Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fox for sale...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Certainly illegal. Couldn't believe the person was so stupid to print their number.
    This was on the I.S.P.C.A's website!

"Wildlife in Ireland is protected by a piece of legislation known as the Wildlife Act, 1976 as amended. The purpose of this legislation is the conservation of the wildlife ( flora and fauna (including game).The Act is very comprehensive and covers many specific methods of hunting an trapping an animal or bird, protecting what are known as protected wild animals and birds.

In the main any breaches or suspected breaches of this Act should be reported to the Gardaí who may take steps towards prosecuting such offences."

Of course if it' s an exotic fox then thats a whole different ballgame ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not illegal to keep a Fox. They are not a protected species as such (although there are laws around the ways in which they may be killed). Trading in them may be a different matter and I'd have to look that one up but I suspect it's not illegal. Sundew, you would need to read the Wildlife Act a bit more. Not all wildlife are protected equally: Fox Hunting, Duck hunting, Fishing, "Vermin"...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

(although there are laws around the ways in which they may be killed).
    Those laws must not be upheld very well then.. To me it seems foxes suffer all kinds of brutal deaths much too often in this country (more than any animal, and likely just because they have the word vermin fixed on them) and nothing seems to be changing... Poisoning, wounding, public abuse. People can do what they like to them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

500 euro the trend will be to dig out cubs next and start selling them.Foxes dont make good pets.i have in the past been involved in fox rescue in the uk.I feel so sorry for the fox and all the abuse and horrific torture it goes through ,

• Advertisement

Not illegal to keep a Fox

Yes I know. I should have made that clear. I have fed foxes myself who use to visit our garden.
    Much fun was had sitting at the kitchen window watching the fox come into eat a plate of dogfood which was left out for him :D

I don't have a problem with the animal been tamed by people but trying to
    sell the animal!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I think we need to distinguish between what is illegal and what we find to be morally unacceptable. Certainly I find it repulsive for someone to sell a Fox like that but it is not illegal as some stated earlier. I deplore coursing but others consider it sport.
    Hendrix: The laws are upheld when the crime is properly reported. I was involved 2 years ago in having a prosecution brought against a group of people for digging a Vixen out of her den. I have reported breaches of the laws surrounding the laying of poisons and the culprits were fined. Do something about injustices rather than moan about them. Report all this cruelty you seem to be aware of. Join wildlife groups who campaign for changes to the law every year. Of course Foxes have had a rough time in some quarters but many people care about them and enjoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

It's wrong wether or not it's legal. At least you can phione them and give them your opinion?
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

fennec fox or vulpes vulpes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Digging foxes isn't illegal as far as I know. Could you demonstrate where it is given as such?

Also, as far as I know, trading in wild animals, protected or not, requires a licence to do so. If someone were to purchase a fox from someone without a licence to sell it, both would be guilty of an offence.

• Advertisement

Digging foxes isn't illegal as far as I know. Could you demonstrate where it is given as such?.

Where I was involved with the digging out of a den the ruling was "The fox is not a protected species but the manner in which these men are killing foxes is illegal and considered cruelty to animals." Because of privacy reasons I'm not going into any further detail but the facts of the case stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Where I was involved with the digging out of a den the ruling was "The fox is not a protected species but the manner in which these men are killing foxes is illegal and considered cruelty to animals." Because of privacy reasons I'm not going into any further detail but the facts of the case stand.

Fair enough. However, the method of dispatch is what's in question there. If a person digs down and uses a firearm to humanely dispatch the animals, then I see no problem. If they use an inhumane method, that's a different story. Therefore the dispatch method is in question, not the digging.

Advertisement