Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hose it down? Unless you meant filthy in a diseased sense. In which case hit it with a shovel.

Anyone else feeling completely drained and lethargic today? I was grand a while ago, I'm going to blame the weather.

Yes!!

But i've been cleaning out old sheds for the past week so i probably have leptospirosis!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lol you're just setting out your excuses for a bad session in advance! :P

lol you're just setting out your excuses for a bad session in advance! :P

projecting your anticipation of failure onto me Briano??

i hope there's some am "motivation" in the gym tonight

projecting your anticipation of failure onto me Briano??

i hope there's some am "motivation" in the gym tonight

Briano??? Nah I doubt there'll be any failure this week, its sets of 5's, nothing too heavy.

Gotta love motivation.... Man I should do some work, I'm going to have some curried cauliflower and a homemade burger and try to salvage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I'm so tired this week, the job is finally catching up with me. Don't know how the rest of you do it! Although its pay day tommorow so i may be feeling better then. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

O, i fell asleep today at work, one of the lads took a picture and i is now being blackmailed! Ahhh!!

Pay day makes everything worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Look what the cat dragged in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

O well... That was cold!

• Advertisement

they got rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

for anyone who's interested, ESPN America are showing highlights of the World Games this week
    The powerlifting competition is on Saturday and Sunday, and the highlights of these days are on Sunday at 5pm and Monday at 6pm. There will probably only be a few minutes on each show, but worth setting your Sky+ to record.

The bodybuilding competition was shown last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I got a 100kg front squat this week; bw holding firm @ 74kg. Step one of achieveing a three digit c&j achieved. Boo-yah.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Very very nice. I'm a way way off of that.

I deadlifted 115KG while away there recently. I'm sure some of you lot would laugh at that but I've never had enough weight to test what my limit was before. :) My grip was the limiting factor weirdly. Weight is around 65KG at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Khannie wrote: »
    My grip was the limiting factor weirdly. Weight is around 65KG at the moment.

I wouldn't have thought that weird at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

g'em wrote: »
    I got a 100kg front squat this week; bw holding firm @ 74kg. Step one of achieveing a three digit c&j achieved. Boo-yah.

That is impressive stuff, I am going to be honest you make me feel like a little bitch. This forum can both be inspiring and deflating at times.

Must get stronger grrrrr

I deadlifted 115KG while away there recently. I'm sure some of you lot would laugh at that but I've never had enough weight to test what my limit was before. :) My grip was the limiting factor weirdly. Weight is around 65KG at the moment.

Dude that's 1.75 times your bodyweight. That's pretty damn good. My best is 1.88 times bodyweight and I have been actively doing strength training since April.

Did you try a mixed grip?

On another note maybe some of you muck savages have already tried this. Banana on an omelette. Its savage. I was stuck for anything to add to an omelette the other night and the only thing in the house was a few bananas so I chopped one up threw it on when the omelette was finished, put the pan under the grill for a few mins to heat the top with the banana on. The result was a meal I will definitely have again.

I had a kipper omlette today......

Salty.
    Absolutly wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

That's impressive stuff. I got a 75kg front squat last monday. My wrists and arms were in bits after it.

If I nail 80kgs I'll be more then happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Double over-hand or mixed grip?

I can feel my grip slipping with double over-hand at 100kgs but if I use mixed grip at 125kgs which is my max I've no bother at all.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that weird at all.

I just wasn't expecting it at all. I was expecting my legs or back to buckle long before my grip did.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Dude that's 1.75 times your bodyweight. That's pretty damn good.

Thanks. :) Ah I was happy with it alright, especially as a first run.
    Did you try a mixed grip?

Honestly, I don't know what that is. :o Is that the one with one wrist facing forward and one backward? I saw a guy do that in a video on youtube before for deadlifting. I was gonna try it but it felt really awkward and I already had a lot of weight on the bar at that stage (I'll give it a lash for the first time with lower weight).

I've been meaning to google different grips. I tried the one where you hook your thumb in under your fingers (if that makes sense) but it just hurt my thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Well done G'em!

Honestly, I don't know what that is. :o Is that the one with one wrist facing forward and one backward? I saw a guy do that in a video on youtube before for deadlifting. I was gonna try it but it felt really awkward and I already had a lot of weight on the bar at that stage (I'll give it a lash for the first time with lower weight).
    Yeah that's a mixed grip. Most people (by most people I mean me...) find that the mixed grip is a lot more stable and less limiting. Chalk will help too and your grip letting you down is totally normal when your DL gets heavier. Good job on the lift though ;)
    Khannie wrote:
    I've been meaning to google different grips. I tried the one where you hook your thumb in under your fingers (if that makes sense) but it just hurt my thumb.
    That's a hook grip, usually used by weightlifters and not powerlifters. We use it because it allows for more solid flexibility when the bar comes beyond hip height and you need to get under the bar as opposed to staying over it.

I

Yeah that's the one, that grip along with chalk and I have zero grip problems.

Were you using chalk actually? If not I'd try that before mixing the grip.

I would like to use a double overhand grip (both palms facing me, the standard grip) but I cant do it for heavy weights, I get a really bad pain in the knuckle of my index finger on my left hand. Now that's weird.

Step one of achieveing a three digit c&j achieved. Boo-yah.

Can you briefly expand?
    Like What the other steps are?

Now that's weird.

Could be a touch of arthritis.
    Weirdo.

Can you briefly expand?
    Like What the other steps are?
    1. Front Squat 100kg
    2. Clean 100kg
    3. Jerk 100kg.
    4. Put 2. and 3. together :D

Could be a touch of arthritis.
    Weirdo.

Ah don't make me paranoid.

1. Front Squat 100kg
    2. Clean 100kg
    3. Jerk 100kg.
    4. Put 2. and 3. together :D

That is bad ass.

I had a kipper omlette today......

Salty.
    Absolutly wicked.

I haven't had kipper in years. We had this english friend of the family who used to stay with us when I was a kid and he had kippers for breakfast every morning and I used to love them (I would have been around 4-6 years old at the time). Where did you get it? And how did you cook them?

• Advertisement

I haven't had kipper in years. We had this english friend of the family who used to stay with us when I was a kid and he had kippers for breakfast every morning and I used to love them (I would have been around 4-6 years old at the time). Where did you get it? And how did you cook them?

My landlady had some in her freezer which got turned off by accident.
    I went up to help her and she gave me some and some meat cos otherwise it would all have gone off.

Im not sure where they got them. But they were from Union Hall in west cork so they must be available somewhere.

They don't actually need cooking.
    But 3 min under the grill will heat them up.
    I just stripped them off the skin cut them into chunks and dropped them onto the omlette when it was cooking.

It was bulletproof.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement