Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint account question

Options
  • 10-05-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. I have a joint current account. Its flagged as repayable to either. Do i need the other persons signature to remove my name from the account? It was originally a sole account that i added my name onto.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes. Although you might find that some branches/banks won't let you remove your name, the account will have to be closed off altogether. Is the account the only joint account you have, and is it linked to any other accounts either sole or joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Its not linked to any of my accounts, that joint account is only one i have in that bank but the other person would have sole saving and current account there too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well if that's the case, then they may just accept a letter with both signatures on it, requesting that your name be removed from the account. Either way, I'd give the branch a call to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

I tried to do this with AIB but the account(s) held had to be closed completely and signed authority given by both account holders to do so and also to authorise the transfer of funds into the new account in the sole name.

If there are any direct debits or standing orders on the joint these should also be cancelled.

thanks guys.

• Advertisement

Long delay i know but I rather than starting new thread:

Still looking to get this closed, other person is being stupid about it and wont sign the form needed.

I spoke with branch account is held in, they say they cant do anything without both sigs on the form, Is there anything else i can do? they wont suspend the account. I'm concerned because other person has cheque book and laser/guarentee card on account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Reading betwen the lines I think this is part of a larger problem,
    I suggest you consult a solicitor if you can't get this sorted before it becomes a bigger problem.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I suggest you consult a solicitor if you can't get this sorted before it becomes a bigger problem.

I sorted out the larger problems you correctly spotted, this was just suppose to be the final thing to sort and close off but now she's digging heels in one final time. Spent enough on solicitors so far was hoping the banks would have a way to close off without the grief!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

In my case it was joint /either acc., I instructed the bank to cease activity on the acc. this had the desired effect.

Advertisement