Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I should be banned from this forum for my diet recently.

An absolute joke.

Ive put on about 3kg just from eating so damn bad.

BUT, Ive progressed in my lifts!

Easy part is the workout. hard part is the diet.

An absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

An absolute joke.

Just call it a bulk.

haha, Im bulking pretty nicely so! A little too nicely around the middle unfortunately.

just off the back of my best ever cut too. Got to the phase where I thought I could do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/supertraining-tv

supertraining are doing some sort of meet thing right now-I think efferding is taking part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-football-recruiting-2013/2013/3/23/4139908/baylor-2013-dt-andrew-billings-breaks-mark-henrys-state-powerlifting-record

"With a combined lift of 2010 lbs in the squat, bench, and deadlifts today, incoming Baylor DT Andrew Billings of Waco, Texas broke Mark Henry's longstanding record and became the second Texas high schooler ever to cross the 2000-lb. threshold"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

God bless em even after all this time they can still make my jaw drop at how f*cking moronically retarded they are.

261395_406636986099716_368655206_n.png

Yeah slamming jacked3D off season ain't gonna do jack for your fran time come throwdown day brah.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

token wrote: »
    God bless em even after all this time they can still make my jaw drop at how f*cking moronically retarded they are.

261395_406636986099716_368655206_n.png

Yeah slamming jacked3D off season ain't gonna do jack for your fran time come throwdown day brah.

That's actually hilarious. "how does doping in tue off season help performance in the crossfit games"? Are they for real or simply playing dumb?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Looks like WADA are wasting their time and money with all this out-of-competition testing lark in proper sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I like the cut of these guys jib

https://twitter.com/AussieCrossFit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Bigger, Stronger and Faster kipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Out of interest, does anyone here do fasting/warrior style diet? I read about it recently and I don't know how anyone could do it. I never could, even cutting and at times of under eating I am the crankiest most irritable bastard ever. There is no way I could last til evening without eating.....without the potential for some type of mass killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone here do fasting/warrior style diet? I read about it recently and I don't know how anyone could do it. I never could, even cutting and at times of under eating I am the crankiest most irritable bastard ever. There is no way I could last til evening without eating.....without the potential for some type of mass killing.

i do intermittent fasting, really works for me. id say it took about 2 weeks for my body to adjust to it. i now find ive more energy in mornings in fasted state then used before. very good for lean gains ive found.

i break the fast round 1pm with protein/fats till evening when i have carbs ( around workout). last thing i eat is 300g cottage cheese round 9pm.

instead of having problems sticking to the fast i actually find i can stay fasted till 2/3pm and then the problem arises of having enough time to stuff my face without feeling too full for workout.

overall, its strange but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone got a working calculator for Coans Bench Press? Mate rang saying he spent ages trying to find one for himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Anyone got a working calculator for Coans Bench Press? Mate rang saying he spent ages trying to find one for himself..

boom!
    http://www.joeskopec.com/edcoanbench.html

I dunno why but nor on google chrome or internet explorer, I can't even put my own 1RM into it. Does it work for anyone else? Anyway, I'll send him the link it might work on his own compooper.

Thanks deadlybuzzman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I dunno why but nor on google chrome or internet explorer, I can't even put my own 1RM into it. Does it work for anyone else? Anyway, I'll send him the link it might work on his own compooper.

Thanks deadlybuzzman!

Click between:

Enter your RM:

Click here

[Calculate]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Interesting program that one, although I suppose it is only really suited for powerlifting rather than increasing for a regular gym fitness?

Just finished the Smolov Jr bench program which I thought was fantastic. The third week was tough (mainly because I kept up my own program on top of it) but I noticed a big difference - at least 10kg over 3 weeks exactly what the program stated.

I have 2 weeks off from work too so I think I might try the Smolov Jr squat program as I've neglected them somewhat lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

Thanks deadlybuzzman!

sure "you mate", are you doing multiple programmes again?
    :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

tmc86 wrote: »
    Interesting program that one, although I suppose it is only really suited for powerlifting rather than increasing for a regular gym fitness?

Just finished the Smolov Jr bench program which I thought was fantastic. The third week was tough (mainly because I kept up my own program on top of it) but I noticed a big difference - at least 10kg over 3 weeks exactly what the program stated.

I have 2 weeks off from work too so I think I might try the Smolov Jr squat program as I've neglected them somewhat lately!

What is "regular gym fitness"?

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »

sure "you mate", are you doing multiple programmes again?
    :p

No genuinely is his own doing. Im still recovering week to week from my own programme so it's stupid to do another.

Hanley wrote: »
    What is "regular gym fitness"?

sorry that was a very vague (& lazy) term - In my mind it would be someone who goes to the gym to work out with goals of of improving physique/aesthetics and health whilst also hoping to improve overall strength -rather than having a specific focus/interest in powerlifting and achieving noticeable strength gains in squat/bench/deadlift.

To bring it back to clarity, I should have personalised it by explaining that I go to the gym for 3 reasons (no order of priority!);

1. Feel good factor/stress buster
    2. the typical look good naked aesthetics factor
    3. To improve strength

In my opinion these factors would be common enough for the majority of gym goers in mainstream gyms i.e. your typical leisure centre/gym chain

tmc86 wrote: »
    sorry that was a very vague (& lazy) term - In my mind it would be someone who goes to the gym to work out with goals of of improving physique/aesthetics and health whilst also hoping to improve overall strength -rather than having a specific focus/interest in powerlifting and achieving noticeable strength gains in squat/bench/deadlift.

To bring it back to clarity, I should have personalised it by explaining that I go to the gym for 3 reasons (no order of priority!);

1. Feel good factor/stress buster
    2. the typical look good naked aesthetics factor
    3. To improve strength

In my opinion these factors would be common enough for the majority of gym goers in mainstream gyms i.e. your typical leisure centre/gym chain

A bigger bench will help all of those things....

1) smash weight is awesome, and having a program in place where you just follow it reduces the stress of worrying about your training
    2) big chest & arms = instant awesomeness
    3) ...nah, Coan won't help :D

Hanley wrote: »
    A bigger bench will help all of those things....

1) smash weight is awesome, and having a program in place where you just follow it reduces the stress of worrying about your training
    2) big chest & arms = instant awesomeness
    3) ...nah, Coan won't help :D

I agree with all there - and 1) & 2) have definitely come from the Smolov Jr too :P

But I think my initial questioning of the program was that for me personally the program looks long and reps and sets look quite low. i.e. 6 sets on Wednesday (2 x bench, close grip, incline) of only 10 reps at approx 70% of RM. Its not until week 10 that you should be doing 2xRM for 2 sets. To me 10 weeks sounds like a long time of prep just to be able to do 2x2xRM (although I'm not claiming to have an in-depth knowledge/experience in this area merely stating how it seems in relation to my own routines/experience)

Maybe its just because I have come off the back of Smolov Jr which is obviously benching 4 times a week rather than 2 sessions (1 light) with the Coan program.

Just wondering if there is a specific reasoning why it appears to be a slow build up and includes 12 weeks. Perhaps it is designed this way so that other routines/programs don't get neglected since it isn't as intense and demanding as the Smolov Jr?

It works out at increasing RM by 10kg in week 12 which is the same as Smolov Jr in 3 weeks so I presume its just a longer more manageable program?

Or is it because people starting this program would be more likely to be competent in powerlifting or have a higher RM than I would and therefore it would take longer to improve RM by 10kg as gains may be slower for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you improved your bench by 10kg over 3 weeks of smolov jr there's probably external factors at play. If you are new to lifting you makes gains quickly early on. This rate won't be maintained. If you run it again you won't get another 10kg. Or even if you're not new, maybe the volume of programmed benching simply sorted your technique.
    I'd guess that you went from 80kg to 90kg. Consider sonebody with a 180kg bench, Coan should take them to 200kg. Which would be huge gains over 12 weeks imo

Mellor wrote: »
    If you improved your bench by 10kg over 3 weeks of smolov jr there's probably external factors at play. If you are new to lifting you makes gains quickly early on. This rate won't be maintained. If you run it again you won't get another 10kg. Or even if you're not new, maybe the volume of programmed benching simply sorted your technique.
    I'd guess that you went from 80kg to 90kg. Consider sonebody with a 180kg bench, Coan should take them to 200kg. Which would be huge gains over 12 weeks imo

Ok that's what I was thinking. You're spot on so, I'd be relatively new to structured bench programs having previously focused on higher rep sets and dumbell benching so that 10kg gain can be classified under "new to lifting".

That makes sense - the higher your RM the more beneficial this program would be. I think I'll still be able to make gains quite quickly with a second round of smolov so I'd say that its probably better suited to me for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

That creatine stuff is one dangerous drug, stay away guys ;)

http://www.drugs.ie/drugtypes/drug/creatine

DL Saint wrote: »

That's an absolutely outstanding info piece on creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

DL Saint wrote: »

Must ring the drug helpline during the week.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I used to be happy with just Whey..........

Now I can't stop myself suckin creatine off of hooers bums in shady hotels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement