat 2 of the eggs and add some chilli flakes then spoon the egg
    chilli mix equally into each muffin case and bake in oven for
    about 7 min.
    5. Beat remaining egg.
    6. Top up muffins with the remaining egg (reason for that is that the beaten eggs form a bit and then set during the baking process leaving space for the top up).
    7. Bake for another 7 – 8min, serve on a bed of greens.

Hanley wrote: »

I'll buy a copy and have a look only because I'd like to see paleo receipes designed for irish people and not american weights and ingredients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Does anyone know where I can get decent priced coloured bumper plates in Ireland ?
    Cheers
    Jarren

Jarren wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get decent priced coloured bumper plates in Ireland ?
    Cheers
    Jarren

Profitness Supplies

Don't know if decent price or good brand of plates. Sorry I couldn't help more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Thanks Panda for that ,much apprecciated

Don't expect the Eleiko quality , just something to do the job .

Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Hanley, or anyone for that matter, do you have any good suggestions for an egg replacement for the likes of your breakfast bausti's or any similar type muffins? They sound amazing but I'm allergic to egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Jarren wrote: »
    Cheers
    Jarren

If you don't mind getting black plates, D8 fitness do pretty good value bumpers. I've been using them for the last year and they're still going strong.

http://www.d8fitness.com/store/bumper-plates/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I bought the book Hanley.

Where are the desserts?!??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Was wondering if anyone could give me a slight bit of advice.

So i've just lost a significant amount of weight. And now my plan is to hit the gym and do some resistance training. I've been doing so the past few weeks and I love it.

For the past 8-9 months i've been living on a calorie deficit, losing a little bit every week. Now i'm in my gym phase and I obviously don't want to be on a deficit anymore. I'm still 88KG. Making sure to hit at least 150g of protein a day and eating as well as I can (which is far from perfect).

So i've been hitting my calorie target, approx 2400 break even point, most days and going over that some days. It's very unsettling to me because for so long i've been losing weight, I don't want to be getting into habits that will make me put it back on (body fat that is).

However, I was skeptical of some bro-science I was told last week whereby they said i SHOULD go over my calorie limit most days if i'm lifting 3 days a week.

My goal is to drop body-fat slowly and get stronger. Should I be hitting my target? Going over? Perhaps adding some cardio and dropping under it?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Was wondering if anyone could give me a slight bit of advice.

So i've just lost a significant amount of weight. And now my plan is to hit the gym and do some resistance training. I've been doing so the past few weeks and I love it.

For the past 8-9 months i've been living on a calorie deficit, losing a little bit every week. Now i'm in my gym phase and I obviously don't want to be on a deficit anymore. I'm still 88KG. Making sure to hit at least 150g of protein a day and eating as well as I can (which is far from perfect).

So i've been hitting my calorie target, approx 2400 break even point, most days and going over that some days. It's very unsettling to me because for so long i've been losing weight, I don't want to be getting into habits that will make me put it back on (body fat that is).

However, I was skeptical of some bro-science I was told last week whereby they said i SHOULD go over my calorie limit most days if i'm lifting 3 days a week.

My goal is to drop body-fat slowly and get stronger. Should I be hitting my target? Going over? Perhaps adding some cardio and dropping under it?

i understand your dilemma.

my advice is to continue allow the path of reducing bodyfat until you reach 10-12%. measure with calipers at home to get this estimate.

speaking from personal experience, when you reduce bodyfat, your gains in muscle will be more visible and provide you with greater motivation to get in better shape.

usually to reduce bodyfat you would eat at a calorific deficit keeping your macros - proteins carbs fats in a good ratio. but you could 'recomp' - recomposition your body, maintaining same weight but over time swapping bodyfat for muscle. this would mean eating at maintenance over a week, but a surplus on training days, and deficit on non training days.

the main thing is not to slip back into old habits, as you said, thats why i would recommend continuing dropping bodyfat on a deficit and using resistance training to get stronger along the way.

Thanks so so much for the advice.

So you'd suggest a surplus on training days and a deficit on non training days, to add up to an overall weekly Break Even Point? Would this allow me to build strength and not but on body fat?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Thanks so so much for the advice.

So you'd suggest a surplus on training days and a deficit on non training days, to add up to an overall weekly Break Even Point? Would this allow me to build strength and not but on body fat?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

the above is a great read and will set you on your way.

id suggest continuing at a deficit till you get down to a bodyfat percentage like 10 - 12% as then you any gains you make will be more visible.

if you do want to maintain your weight at 88kgs then this 'recomp' is one way to do it, but it does take time and you might not see results quick enough to keep you motivated. thats why i suggest continue on the calorie deficit to get to a lower bodyfat. once you get to that lower bodyfat you can then start to increase your calories and gain muscle, and that muscle gain will be a lot more obvious.

but if you really want this recomp method then here is an example of how it might work:

88kg is 194lbs.
    1gram protein = 4cals, 1 grams carbs = 4cals, 1 gram fats = 9cals

a simplified maintenance diet would be 194lbs x 15 = 2910 cals.
    so then take a 40%protein_40%carb_20%fat diet from these calories:

40% of 2910 - 1164cals protein = 291grams protein

40% of 2910 - 1164cals carbs = 291grams carbs

20% of 2910 - 582cals fats = 65grams fats.

that would be a normal maintenance day. but you would be doing +20%cals on 3 training days, and -15%cals on 4 non training days.

the simplest way to do this is by 'carb cycling' which is to adjust only the carbs and leave protein and fats the same.

training days +20%cals = +2910x0.2cals = +582cals = +145grams carbs

so training days 291+145 = 436grams carbs

non training days -15%cals = -2910x0.15cals = -436cals = -109grams carbs

so non training days 291-109 = 182grams carbs

so we are left with:

training day :
    291 grams protein
    436grams carbs
    65grams fats.

non training days:
    291grams protein
    182grams carbs
    65grams fats

it can get complicated but its just to give you an idea of how you can manipulate your diet to get the results you seek.

everyone is different. what worked for me might not work as well for you. its trial and error but keep your motivation, if you've lost a lot of fat as you say, then you're doing great already.

that's the important thing to remember!

You are an absolute legend. thank you so much for the detailed answer.

I'll read what you suggested and do some more research. Once again, thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A couple of questions/pointers Stuffins.

When you say you're in your Gym phase, where you not training at all for the last few months? Or simply not resistance training.

Why are you opposed to continung a deficit?

Forget about what weight you want to be. Lots if people start threads saying they are happy with their weight, they just want to lose fat. It's best to just lose the fat and not worry if the scales move.

Aiming to recomp, eating +/- cals on traing/test days is one method. But it's slow and unnessecery unless you are pretty lean as it is. The post above that planned it out, suggested that you just continue defective first, I'd agree tbh.

It doesn't have to be a severe deficit. Make the deficit smaller. Allow a re-feed at the weekend. It's possible to increase strength on a deficit, at least in the early stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Hey Paddywiggum, you seem to know a bit about recomping and carb cycling. I'm just wondering why you leave the fat at 65g even on the surplus day. From all the reading about it I'v done, I gather that dietary fat gets stored instantly when you are eating above maintenance. I'v done a bit of Leangains style dieting before, where I didn't count calories, I just did two really high carb days and the rest were low carb, medium fat and high protein. It worked well, but the high carb days weren't even very enjoyable because I was so anal about keeping the fat as low as possible.(in case it went straight into my fat stores.)

I'v read a lot about these type of diets and some writers say to make sure you stay below 50g fat on ''refeed'' days, while others don't mention altering your fat intake at all. Basically, I'm wondering if the fat that gets stored during your refeed would simply get burned off again during the low carb days?

Also, Mellor, have a read of this and see what you think. It's an article written in support of ''recomp'' style diets rather than steady deficit diets. http://propanefitness.com/why-your-last-diet-failed-the-biggest-problem-with-traditional-dieting/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

blah88 wrote: »
    Hey Paddywiggum, you seem to know a bit about recomping and carb cycling. I'm just wondering why you leave the fat at 65g even on the surplus day. From all the reading about it I'v done, I gather that dietary fat gets stored instantly when you are eating above maintenance.
    I think you misunderstood what you read.*
    Fat won't get stored instantly above maintenance. If that were true, it would be impossible to put on any muscle, because as soon as you are in surplus and you store the dietary fat. Which obvious isn't what happens.
    The process of growing muscle uses energy (not just protein), this extra energy eliminates the surplus. The -/+ calories of leangains try's to allow cals for growth, but then cut back any left over plus body fat.

*I imagine it was referring to the fact that when you have excess calories (inc muscle growth needs) and your body needs to store them as fat. It will store dietary fat directly as body fat rather than using it for energy and converting carbs to fat.

I'll have a look at that article on my lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Oook I think I get it now. So basically, you can only build so much muscle at a time, thus, there's no reason to go over +20% of your maintenance calories on your surplus day. If I stay within the 20% limit, I can have a decent amount of fat during the day and it will most likely not get stored as bodyfat, as the extra 20% of calories will be burnt off in the process of building muscle? (Assuming you trained hard enough).

I hate counting calories though. I tend to just scoff as many carbs as I can during the refeed days then avoid them like the plague during the other days. It seems to work but it's not a very sustainable lifestyle IMO. Causes big mood swings for me and your constantly craving either carbs or fats. I need to get the balance right.

313772_499571490080095_1111294995_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

People seem to have forgotten the point of an off topic thread. A lot of terribly on topic discussion going on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Fair enough. Id just like to add that ive a 5euro Superquinn fry breakfast in the fridge and i dont care how many calories is in it, im having the lot in the morn!

Mellor wrote: »
    A couple of questions/pointers Stuffins.

When you say you're in your Gym phase, where you not training at all for the last few months? Or simply not resistance training.

I was doing cardio, but not resistance training. I was doing some bodyweight stuff but not a lot. I was concentrating on getting lighter so it was cardio mostly.
    Why are you opposed to continuing a deficit?

Well, from what the bros tell me, I shouldn't be resistance training while on a deficit? I'd be happy to continue the deficit if this will be effective.
    Forget about what weight you want to be. Lots if people start threads saying they are happy with their weight, they just want to lose fat. It's best to just lose the fat and not worry if the scales move.

This would be perfect. If I could stay the weight I am now but drop BF, i'd be delighted.
    Aiming to recomp, eating +/- cals on traing/test days is one method. But it's slow and unnessecery unless you are pretty lean as it is. The post above that planned it out, suggested that you just continue defective first, I'd agree tbh.

Awesome! I'll continue the deficit.
    Brian? wrote: »
    People seem to have forgotten the point of an off topic thread. A lot of terribly on topic discussion going on.

Sorry dude, I just didn't want to clog up the forum with a new thread (I just clogged up the OT thread instead :P )

Cheers for the advice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hanley, or any of the rest of the lads lurking about- he posted a post on someones training log about wrist position for squatting and for the life of me I can't remember who's. If you or anyone would post it here it'd be awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hanley, or any of the rest of the lads lurking about- he posted a post on someones training log about wrist position for squatting and for the life of me I can't remember who's. If you or anyone would post it here it'd be awesome :D

Here's the link to the original thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470943

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Here you go:

http://jameshanley.ie/index.php/2012/03/04/squat_sore_wrists_hand_position/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

anyone notice the similarities between this:
    http://jameshanley.ie/
    and this
    http://www.personal-trainer-dublin.com/jayfarrant/

ok maybe it's just the same bird in there banner...and some of the topics look similar :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement