Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a summer job?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

I suppose now is the time to start looking for a job after the LC. How can you find where the available jobs are?

(I tried Jobs.ie but most jobs are for people who are older, experiences, etc)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

Hi!

Well when I was looking I went around the places I would like to work and asked them if they needed any summer staff. Most places require your CV.
    Im afraid to say there aren't many jobs going this summer, so you need to be quick!

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Summer jobs are so hard to get this year, just handing in cv's is going to be useless in most cases! At least have a word with the manager!

Try and see if any of your family know anyone who could get you anything for a few weeks or parttime even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It'll be tough, sure most will be gone by the time you finish your LC.

Multiple copies of your CV, a comfortable pair of shoes and hit every local business.
    Try to have a word with manager but pick a good time, not 5 minutes before closing when the tills have to counted. They might ignore but then they might get 10 or more people in every day looking for work so don't be offended.

I know from working at a hotel front desk it happens and managers are usually too busy to talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

yeah i'm currently on the same hunt for a job too...quite difficult in these times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi you could request work experience (unpaid) for say 2 weeks and then if you get on well in those 2 weeks they might take you on for the rest of the summer?
    If they dont take you on this summer as least you can put on your C.V. that you have some work experience which will stand to you next year....
    Good Luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Good idea dragonfly. I'm looking too. I regret not having a part time job last year now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

Thanks everyone,

I'm just done my CV. As I'm in 6th year I put in what subjects I'm doing and at what level.

Is it necessary to put in my JC results? (they were only average)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Tbh if people cant get a job with degrees id say its hard with your jc, i have a part time in retail and all we are getting is hour cuts.. Retail is not hiring sorry to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobscrewer

try nixers.ie they're a part-time job website, hopefully you'll find something. But I don't think any of us l.c-ers will have much luck in the job department! wouldn't it be great to be in transition year again:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

RECESSION....RECESSION.....RECESSION ;P;P

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I just left my job of 3 years for another one (i needed better pay and working hours if i wanna survive in Galway) and i was in over easter but i actually have no idea if i still have it because they were megga busy so i think they took on extra waitresses so im not sure if theyv hours for me. il be soo mad if iv left my 3 year job for 2 weeks at the new place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

I've got 2 jobs for myself this summer, one as an internet researcher and one as a forklift operator.
    The easiest way imo to get a job is for someone you know to put in a good word for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I'm working for my Dad during the summer - driving a luton body from Dublin to Cork and back Mon-Sat :(

Was offered a sales job in a firm my auntie works for but money with my Dad was better, and I can abuse my Dad over the CB :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

haloauto wrote: »
    I've got 2 jobs for myself this summer, one as an internet researcher and one as a forklift operator.
    The easiest way imo to get a job is for someone you know to put in a good word for you.

Could you give me some info on the internet researcher? PM me if you dont want to say it here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Signature wrote: »
    Thanks everyone,

I'm just done my CV. As I'm in 6th year I put in what subjects I'm doing and at what level.

Is it necessary to put in my JC results? (they were only average)

No, they won't read them. Business's are looking for people to pay absolute minimum wage to. That isn't a white wash, its basic business sense. They all want to cut costs.

Just hand in cv's at every shop.

9 times out of 10 these days they won't read them. Most employee's will bin for two reasons:

1) They don't want job competition
    2) The managers are not hiring
    Mr.S wrote: »
    if your in Dublin, the clubs/events organisers/radio stations are always looking for promotions people (thoes people that hand out flyers on the street)

They don't pay very well so becareful. However, if your driving them can be abit better on expenses.
    dragonfly! wrote: »
    Hi you could request work experience (unpaid) for say 2 weeks and then if you get on well in those 2 weeks they might take you on for the rest of the summer?

No, they want people to work and if you agree not to be paid it could stay that way.
    internet researcher

I did that one year. Depending on who you work for you start in June and get paid, at the earliest, in October. Its to do with taxes etc. Plus, you can only sit the exam once.

My Advice:

Drop your standards and apply to places you want to work in. Who cares if you work in McDonalds/Spar wahtever, its a job and you arn't on the dole queue.

Be prepared not to work every day, jobs are scarce and employers won't always give you full time work.

Email some employers aswell, sometimes you get a reply.

Don't expect €100 a day. Chances are you will be on minimum wage and taxed to high heaven.

And SAVE what you earn! :rolleyes:

Advertisement