Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Best post ever!
    This fitness log is dying.
    It's a far cry from the hub of activity it was a few months ago.

Can we merge Hanley's log back into this one at least? Both are covering the same ground only one is done shirtless and the other done in a constant state of injury. Most of the training these days in this fitness log is plain boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Lads, where would I get a decent belt online? Say 60e or so? Tried strength shop but the delivery wouldn't make it worth it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Been looking at pullum-sports one myself recently. Haven't tried it but seems to get decent reviews and could value. US sites are prohibitively expensive for shipping imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

This girl is jacked as hell & only 21 years old. Now signed with the WWE. Right we all know its harder for girls to build muscle & the chances of them becoming big & bulky over night is rubbish. My question is can girls become this big & jacked without assistance?

969713586.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

^^ No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The big question is why is the guys bicep so big compared to all the rest of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

C6BA4117-0CC3-46DE-8233-E37383FEE9A6-14485-00001244EB7658FF_zps973a2ac5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

matrim wrote: »
    The big question is why is the guys bicep so big compared to all the rest of him.

He prob is an arm wrestler they tend to have d gunz

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My question is can girls become this big & jacked without assistance?

I had a quick look on the google machine. She was a pro arm wrestler I've no idea what testing is like for them but she in her other pics she doesn't look as unbelievably massive compared to above. So I'd assume that she had an "assistance" cycle ahead if her WWE debut

Quick questions guys - I've recently started to incorporate some clean & presses into my shoulders workout to replace the seated DB military press.

Just looking for a guideline as what I should be able to manage/whats acceptable!

DB military press would have been as follows;
    20kg DB's 2x12
    22.5Kg DB's 2 x 10
    25kg DB's 2x6

I struggle to get 27.5kg DB's up overhead without a spot but once they are up I can get a set of 3 controlled reps to finish.

My last shoulder session I completed the C&P at the end of my workout;
    bar x 12
    30kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    40kg x 6
    45kg x 4

Does this look acceptable for starting off (BW@80kg) or should I be hitting higher weights? Next session I'll do the C&P near the start of the workout rather at the very end.

thoughts/opinions/advice/criticisms?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tmc86 wrote: »
    I struggle to get 27.5kg DB's up overhead without a spot but once they are up I can get a set of 3 controlled reps to finish.
    I do mine one arm at a time, so I can use the free hand to assist getting it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

are you push pressing or military pressing after the clean?

Thud wrote: »
    are you push pressing or military pressing after the clean?

I suppose the lower weights would be military press with strict form and no leg drive but when I went up to 45kg it would have been more of a push press using my legs to help drive.

I haven't tried one arm at a time, I'll test this out next time I'm doing seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

CT Fletcher just tore the **** out of my deadlifts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Trolled, big style :P

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Trolled, big style :P

I know:pac: Saw the name and was like 'Hoooooooly **** CT Fletcher!!' The looked at his subs.. all 6 of them:pac:

25kg DB's 2x6

I had/have almost the same issue. I never tried to get a spot, but I know if I was out of the hole I'd get a few reps. My solution is currently work the lower weight more, up until 8 or 10 reps, then try again.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I do mine one arm at a time, so I can use the free hand to assist getting it up.

Seated or standing. How do you keep you shoulders level? Or do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Eh?

Mellor wrote: »
    I had/have almost the same issue. I never tried to get a spot, but I know if I was out of the hole I'd get a few reps. My solution is currently work the lower weight more, up until 8 or 10 reps, then try again.

Yeah, I'll ask my spotter to just support my elbows on the way up with a little push but once their up it's grand.

That's why I like working both shoulders at the same time as it feels balanced and more controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yeah, I'll ask my spotter to just support my elbows on the way up with a little push but once their up it's grand.

That's why I like working both shoulders at the same time as it feels balanced and more controlled.

Have you tried doing one arm at a time while standing? I'm no scientist but IMO it's about a billion times better than doing them seated.

Mellor wrote: »
    Standing, I don't think I could manage it seated at all. My shoulders would usually not be level, sometimes it looks more like kettlebell pressing where you might see a guy tilting to one side.

I find I can lift a lot more than half of what I could do with a military press (i.e. I use maybe 27kg dumbbell and no way I would do the same reps with 54kg on a barbell). This could be partly since I feel safer, if I did go to failure with the single dumbbell I can use the other arm to assist. I also usually use a fat gripz on the dumbbell handle and find I lift more, its more comfortable on the palm. I am also probably using momentum a bit more, like a sort of push press. I sometimes use a gripper or empty fat gripz in my free hand and find tensioning it helps the working arm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Standing, I don't think I could manage it seated at all. My shoulders would usually not be level, sometimes it looks more like kettlebell pressing where you might see a guy tilting to one side.

I find I can lift a lot more than half of what I could do with a military press (i.e. I use maybe 27kg dumbbell and no way I would do the same reps with 54kg on a barbell). This could be partly since I feel safer, if I did go to failure with the single dumbbell I can use the other arm to assist. I also usually use a fat gripz on the dumbbell handle and find I lift more, its more comfortable on the palm. I am also probably using momentum a bit more, like a sort of push press. I sometimes use a gripper or empty fat gripz in my free hand and find tensioning it helps the working arm.

Dunno which way you rotate during the movement. If the db is parallel with the shoulder or perpendicular? Any way some lad told me to always do it perpendicular ways as it causes less internal rotation. Better natural movement. That lad is fairly strong as far a db pressing goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Picked up an olympic set from irishlifting earlier
    Fcking delighted

* thinly veiled showing off post

Picked up an olympic set from irishlifting earlier
    Fcking delighted

* thinly veiled showing off post

Jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Jealous :(

I thought it was going to be a few months before I could afford it, but the Lifting Gods have been kind to this skinny mortal

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhsjfg1lEEXNoT3qzT8FzF8q6cQF_0RA_8Krf0O07HlTrO_8A_XQ

SOON

Simple parallel bars
    2011-02-01%2B09.24.08.jpg

it could be just nails/screws stopping the bars rolling. You could have several nail positions allowing you have bars at angles. And could use barbells for bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Simple parallel bars
    2011-02-01%2B09.24.08.jpg

it could be just nails/screws stopping the bars rolling. You could have several nail positions allowing you have bars at angles. And could use barbells for bars.

Be nice to have the space for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just tracking an order I made with iHerb on Sunday.

It took just under 36 hours to get more than 5000 miles from California to Dublin. Just like last time.

And just like last time, it will take at least the same again to travel the 8 miles from the depot to my address. Gotta love the Irish way.

Just tracking an order I made with iHerb on Sunday.

It took just under 36 hours to get more than 5000 miles from California to Dublin. Just like last time.

And just like last time, it will take at least the same again to travel the 8 miles from the depot to my address. Gotta love the Irish way.
    It's not an Irish thing. It would prob have timings going the other direction. Stuff gets held up in customs coming in, but not going out.
    At least thats been my exp sending stuff from ireland. 2 days to sydney and then 3-7 for the last few km. One card disappeared for 4 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Nope, went through customs very quickly, after arriving at sort facility. Then back to sort facility. Then on hold. Then sort facility. Then delivery centre. But I was being pessimistic. I got it this morning. I just think the local crowd isn't as efficient as could be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement