Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I have the barbell that comes in that package, I wouldn't recommend it tbh. I've had two of them and have had problems with both. First one bent after very little use and they replaced it. Second one didn't bend but one of the sleeves locked up after a few months.

I wouldn't have a problem dealing with strength shop, they're good guys, but I wouldn't recommend that bar if it's going to be dropped from overhead with bumpers.

I was going to go for the coloured bumpers and bar upgrade, is it the standard bar that you had issues with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I was going to go for the coloured bumpers and bar upgrade, is it the standard bar that you had issues with?

Yep I had the spring steel weightlifting bar. I have no experience with the perpetual bar, they offer a lifetime warranty on it though so I guess it must be better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone point me in the direction of a decent bar and bumper package.
    I know Mickk was supposed to be getting them in, they are not on the irish lifting site but he could well have some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

10 year warranty on the plates and a lifetime on the bar if you upgrade for 500 sterling....

Christ thats a savage deal.

• Advertisement

It's a 150kg pack too.

Struggling to justify not getting it at this stage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looks like an amazing deal if legit. What's the landed €€€ cost?

Hanley wrote: »
    Looks like an amazing deal if legit. What's the landed €€€ cost?

upgrading to the better bar with black bumpers comes in at 750 ish landed.

Thats a serious deal right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Dathai wrote: »

Jaysus that and a remote house in russian and you could make Rio...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Someday when I have the money I'll blow it all an Elieko Comp set.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Someday when I have the money I'll blow it all an Elieko Comp set.

and a ticket to russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

and a ticket to russia?

Maybe a bit further east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Can anybody suggest an online site store that sells a good olympic weight set at a reasonable price?

Something like this but I'm presuming that's way overpriced because it's maximuscle and better value can be gotten elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Blatter wrote: »
    Can anybody suggest an online site store that sells a good olympic weight set at a reasonable price?

Something like this but I'm presuming that's way overpriced because it's maximuscle and better value can be gotten elsewhere?

Yup, much better quality and more weights at Irish Lifting...

http://www.irish-lifting.com/140kg-olympic-set-pe-259.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone got any good foam rolling videos?

Cheers to Hanley for the newsletter on the grid offer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Anyone got any good foam rolling videos?

Cheers to Hanley for the newsletter on the grid offer too.

There's plenty on Hanleys YouTube page, he actually sent out a foam roller manual not too long ago. Or YouTube in general has loads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ant11 wrote: »
    There's plenty on Hanleys YouTube page, he actually sent out a foam roller manual not too long ago. Or YouTube in general has loads.

If you're on the newsletter list you'll get the foam roll manual about 14 days or so after you opt in!!

Thanks Ant, I know YouTube has loads but it also has loads of ****e on it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hi,

If I train legs on a monday is it advisable to go for a run (around 5k on the road) on tuesday or wednesday as part of a cardio regime, or is waiting a better option for recovery. I train a 4 day split at the moment.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dermighty wrote: »
    Hi,

If I train legs on a monday

Everyday is leg day.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Hi,

If I train legs on a monday is it advisable to go for a run (around 5k on the road) on tuesday or wednesday as part of a cardio regime, or is waiting a better option for recovery. I train a 4 day split at the moment.

Thanks.

i dont see a problem with it. my leg day is wednesday. i also do calves mon & fri.

on tues and thurs i cycle for 30mins.

taken together the legs are the largest muscle group (half ur body) and can take quite a pounding. just make sure youre feeding them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

A new diet has hit the scene. The principle is that if we eat in the same manner as animals we will eat less calories. Instructional video below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

i dont see a problem with it. my leg day is wednesday. i also do calves mon & fri.

on tues and thurs i cycle for 30mins.

taken together the legs are the largest muscle group (half ur body) and can take quite a pounding. just make sure youre feeding them properly.

Yeah I know they're big and I don't feel like I'd be ****ing myself up if I ran, but I want optimal training in the long run, rather than doing whatever I can, if that makes sense.

I like to train with intensity, I eat regularly and I eat well, also I take good quality supplements to help with recovery. I focus more on the contraction of the muscle and getting a full range of motion than lifting as much weight as I can, not that there is anything wrong with weightlifting. I suppose I'm more a bodybuilder than a weightlifter when it comes to my workouts.

As well as a dedicated leg day I cycle 5 miles every day (part of going to and fro to college) and I would walk a few miles too. I like running a lot, just want to know if it would impede recovery to run regularly as well as do a leg session. Also, say I was lifting in the 3 to 6 rep range, going heavy (relatively speaking) and going for more mass, would running affect that differently than the it would a 15 rep range leg session?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

oVyXc9L.gif

Have seen videos of this guy benching 600 pounds raw, she did well to hide the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

****in hell, the faces on them, I'd say that left a bruise.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Yeah I know they're big and I don't feel like I'd be ****ing myself up if I ran, but I want optimal training in the long run, rather than doing whatever I can, if that makes sense.

I like to train with intensity, I eat regularly and I eat well, also I take good quality supplements to help with recovery. I focus more on the contraction of the muscle and getting a full range of motion than lifting as much weight as I can, not that there is anything wrong with weightlifting. I suppose I'm more a bodybuilder than a weightlifter when it comes to my workouts.

As well as a dedicated leg day I cycle 5 miles every day (part of going to and fro to college) and I would walk a few miles too. I like running a lot, just want to know if it would impede recovery to run regularly as well as do a leg session. Also, say I was lifting in the 3 to 6 rep range, going heavy (relatively speaking) and going for more mass, would running affect that differently than the it would a 15 rep range leg session?

3 to 6 rep range for legs would be considered strength training. to build mass id recommend 8-12 reps.
    today was my own leg day.
    ive had very good results with 3 sets of 10 of squats, front squats, stiff leg deadlift and standard deadlift. i mix in 3 sets of 15 standing calves and then seated calves. i finish with lighter seated ext and seated curl to failure. im ready for the couch after that!

bare in mind im working my legs once a week, wit 2 other days for calves.
    i find this high volume effective for me.

what if you try mixing up the rep ranges from week to week, see how you respond. lots of programs recommend this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size-training.html

544729_400461900052506_381450235_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

There is an short interesting article on the physics involved in a clean and jerk in the Red Bulletin today. It concludes that for Matthias Steiner's c&j of 258kg he generates 3,194watts or 4.3 horsepower.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement