Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

looks deadly out today, good for any outdoor training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Zombienosh wrote: »
    looks deadly out today, good for any outdoor training.

Bang on, I plan to whip out my home dip station:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Bang on, I plan to whip out my home dip station:pac:

What did you make it from. Before I picked my gym rings I was toying with the idea of building one from pvc waste pipe and corners.

Any photos ?

What did you make it from. Before I picked my gym rings I was toying with the idea of building one from pvc waste pipe and corners.

Any photos ?

I'll take a few pictures for you in a bit. It looks disgraceful but it gets the job done. I plan on making another soon though. Something that doesn't need to be propped up by 4 alloys:pac: I had some old trampoline poles and wood and big ass nails and threw it together.

I just threw it together to see if it would actually work. In hindsight, I'll make the new one with the bars slightly closer together.

http://www.tomharveytraining.com/2012/03/25/dyi-dip-station-design/

Nice plans on making one from pvc waste etc.

The first 2:30 minutes are about dip station

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. I didn't think PVC would hold! Any idea on cost of it?

Depending on where you buy it €60-€80. A plumbing wholesaler would be obviously cheaper than Woodies or Homebase.

You need 9 meters ( 3 lengths) of the pipe to make all the smaller sections. 8 right angles and 6 T's plus plumbing cement

Or if you know any plumbers ask them to pick it up for you, they may have a discount somewhere ;)

You need to buy 50mm waste to make sure it'll support your weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Depending on where you buy it €60-€80.
    Stuff like that costs a lot here, I hate reading US sites where they go on about getting stuff so cheap.

Could be cheap to make out of wood. Or visit a scrap yard if you can get it welded.

For €80 you could probably get a used power tower. That shamrock gym is €73 incl delivery http://www.shamrockgym.ie/

You can also use the lever type ones in doorways with a simple frame.

rubadub wrote: »
    Stuff like that costs a lot here, I hate reading US sites where they go on about getting stuff so cheap.

Could be cheap to make out of wood. Or visit a scrap yard if you can get it welded.

For €80 you could probably get a used power tower. That shamrock gym is €73 incl delivery http://www.shamrockgym.ie/

You can also use the lever type ones in doorways with a simple frame.

That 60-80 was made using Irish prices, in america you could probably pick the lot up for 30 dollars.

The Shamrock Gym looks good, I checked it out at the time. But I don't have a spare door frame in my shed and at the time I liked the idea of having a dip station that could be moved around ( or outside if the weather is good)

As I said though I went with gym rings and hung them from my pullup bar.

I'm still getting used to the rings, my form is crap and sometimes the ring dips are murder on my shoulders.

I'm still getting used to the rings, my form is crap and sometimes the ring dips are murder on my shoulders.
    They are really hard starting out. You can just practise the holding position, and try turning in the rings outwards for a moment & back again. Also negative dips are far easier, I find the most taxing part is going up again, which I know is normal, but with regular dips I do not find nearly such a difference in ratio of difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Played indoor football with a few lads from work lastnight. I'm well used to resistance training and jogging but it destroyed me! Average HR of 170 throughout the session and I have zero skin left on the balls of my feet :o

I'll get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Any photos ?

Here's mine, very solid. Do handstands on them too. Got the PVC pipe in Woodies. Was about 30 quid for everything I think.

Edit: sorry just copped your looking to make a dip station not paralettes.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Here's mine, very solid. Do handstands on them too. Got the PVC pipe in Woodies. Was about 30 quid for everything I think.

Edit: sorry just copped your looking to make a dip station not paralettes.

They look deadly !!! Did you use 40mm or 50mm waste?

They look deadly !!! Did you use 40mm or 50mm waste?

40mm. Bough one 3meter length of pipe and made both paralettes from it. Used glue to keep it all together. Don't waste your money on end caps for the ends you don't need then.

Here is one I made from a table (link at the bottom). This site lets you do little sketches which build up as you draw.

at the start you see the a black table frame, this was welded box section. I cut it at the points in red.

I then fliped it on its side, and got the green bar welded on.

The blue things were PVC tubes slipping over the box section, it could have been fat gripz, or towels or something.

It is really low so you have to bend your knees.

The bit in purple is an extra tube that can slot in the box section on both sides at the bottom and make it more stable

http://sketchtoy.com/35491673

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Anyone ever torn a meniscus?

jugger0 wrote: »

I think a lad I know had surgery on his meniscus and is in crutches atm. Not the nicest injury. Hardly happened to you?

Yep, both knees.

I think a lad I know had surgery on his meniscus and is in crutches atm. Not the nicest injury. Hardly happened to you?

My physio told me it wasnt but that was 3 weeks ago and its not any better... :( Not looking for medical advice by the way, i know boards.ie hate that... im just wanting to hear peoples symptoms/ cause of injury etc..
    Ant11 wrote: »
    Yep, both knees.

How'd ya do that? symptoms?

My physio told me it wasnt but that was 3 weeks ago and its not any better... :( Not looking for medical advice by the way, i know boards.ie hate that... im just wanting to hear peoples symptoms/ cause of injury etc..

Playing football, sprinting with very fast direction changes, ongoing injuries etc. if its only a slight tear you will be fine once the swelling has gone down but for me I had to get key hole to have some of it removed as my knee was locking in place. Your Physio obviously can advise best on course of action depending on your symptoms. Nothing will show up in x-ray, MRI is the only way to see what damage is done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ye see, this is the problem: By asking people for symptoms of a torn meniscus you're asking for reasons to doubt your physios diagnosis.

You physio is a medical professional, so you either have to believe them or try a different medical professional.

BTW the way there are many different ways to tear a meniscus and many different types of tear. So any info you could possibly glean could be useless and possibly detrimental. That why we don't allow questions such as this.

People should feel free to recommend physios but not actually answer the question asked.

Sorry.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Ye see, this is the problem: By asking people for symptoms of a torn meniscus you're asking for reasons to doubt your physios diagnosis.

You physio is a medical professional, so you either have to believe them or try a different medical professional.

BTW the way there are many different ways to tear a meniscus and many different types of tear. So any info you could possibly glean could be useless and possibly detrimental. That why we don't allow questions such as this.

People should feel free to recommend physios but not actually answer the question asked.

Sorry.

Lulz yeah just trying to put my mind at rest.. fookin knee..

Here's something to change the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

^^He clearly skips leg day.

^^He clearly skips leg day.

Do girls appreciate powerful thighs and a strong buttocks?

Can't speak for ALL girls but skinny legs and a decent sized chest/arms etc looks odd to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Do girls appreciate powerful thighs and a strong buttocks?
    It's ALL about the quads m'dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Lulz yeah just trying to put my mind at rest.. fookin knee..

Here's something to change the subject

That guy's an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What's the best sort of chin up bar to get?

Realistically I don't want to go drilling holes in my wall. So door mounted would be best.

It has to not collapse under my weight (about 100kg).

Shamrock gym ftw

http://www.shamrockgym.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

http://f1133473.wordpress.com/

Thought this was really interesting. Big strong guy gets sent to prison for 4 months with no weightroom. Improves his physique with only bodyweight exercises. He has a very detailed log of his workout routine/ diet and pics here. I'm probably going to Australia soon in search of work as a gym instructor/PT and was worried that I'd lose a load of strength during the 3 months of rural work. (I assume there's no gyms around the berry farms anyway!) Hopefully I'll be able to mimic this guy's results.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement