Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any people who are finding it hard to enjoy this F1 season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I`m going to stick my neck on the line and say I dont think we will ever see F1 turn into a big overtaking fest that you see at grass route levels.

Wouldn't be so sure about that :pac:

KERS!!

http://gizmodo.com/5151641/formula-1-cars-getting-electric-hyperspeed-jumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanj2408

thebman wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a second. So why is Barichello not flying off into the distance with Button?

Isn't it possible that Button is a great driver that was stuck in underperforming teams for the past few years and previous to that was a rookie F1 driver with no experience?

Thats exactly it. You could see how frustrated Button was getting with Honda over the last couple of years, now he's getting to show what he can do.

Might I remind you that Schumacher won his last race at the age of 37 and nobody thought he was past it so Barrichello just isn't in the same league as Button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

infairness schumacher was an exception not the rule!!! barrichello isnt anywhere near as gud as he was couple of yrs ago . i think we all hav diffrent ideas on "greatness" for me a great f1 driver is someone we will talk about forever, who can still pull a win out of nowhere and can get themselves out of a "frustrating suitation" im sorry but i dont see what is great about doing nothing for 8yr. you can blame his cars all you like but at the end of the day if you talanted enough you will get urself out of it. and lets not forget he would hav been out of a drive this season if honda hadnt agreed to sell the team to brawn for £1 or whatever it was, you hav to question why not even 1 team boss on the grid didnt think he was worth keeping and they cant all hav been wrong. can you ever imagine that ever happening to senna or schumacher who i would consider great f1 drivers. or even alonso or hamilton who arent great yet. i think button is a very good driver but his nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There are contracts to consider. If McLaren had been banned from this year for cheating, Lewis would have had no drive. Would that make him crap? You can't use circumstances to bash a driver. Button is a very smooth driver, you can't argue with that. Brundle says it, and he knows infinitely more about the sport than you or I do. He may be a little biased, but he's not a bullsh!tter.
    No one here is saying Button is the greatest driver of all time, but he has learned lessons from being at the back that Hamilton needs to learn, he's mature and smooth and quick enough to deserve his wins when he takes them. No matter how good a car is it won't drive itself.
    He'll probably win this year's championship, and he deserves it no question.
    And Jaques wasn't a patch on his father! :D

Biro wrote: »
    There are contracts to consider. If McLaren had been banned from this year for cheating, Lewis would have had no drive. Would that make him crap? You can't use circumstances to bash a driver. Button is a very smooth driver, you can't argue with that. Brundle says it, and he knows infinitely more about the sport than you or I do. He may be a little biased, but he's not a bullsh!tter.
    No one here is saying Button is the greatest driver of all time, but he has learned lessons from being at the back that Hamilton needs to learn, he's mature and smooth and quick enough to deserve his wins when he takes them. No matter how good a car is it won't drive itself.
    He'll probably win this year's championship, and he deserves it no question.
    And Jaques wasn't a patch on his father! :D

listen im not bashing him i just dont think he is a"great" driver, ive never rated him and he hasnt done anything to make me think other wise just because im not jumping on the bangwagon doesnt mean im wrong!! or that i dont think in some ways he doesnt deserve this title all im saying is some people hav called him a great driver on here (maybe not you) but i think thats an insult to true greats, even the crap car down a grid still need to be driven! as for villenuve i totaly agree with you he wasnt a patch on his father and just goes to prove my point that the rookie excuse used for buttons failures is as lame as the poor thing stuck in a crap car for his entire career. as for honda they didnt go bust over night every one knew for months they were pulling the plug and if maclaren was in that position i gurantee every team boss on the grid would be trying to sign hamilton because his talent is plain to see. as for contracts there is ways around them. ive 10 times more time for button that i do for hamilton but im not going to pretend his better dan hamilton just because i prefer him, brundle has a good knowlege of the sport but he has never said a bad word against any of the british drivers so his biased opinoin means nothing really. brundle has spent last 12 odd yr watching the races like the rest of us b4 dat he might aswell hav been at home watching ive more value in coulthards opinion than his and definatly the 9 team bosses who didnt think button was better than what they already had. ive always thought button was a good "smooth" driver but that alone doesnt make you a worthy world champion there is alot of those drivers out there, even hill another "smooth" driver fought for his world championship and was there or there about the previous 2 seasons, but as ive said all season button isnt my no1 choice for world champion but when he does ill be the first to say well done because i wouldnt begrude anyone a driver title. i judge drivers on their talents not who is the nicest outa d car. at the end of the day we all hav our own opinions and that why we come on here to discuss them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I have literally no inkling what is written in your two previous posts.

if you havnt anything to add to the discussion why post:confused: even if you dont understand my point a view its pretty obvious from the lads post were talking about jenson button. were not all going to agree on everything all the time and there has been plenty of post on here i didnt agree with, i always post my view and if they still dont agree with me im adult enough to respect their view, and id hope they would respect my views aswell. anyway lads im off on my holidays enjoy the british grand prix, i hope i dont miss anything :D

No, I mean I just can't read it, there's no punctuation. :)

• Advertisement

gees didnt realise my old english teacher was on here, sorry sir:D
    goodnite ive an early flight to catch:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Lewis Hamilton:
    The two greatest things about racing at Silverstone are the fans and the track itself. It’s great to see and meet people from all across the country and the world who have made the journey to Silverstone for the Santander British Grand Prix. When I’m in the car, I can actually see the fans around the circuit waving banners and cheering. It’s as if they were racing every lap with me - incredible! Driving the track is incredible too. I love Silverstone - it’s an amazing place to drive. Copse, Becketts and Bridge are all absolutely fantastic, flat-out corners that really show you the power and grip of a Formula One car. It’s a perfect place for the race, so let’s hope it’s not the last time we race at this track

God I fing hate the c***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

riemann wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton:

God I fing hate the c***

I wonder could he see me at the end of the Hangar straight giving him the two fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ah yes, the British GP. I hate this race. Not because of the circuit or the driving. Purely because it's always trumped up by the commentators/pundits on TV. ITV were so annoying and I get the distinct impression that Beeb aren't going to be any better.

All this nonsense they spout every year, you'd swear there were only British Drivers & Teams involved. Even when talking about Ferrari, they'll big up the fact that the guy who holds out the pit board during the race is a brit.

Then when they start spouting about the British racing "tradition", how it is unrivalled and other blah. Makes me sick.

I'm not even anti-british, but this is just too much!

Ah yes, the British GP. I hate this race. Not because of the circuit or the driving. Purely because it's always trumped up by the commentators/pundits on TV. ITV were so annoying and I get the distinct impression that Beeb aren't going to be any better.

All this nonsense they spout every year, you'd swear there were only British Drivers & Teams involved. Even when talking about Ferrari, they'll big up the fact that the guy who holds out the pit board during the race is a brit.

Then when they start spouting about the British racing "tradition", how it is unrivalled and other blah. Makes me sick.

I'm not even anti-british, but this is just too much!

It's probably the last ever race at one of the most historic circuits, and one that all the drivers love. It's got incredible history, and given that it's a circuit that is being fcked over to suit Bernie, then it's also a good example of what's going wrong with the governance of the sport. The BBC have done a great job on all the circuits at every race. Whatever they show, I'm looking forward to their coverage. And yes, the brits have reason to be proud of their tradition and contribution, whether you like it or not. It's not all patriotic hyperbole.

It's official - all the existing teams bar Williams and Force India have announced plans to set up a breakaway series.

And the FIA, still not backing down over the budget cap proposals, have threatened legal action over this.

An unhappy Alonso believes Formula 1 is "finished" while the BBC's Theo Leggett gives a good explanation as to why the future of the sport may spin out of control:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8109670.stm

And here are some more reactions to this breakaway threat:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108945.stm

I can't see this not shadowing what takes place on the track at Silverstone this weekend - and I don't think there's any question that it's left a significant stain on the whole 2009 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Crap.

I think Mosley will step down if that is the problem. There can't be a break away series. The sport will fall apart and they will all lose their money so I hope they see sense.

If there is a break away series then I'll be watching the one with most of the current teams most likely.

A split will be good fo nobody though.

I said that I couldn't see the breakaway threat not shadowing what took place at Silverstone this weekend - and I'd be surprised if I was proved wrong because it was another boring race.

For once, Button and Brawn didn't win, but Vettel is the only other winner so far this season, and the gap between Brawn/Red Bull and the other eight teams remains fairly big...

Ferrari did bring both cars home in the points, but in the lower positions, and McLaren finished with zilch again, as did Renault and BMW Sauber.

And with still no end in sight for the off-track troubles, enjoyment of this season remains hard to come by for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

another boring race.

Yip. Did anyone in the top 10 overtake another driver? Cant remember one.

At this rate I hope the breakaway goes ahead. Im getting sick of the same predictable races every week. When someone says to me how do i watch this ****e I dont have an answer. Dunno how much more I can take of this.

The missus had painted the kitchen this morning as well, "autumn haze" would have been a thing of beauty to see it drying at full tilt.

Well, it appears that a resolution to the budget cap row has finally been found:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8116756.stm

Whatever the views are on this and the end of the breakaway threat, I'm sure most people will be glad to see Mosley go.

But this does not mean that now I'll find the 2009 season enjoyable - there's still the matter of races still being very processional despite all the changes made, and Brawn and Red Bull being quite some way ahead of the rest of the field.

• Advertisement

brawn and red bull are quite abit ahead of the rest which is fine if we were seeing a battle between them. but its either button running away with the race or vettel their not battleing each other. so the end result is the same another snooze fest:(. would luv to see vettel win nxt 2 races and button retire just to close up the championship. the we will see what button is made of.

The problem is not the drivers - the cars are still too subject to aero performance.
    Again, if max hadn't been so down on mechanical grip, the situation wouldn't arise and we'd have had exciting racing during the first part of the decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

The problem is not the drivers - the cars are still too subject to aero performance.
    Again, if max hadn't been so down on mechanical grip, the situation wouldn't arise and we'd have had exciting racing during the first part of the decade.
    +1

Look at the last few laps of this years British GP for hard evidence. Button chasing Rosberg, but once he got within that magical 0.800 of a second, no hope in hell of jumping him unless the car was KERS equipped. New downforce and aero regulations and diffusers and all that get rid of the possibility of slipstreaming or tailgating, which was the best way of slingshotting past the driver in front. Now theres sweet f**kall overtaking, and its pretty much all down to fuel and pitstop strategies.

So to cut a long argument short, does anybody actually want Max in charge anymore? Anyone at all? (other than Max of course).

Because reading his statements on crash.net he seems like he has really lost the plot and should probably be removed from his position.

I thinks what Max's problem is, is that he has his own idea where F1 should go, and its either his way or the highway. IMO its a good idea to introduce a budget cap, but its impossible to go from having none at all to one of £40 million. Stagger the introduction of it over a few years 150, 100, 70, 40 maybe i dont know, but i just think Max was getting a bit ahead of himself.

Red Storm wrote: »
    +1

Look at the last few laps of this years British GP for hard evidence. Button chasing Rosberg, but once he got within that magical 0.800 of a second, no hope in hell of jumping him unless the car was KERS equipped. New downforce and aero regulations and diffusers and all that get rid of the possibility of slipstreaming or tailgating, which was the best way of slingshotting past the driver in front. Now theres sweet f**kall overtaking, and its pretty much all down to fuel and pitstop strategies.

Yeah they need to solve this soon, as far as i know bridgestone are talking about making the front tyres smaller because their is so much grip now they are using slicks, I think this could make the problem worse because the cars will loose downforce and have less grip from the tyres! I hope they test this properly before they decide to go ahead with it.

By the way you can still slipstream but have no grip in the corners :mad:

I dont get why teams that know they wont qualify at the front dont work on this in the wind tunnels and develop front wings that dont loose so much grip when following in turbulent air. I guess its easier said than done! Fixing this issue is where they should be spending money not on kers!

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah they need to solve this soon, as far as i know bridgestone are talking about making the front tyres smaller because their is so much grip now they are using slicks, I think this could make the problem worse because the cars will loose downforce and have less grip from the tyres! I hope they test this properly before they decide to go ahead with it.

By the way you can still slipstream but have no grip in the corners :mad:

I dont get why teams that know they wont qualify at the front dont work on this in the wind tunnels and develop front wings that dont loose so much grip when following in turbulent air. I guess its easier said than done! Fixing this issue is where they should be spending money not on kers!
    Aye no grip thanks to those damn diffusers coughing out turbulent air. The Bridgestone idea may work, but since they have the monopoly in F1 they can do pretty much whatever they want without too much trouble. Time for a Michelin return methinks. Or Goodyear, or maybe Pirelli or Continental could step in.

Red Storm wrote: »
    Aye no grip thanks to those damn diffusers coughing out turbulent air. The Bridgestone idea may work, but since they have the monopoly in F1 they can do pretty much whatever they want without too much trouble. Time for a Michelin return methinks. Or Goodyear, or maybe Pirelli or Continental could step in.

Well they wont be able to change the size of the wheels without the FIA/FOTA(who makes the rules now :pac:) say so.

Aye true that, but they've no competition from other tire manufacturers who may have better ideas..

• Advertisement

It's not just the diffusers though, it's the whole surface of the car, the wings, the exhaust, the sidepods, the wheels all produce turbulent air. And this wouldn't be a problem if the car behind wasn't so dependent on being in clean air to get grip.

It's not just the diffusers though, it's the whole surface of the car, the wings, the exhaust, the sidepods, the wheels all produce turbulent air. And this wouldn't be a problem if the car behind wasn't so dependent on being in clean air to get grip.
    Dont worry Flavio is going to fix it :pac:

An only slightly more exciting race at the New Nurburgring this weekend, with Mark Webber finally taking his first F1 victory.

It wasn't the greatest weekend for Brawn, but they and Red Bull are still the top two teams by a long way - after all, they filled the first four grid positions in qualifying, while in the Drivers' Championship, fifth-placed Massa still only has half as many points as fourth-placed Barrichello.

Massa came up from eighth to third in the race, but Raikkonen didn't finish, while McLaren had another weekend to forget more than remember - they could have picked up many more points than the solitary one for Kovalainen's eighth place had it not been for Hamilton's puncture (which I'm sure pleased many).

BMW Sauber once again failed to score, while Renault needed a charge by Alonso from 12th to seventh to avoid going the same way.

Still not really enjoying this season...

PS - Even though the Nurburgring as it is has been in use since 1984, I still call it the New Nurburgring to distinguish it from the classic Nurburgring used until 1976, when Niki Lauda nearly lost his life in a fiery crash.

Still not really enjoying this season...

Then why are you still watching it?

Formula 1 by it's nature will never have the level of overtaking as a spec series, even one as high level as GP2.

Many people look at the good old days of F1 with rose tinted glasses and think how much better things used to be. In my view F1 is as good now as it always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TBH watching a lot of the old races on BBC there's very little going on in a helluva lot of races.

It also helps that modern drivers are alot less gun-ho (bar Piquet :) ) than the drivers of the past. You see less suicide moves and thus less big crashes. Plus the tracks are alot tamer and dont punish mistakes (which is something I would like see reversed). But modern F1 being as good as it was in the 70`s and 80`s hmmm I would have to disagree but thats why we have this forum!

Dunno about that, think Hamiltons move yesterday was a bit of a suicide move and he got what was coming to him!

I reckon people 20 odd years from now are going to look at the Schumacher era of F1 as some kind of a Golden Period and they'll sit around saying "You don't get drivers like that any more" etc. Rose tinted glasses again.

Just out of curiosity are you looking at the 70's / 80's from memory (if so you're older than I thought!) or from seeing highlights?

I have a few of the of the Duke season review videos and any season can be made to look more exciting when you're only looking at highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

F1 is a sport that tends to change with the times. In recent times, I for one have lost count of the amount of rule changes.
    While I do not agree with most of them, we still have an evolving sport.
    Back in the 70's & 80's, there were suicide moves and crashes, yes, but alas things are a lot safer now and hence less crashes. The aero packages also hinder the passing (which has been discussed here somewhere also), so that makes for rather boring procession type races too.
    I think that the "new" F1 era - post Shumi domination - is for the better.
    I didn't agree with the rule changes when they came in - mainly 'cause they were designed to stop single team/man domination, which it did. I have to look at it now though and say that the changes are for the better - hence a new team like Brawn leading the C.Ship.
    On the other hand, we will never see the full potential of a car if there is a finance cap put on development.
    F1 should be the best of the best in every area of the sport - Drivers, team engineers and car development. You need lots of money for all that and if the teams and sponsors are willing to part with the cash - so be it.
    Roll on the next race.

smooch71 wrote: »
    Then why are you still watching it?

In the increasingly vain hope that there will be a seriously good race in which Ferrari, McLaren and the other big guns completely brush Brawn and Red Bull aside, and blow the Drivers' and Constructors' championships wide open?
    Plus the tracks are alot tamer and dont punish mistakes (which is something I would like see reversed).

Totally agree.

If it weren't for the FIA's supposed needs for absolute safety and bringing speeds down, we might not have the majority of new circuits being largely dull (like Valencia), or not-very-good revisions being made to long-standing tracks (like the elimination of the long straights through the woods at Hockenheim, or the alteration of the Bus Stop chicane at Spa).

In the increasingly vain hope that there will be a seriously good race in which Ferrari, McLaren and the other big guns completely brush Brawn and Red Bull aside, and blow the Drivers' and Constructors' championships wide open?

You rarely get any season where there's more than two teams or two drivers fighting for the championship. As a Ferrari fan it pisses me off that currently they're not one of them.

But surely Red Bull, Vettel and Webber have done exactly as you say, blown both championships wide open and revealed a chink in the Brawn armour.

Most people I talk to seem to think it's a refreshing chnge to see two different teams slugging it out.

Totally agree.

If it weren't for the FIA's supposed needs for absolute safety and bringing speeds down, we might not have the majority of new circuits being largely dull (like Valencia), or not-very-good revisions being made to long-standing tracks (like the elimination of the long straights through the woods at Hockenheim, or the alteration of the Bus Stop chicane at Spa).
    Why is it only good if Ferrari or McLaren win?
    Even if they do it wont blow the championship wide open.

I think the season could turn out pretty well, im really looking foward ro the red bull fight back, and i wouldnt bet against webber ending up champion.

Obviously i really hope normal services are resumed nxt season as i watch f1 to see the best driver battled it out , in an ideal world it would be hamilton or alonso or the 2 ferraris fighting it out. But if we get a decent battle till the end of the season id cope with button v the red bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ike the elimination of the long straights through the woods at Hockenheim, or the alteration of the Bus Stop chicane at Spa

The revamp of Hockenheim wasn't just bad for the track, it's prestige and the idea of racing fast cars, but it was a criminal move. The designer (who's name escapes me but IIRC this wasn't his only contribution to motorsport) should have been shot. Even worse, whoever signed on the dotted line and went with it should follow suit!

I hope to god this new Formula1 game they're working on lets us race on legacy tracks. Hockenheim of ye olde times was stunning. It holds a place in my heart because as a youngin' it was the first track I saw F1 on, and I've been in love with it ever since.

The revamp of Hockenheim wasn't just bad for the track, it's prestige and the idea of racing fast cars, but it was a criminal move. The designer (who's name escapes me but IIRC this wasn't his only contribution to motorsport) should have been shot. Even worse, whoever signed on the dotted line and went with it should follow suit!

That designer's name is Hermann Tilke.

Another circuit he made considerably less stunning was the Osterreichring in Austria, which in its seven years of hosting the Austrian GP as the A1-Ring (1997 to 2003) produced very little excitement, the best known event during this time being Ferrari ordering Barrichello to let Schumacher past at the very end in 2002.

He is also responsible for most of the new circuits that have popped up since 1999 - the majority of which are, as I said earlier, largely dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm enjoying the season. Its the first year I've watched it with Sky + so I'm able to record it and watch it at my leisure, whereas last year I didn't get to see most of the races as Sundays were taken up doing family things.

Anyway this year is good, I'm enjoying the BBC coverage and think Jake Humphreys is doing a good job. Eddie Jordan annoys me a bit but I think DCs contributions are pretty good. The whole show is well structured, good bit of interesting stuff in the build up, and no ad breaks is great. Leggard is the weak point, although initially I preferred him to James Allen, and I think I still do tbh. But he needs to extend himself a little. Its affecting the normally excellent Brundle.

To the season itself, well it was more the shock of seeing Button do so well and the others do so badly that made it more interesting at first. The first few races were all about that. Having had no particular driver to follow since Villeneuve left, it was nice to have another angle to the whole thing. Just as the novelty of Button winning was about to get stale, in walked Red Bull. And if McLaren stage a mid season comeback, never mind Ferrari, then it might get more interesting.

Not sure if Brawn have the resources now to do much mid-season development, unlike the other huge teams, and that'll bring the season to the likes of Hamilton and Massa. Not that they'll win the WDC, more that they could take points away from Button and the other leaders by virtue of just doing well in the race and posting an occasional win.

Williams too in their own quiet way will pose a threat, is it too much to predict a late season win for Rosberg?

It'll be sad to see refuelling going next year so we should enjoy it while it lasts. Although I do remember bemoaning the fact that they re-introduced refuelling back in the late 90s (or whenever it was). I think the racing is closer, the overtaking isn't great but its good when the whole field is seperated by only a few seconds.

I'm enjoying the season. Its the first year I've watched it with Sky + so I'm able to record it and watch it at my leisure, whereas last year I didn't get to see most of the races as Sundays were taken up doing family things.

Anyway this year is good, I'm enjoying the BBC coverage and think Jake Humphreys is doing a good job. Eddie Jordan annoys me a bit but I think DCs contributions are pretty good. The whole show is well structured, good bit of interesting stuff in the build up, and no ad breaks is great. Leggard is the weak point, although initially I preferred him to James Allen, and I think I still do tbh. But he needs to extend himself a little. Its affecting the normally excellent Brundle.

To the season itself, well it was more the shock of seeing Button do so well and the others do so badly that made it more interesting at first. The first few races were all about that. Having had no particular driver to follow since Villeneuve left, it was nice to have another angle to the whole thing. Just as the novelty of Button winning was about to get stale, in walked Red Bull. And if McLaren stage a mid season comeback, never mind Ferrari, then it might get more interesting.

Not sure if Brawn have the resources now to do much mid-season development, unlike the other huge teams, and that'll bring the season to the likes of Hamilton and Massa. Not that they'll win the WDC, more that they could take points away from Button and the other leaders by virtue of just doing well in the race and posting an occasional win.

Williams too in their own quiet way will pose a threat, is it too much to predict a late season win for Rosberg?

It'll be sad to see refuelling going next year so we should enjoy it while it lasts. Although I do remember bemoaning the fact that they re-introduced refuelling back in the late 90s (or whenever it was). I think the racing is closer, the overtaking isn't great but its good when the whole field is seperated by only a few seconds.

You don't mention anything about what has taken place away from the track, which as I said earlier could have left a stain on this season - surely you couldn't have been impressed by that?

As for the Beeb's coverage, I think it's quite good too, but IMO ex-Eurosport Ben Edwards would be better alongside Brundle. Not tremendously sure about Lee McKenzie's approach either, but Ted Kravitz is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

i cant think of anything id hate more than to sit down and watch a full gran prix. i know they drive at tremendous speed but in fairness they should be able to drive the course at that speed after driving round it 60 odd times. what a truly boring sport. i think its up there along side cricket and tennis.

joeduggan wrote: »
    i cant think of anything id hate more than to sit down and watch a full gran prix. i know they drive at tremendous speed but in fairness they should be able to drive the course at that speed after driving round it 60 odd times. what a truly boring sport. i think its up there along side cricket and tennis.

Boy did you enter the right forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

far from it lightning. i love rallying and most other motorsports . but i LOATH gran prix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I enjoy watching the various rallying programmes, but they are highlights. F1 is live, so what you see is what you get, unless the TV director misses something. As a TV spectacle, they cannot be compared.

Hopefully, the refuelling ban will just force some drivers to try and overtake next season. If Rubens had forced his way past Massa in Germany, he might not have had reason to throw a hissy-fit afterwards.

You should watch the BBC's "chosen" grand prix of old - this year's is the 1989 Hungary, where James Hunt starts the commentary with "Hopefully we'll see some competition for the McLarens here, as it's all been a bit processional for the last 1 or 2 years".

Processional races with insurmountable performance gaps are nothing new in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

You should watch the BBC's "chosen" grand prix of old - this year's is the 1989 Hungary, where James Hunt starts the commentary with "Hopefully we'll see some competition for the McLarens here, as it's all been a bit processional for the last 1 or 2 years".

Processional races with insurmountable performance gaps are nothing new in the sport.

+1. Some people also seem to think that banning refuelling is going to change everything. Well they're going to be disappointed. Not every race from back in the day was exciting, there was plenty of processional crap too. People seem to have selective memories

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement