Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Area

Options
  • 10-05-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I need help.... I have a very small green area ( could fit about 4 cars) outside my house. Its the only green area on our street. All the kids on the street ( even though they live at the very far end of the road) use this for ball games which means they constantly hit our car and spend all day screaming outside our house.
    Its a private road (not local authority) can I put a stop to this...
    Please help before my blood pressure goes through the roof!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Of course you can if it is your private property.

Ask them nicely not to play on your garden.
    If that dosen't work, call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Thanks but you see here lies the problem, the green area is actually just outside my garden, but on the other side of the footpath.

Is there any rules anyone is aware of about balls games in residential areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

kids will be kids, it's not your property and gardai IF they come will just warn them off and wont come out if you call them again. Why not just ask kids to play at certain times. Count yourself lucky they are;nt breaking windows and abusing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

But they ARE abusive when asked to keep it down, this area is 10 feet from my living room window and both mine and the neighbours band new bmw are being destroyed with the slithers.... sorry forgot to mention that.. that they insist on using to playing hurling and use my car as the goals...

Im at breaking point.... my poor little car has dents in 3 places!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DAWNRISER wrote: »
    Thanks but you see here lies the problem, the green area is actually just outside my garden, but on the other side of the footpath.

Unfortunately- its public property- so you have no say over and above the say other locals have on its use.
    Is there any rules anyone is aware of about balls games in residential areas?

Some areas have specific designations which preclude ballgames or other recreational activities (think of sanctuaries, SACs etc). These do not tend to be in residential areas. You could petition to have the area planted or something- which would make playing ball difficult, if not impossible- this is probably your best course of action. If you were sensible about how you approached the issue- it could be made to seem like a positive development for the neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

But they ARE abusive when asked to keep it down, this area is 10 feet from my living room window and both mine and the neighbours band new bmw are being destroyed with the slithers.... sorry forgot to mention that.. that they insist on using to playing hurling and use my car as the goals...

Im at breaking point.... my poor little car has dents in 3 places!!!

This isn't on. If you approach the parents- it is akin to declaring war on the kids though- and some of the parents can be even more belligerent than their kids...... Do you have a gate and a wall around your garden? If not- would you consider one? Our how about a net (you can get wind break nets cheap). Hell- perhaps the kids might see it as a challenge- rather than your car. Maybe you can come up something inventive to focus their attentions elsewhere. Never underestimate the effects of reverse psychology......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plant a shubbary or two in the middle: local **** did it where I lived many years ago, and it forced us to play ball elsewhere.

Advertisement