Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brownie 2a film question.

• 10-05-2009 7:57pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just cleaned up an old Brownie 2a box camera, everything's original and working bang on (well there's not a lot to them). It took just a little delicate lens and viewfinder cleaning. So all ready to go then?...eh no. Only realized it takes 116mm type film. The Brownie 2 took 120mm but the 2a takes 116mm.

Has anybody ever got over this problem successfully and what type of film would one recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

humberklog wrote: »
    Just cleaned up an old Brownie 2a box camera, everything's original and working bang on (well there's not a lot to them). It took just a little delicate lens and viewfinder cleaning. So all ready to go then?...eh no. Only realized it takes 116mm type film. The Brownie 2 took 120mm but the 2a takes 116mm.

Has anybody ever got over this problem successfully and what type of film would one recommend?

Here's a link ... http://www.geocities.com/brandonshahan/120spacer.html

116 reels are apparently bigger than 120 so you have to construct some sort of spacer to get the reel to fit. Or you can re-spool onto 116 reels if you have them. I've got an old brownie that takes 620 film. Similar problem only in reverse, the 620 reels are slightly smaller than 120 reels. Bit of sanding though and you're away. IIRC I used Delta 100 in mine to good effect. Only one shutter speed and aperture of course so you're limited in what you can do once you put the film in. They're fun to mess around with though.

465584754_2c3c87a115.jpg

457059634_08a4f98da3.jpg

457061868_4fbd792ec0.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah gonna try that thanks.
    I threw in some 35mm rolls. Two canister caps on either side of the film roll holds it perfectly central.
    The 2a has 3 aperture options and a manual open/release so that's two shutter speeds!icon10.gif It was high tech for 1931.

So I'm gonna run a few free 35mm's through it and see how it's cooking before splashing out on 120mm and making a mess of it.

I had another question re-developing of 35mm negs from this camera.
    I'm just going to throw them into a cheap pharmacy where they develop and cd 5 rolls for 8 quid.
    But can they put the rolls from this camera on CD as it's about 3 times longer in pic and takes up the full height too? Or will it only be good for scanning?
    I could ask in shop but they're not really 'with it'. They're cheap but not very intelligent (or careful) when it come to photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't think they'll be able to do it unfortunately, it's a medium format scanner you'll need - Oh, make sure you tell them NOT to cut the negs ;)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I don't think they'll be able to do it unfortunately, it's a medium format scanner you'll need - Oh, make sure you tell them NOT to cut the negs ;)

Yeah they leave them in the rolls. A medium format scanner eh?...Goes off to google that. It's only 35mm film I'm using though Fajitas.

• Advertisement

The 35mm one they'll have working will probably automatically crop to 35mm frames, if they don't know what they're doing! They other thing is, the image will be across the whole negative, including the sprockets, which can look fantastic.

The 35mm one they'll have working will probably automatically crop to 35mm frames, if they don't know what they're doing! They other thing is, the image will be across the whole negative, including the sprockets, which can look fantastic.

Yeah I know, which I'm looking forward too. I think you're right about the process in such shops being automatic and cropping to 35mm. Well it's still cheap for having them developed I suppose and the film's free too. (Which reminds me I'll be about tonw tomorrow with yours).

I think it'll be: torch,funnel and white blanket for a while going by the prices I just saw for one of those scanner gizmos.

Yeah they leave them in the rolls. A medium format scanner eh?...Goes off to google that. It's only 35mm film I'm using though Fajitas.

yeah, but the images will be much bigger than a normal 35mm image. I'm guessing the Brownie 2a is somewhere between 6x6 -> 6x9 frame size (or larger, don't know how wide 116 is) on 116 film. So each frame on the strip of 35mm will take up the entire width of the film, including the sprockets, and will be 6 -> 9 cm long or thereabouts. 35mm scanners will screw up trying to scan it, they presume a particular frame size for alignment to get each frame (8 sprockets per frame IIRC). The only way to get the entire frame including sprockets would be a medium format scanner. Any scanner that does 120 will do the job. I have a cheapo Canon 8600 to do my 120.

yeah, but the images will be much bigger than a normal 35mm image. I'm guessing the Brownie 2a is somewhere between 6x6 -> 6x9 frame size (or larger, don't know how wide 116 is) on 116 film. So each frame on the strip of 35mm will take up the entire width of the film, including the sprockets, and will be 6 -> 9 cm long or thereabouts. 35mm scanners will screw up trying to scan it, they presume a particular frame size for alignment to get each frame (8 sprockets per frame IIRC). The only way to get the entire frame including sprockets would be a medium format scanner. Any scanner that does 120 will do the job. I have a cheapo Canon 8600 to do my 120.
    Just how 'cheapo' is cheapo?

Still and all even when their system does crop to standard 35mm it let me see how the camera's working. Even if that's going to be without the full effect that I'm looking for.

Just how 'cheapo' is cheapo?

I see fajitas got in there before me :D

Actual frame size (from http://www.brownie-camera.com/56.shtml) is a whopping 2.5 x 4.25 inches which is about 6.35 cm x 10.75 cm. So on 35mm each shot is going to be almost 11cm long. That's cool :D

This looks like the (marginally) updated version of the one I have:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340262 . It's €159

When I say 'cheapo' I mean cheaper than my 35mm scanner, which cost me about €650 ...

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm fairly up on what size and effect it'll give...very excited too I might add. Curious too as to how effective the camera's working.

That's not too hectic a price.

It's the one in the centre of that pic. The Model C.

Sooooo, all going good (I think). first bunch of nega look as though there's no light leaks and the camera is exposing top notch.

Soooo I have an offer to get a box (100 rolls) of 100iso slide fuji film with the process paid for a tenner. Yep that 100 rolls with process paid for 100uiso slide film (colour) and as a tester I was given one roll gratis. I snapped away and popped it into fuji people on abbey street. They'll have it for me tommorrow afternoon....what then?
    Ok so I've shot the film across the length of 116mm, I've told fuji that I don't want the results mounted; just developed. Bt when I get them back I'm supposed to send the flicks to Holland (they're not rude, just family stuff etc.)
    The guy's gionna give me them beck tommorrow but I don't know how to send the pics via tinterweb. Can I just scan them from an ordianary bog standard scanner?

Any advice on how I can upload slide photos tat are now about 116mm in length and using (iso100) 35mm slide film onto a computerthingymebobbers then posting them onto a flickr site is greatly appreciated.
    Soo that's 35mm slide film used through a 116mm brownie, negs not mounted but being developed and left on the roll, that need to be posted on a flickr site.

Sooooo, all going good (I think). first bunch of nega look as though there's no light leaks and the camera is exposing top notch.

You're thinking right, I'm just trying to get the sprockets to scan on an older epson job... Someone thought scanners could be thrown about. Without locking the actual moving scanner inside it... :rolleyes:

They're quite sharp too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Use a flatbed scanner capable of scanning medium format film, as mentioned. Or pay for them to be scanned, but I reckon the scanner would pay for itself after not too many rolls.

So, you're getting 100 rolls with processing, all for a tenner? Or a tenner each (still not too bad a price)? Are these 35 mm or 120?

The Epson twain dosn't handle 120, I usually use a Canon for it... but no go atm :-/

I think you posted while I did :P I was suggesting humberklog buy a medium format flatbed.

Lol! Ah ok! I'm in process of scanning them for him!

The Epson twain dosn't handle 120, I usually use a Canon for it... but no go atm :-/

Its probably more likely an issue with the client software than the driver, TWAIN is pretty generic. Try vuescan to check. Failing that you'll have to scan them all in 35mm sized chunks and stitch them laboriously together I guess :D

And yes, I'm curious too, did you (HK) just spend 1000 euros on process paid slide film, or did you get the deal of a lifetime, 100 rolls for €10 ??!? I get the impression we've lost something in translation here.

But enough of this guff, I want results !

Its probably more likely an issue with the client software than the driver, TWAIN is pretty generic. Try vuescan to check. Failing that you'll have to scan them all in 35mm sized chunks and stitch them laboriously together I guess :D

And yes, I'm curious too, did you (HK) just spend 1000 euros on process paid slide film, or did you get the deal of a lifetime, 100 rolls for €10 ??!? I get the impression we've lost something in translation here.

But enough of this guff, I want results !

Indeed results are what's important.
    Well the ones Fajitas are working on are bog standard free fuji film iso200, 35mm ran through the box Brownie which is for 116mm film. When I got the negs done they looked ok, as in that the box looks light sealed and I didn't make a balls of extracting them from the camera and rolling them up. Grand job, so I asked Fajitas if he couild scan the results for me as I don't have any of the gear. iI'm intersted to know exactly how the aperture and sights are working but there's no rush Fajitas.

On the Slide film: It's iso100, process paid. I give the lady a tenner and she's going to give me all her stock of it (roughly 100 rolls, although this is just her guesstimate). Even if it's only twenty boxes for a tenner it's a very good deal (especially as the process is paid). I popped a roll into Abbey St and I've to pick it up at 4.30 today.

I've got a bog standard scanner at home. one of those printer/copier combos and was wondering if that well do for scanning slides.

• Advertisement

On the Slide film: It's iso100, process paid. I give the lady a tenner and she's going to give me all her stock of it (roughly 100 rolls, although this is just her guesstimate). Even if it's only twenty boxes for a tenner it's a very good deal (especially as the process is paid). I popped a roll into Abbey St and I've to pick it up at 4.30 today.

Nah, its probably really crap, tell you what, I'll give you €15 for the lot, I'm doing you a favour really, taking it off your hands for you :-)

You realise, that if its process paid, that the processing ALONE for 100 rolls is worth something between €650 and €850, right ? So yes, its a pretty good deal :eek:

Nah, its probably really crap, tell you what, I'll give you €15 for the lot, I'm doing you a favour really, taking it off your hands for you :-)

You realise, that if its process paid, that the processing ALONE for 100 rolls is worth something between €650 and €850, right ? So yes, its a pretty good deal :eek:

Yeah I know. It's a little out of date but it's not as though it remembers where it was when Kennedy was shot.

If it is a large quantity (I'll be finding out later in the week) I'll pass a few rolls around to those that want it. No worries. (If it's less than expecting I hog them all for myself though.

You got an amazing deal there! I'd probably shoot slide exclusively (for colour anyway) if the processing wasn't so damned expensive. You've got many, many fun hours of scanning ahead of you :P

Well I got the first roll of slide back from fuji on Abbey St. I was given one roll as a tester. Game ball, put the film in through the 116mm format, snapped away and then popped roll in...all for free. Just by holding them up to the light they look smart as.
    About three shots that were taken in very low light didn't come out, I was kinda expecting that as it is only 100iso. I've figured now that I can get 12 exposures off one roll (gotta put the film in in the darkroom as that gives an extra two that would be lost in light).

Now just gotta figure out these scanner things.

Hmm, 100 rolls all at the same speed might be sorta limiting. Do you reckon they'd push process if you asked?

Yeah I agree Mr. G it could get a bit boring, I generally prefer a faster ISO for general stuff. Mind you if it is that kind of quantity I'll pass around half of it off to whoever wants it. I won't know until next week either way. I've a few Ideas on what I want to do myself...long multile exposures over huge lenghts of film.

I wouldn't say there'd be a problem with the developers pushing it, I used fuji on Abbey St so they'd know what they were doing.

Yeah I agree Mr. G it could get a bit boring, I generally prefer a faster ISO for general stuff. Mind you if it is that kind of quantity I'll pass around half of it off to whoever wants it. I won't know until next week either way. I've a few Ideas on what I want to do myself...long multile exposures over huge lenghts of film.
    I wouldn't say there'd be a problem with the developers pushing it, I used fuji on Abbey St so they'd know what they were doing.

For something like the brownie I'd probably be more tempted to use print film anyway, much more latitude to mess around with. Although that 2a that you have has a certain degree of control given that it has those 3 aperture settings. I wouldn't put slide into my brownie for example (one f/stop, one shutter speed), the chances of nailing the correct exposure would be pretty slim.

For something like the brownie I'd probably be more tempted to use print film anyway, much more latitude to mess around with. Although that 2a that you have has a certain degree of control given that it has those 3 aperture settings. I wouldn't put slide into my brownie for example (one f/stop, one shutter speed), the chances of nailing the correct exposure would be pretty slim.
    Yeah I know now (after getting roll developed) where you're coming from DQ. I was surprised at the amount of light required. I've rechecked and realised that it was in fact 5 exp.'s that didn't come out and two were in daylight. Sure it was a dull day but even still. Mind you what I still have in mind for it is bright sunshine.

The iso200 seams to have come out very good. I still haven't seen the photographic results but simply by judging the quality of detail on the negs.

Yeah I know now (after getting roll developed) where you're coming from DQ. I was surprised at the amount of light required. I've rechecked and realised that it was in fact 5 exp.'s that didn't come out and two were in daylight. Sure it was a dull day but even still. Mind you what I still have in mind for it is bright sunshine.

The iso200 seams to have come out very good. I still haven't seen the photographic results but simply by judging the quality of detail on the negs.

Yeah I had the same problem with my little vivitar ultra wide and slim. Its f/11 @ 1/100s. 100asa film will do on about the sunniest days we get here during the summer. Otherwise its muddy and underexposed. 400 seems to come out best for most usage here, but 200 works in a pinch if its moderately ok, ie open skies with some sunshine.

• Advertisement

It's 35mm you're getting, or did I misunderstand you? Sure you could just reserve it for your other cameras with more exposure control if it is.

Advertisement