Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me help my mother

• 10-05-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

So, My mam has been on Lipotrim for 2 weeks now and iv tried hell and leather to make her realise how badly she is treating her body.

Her weight has gone from 9st7lbs to 12st7lbs. She had gotten into a routine where she ate and ate and got depressed and so ate more. Vicious circle. She stayed in a lot as a result as she didnt want to go to social settings with this weight on in fear of what people would think so its basically work, eat and stay in the house.

She decided to go on lipotrim to 'kickstart' her weight loss for 3 weeks. she did it for a week, lost 7lbs. that bank hol weekend she binged for 5 days.She cant live on 450kcals a day and the body detoxes itslef and does not need an unhealthy kickstart. I pointed out to her that this will happen and that she needs to change her relationship with food. She had a dependency on laxatives as a kid and im trying to tell her that she needs to talk to someone as her food issues then are just manifesting themselves through bingeing now and she keeps telling herself when 'i finish lipotrim (which is next weekend) that shel go back to WW and everything will be alright'.

She always asks my advice since im heavily in the fitness area. we have a fine set of free weights at home, a spin bike and a rower and iv taken her through routines, tried to take her out on nice walks on sunny days and iv given her dietary advice to follow and she will stick to it for a day or two and go right back to bingeing. (she constantly asks for this advice, i dont force it on her)

I want to make her realise that she needs to sort out her issues with food and weight or else nothing will ever change. I need to make her realise. we have had plenty of heart to hearts but she just ends up in the same rut. She keeps asking for help but i feel helpless because she just has deepened issues that have stayed with her and so she doesnt know how to behave with food. i dunno

Sorry for the long post. What iv posted is not the half of it.

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

As you've said yourself, her problem is not lack of knowledge about food, it's her relationship with it, and that's where she needs the help. At this stage, just cutting out the sugary junk and snacks will make a huge difference to her waistline.

Something that might be useful for her is the Paul McKenna self-hypnosis CD. His thing is to eat when you are hungry, eat what you want and enjoy your food, eat slowly, stop eating as soon as you are not hungry. Most people who binge eat are not even tasting the food, it's just a matter of having something to put in their mouths. Actually thinking about what you are eating can make a huge difference.

There are also groups for things like food addiction which might help.

In the short term, a good haircut and new colour, and a new flattering outfit is a great morale booster, so she'll be less inclined to hit the biscuit tin.

Advertisement