Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any people who are finding it hard to enjoy this F1 season?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    No I don't know what would work for him, I thought he would do better in the Ferrari after a few races at least get into the top 10. The sooner Massa is back the better.
    Stayin at Force India would have worked for him tbh, and i think on some level he'll regret the Ferrari move. That said, its always been pretty much an open secret for years that he want to race for Ferrari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yeah in hindsight it was a mistake, he would have done well in the Force India for the last few races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Both Kimi and Massa took a few races to get used to this year's Ferrari, and they had pre-season testing in it. Fisi's doing about as good a job as you can with a poor car that's a git to drive that isn't being developed when he's spent the whole year driving a completely different setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its clear that for Fisi, its the lack of testing and he can't get time to get familiar with the car at a test track.

You can say he has done a few races but really each track is different and requires different setup, no constant track with ability to try different things on different days and see do they work.

I liked having no hate figure and being able to want both drivers challenging for title to win.

I also liked BBC's coverage except for that lethard crap guy or whatever he's name is. He just annoys me. All the rest of them seem to have personalities, he seems to just be an arse.

Button deserved it but part of me wanted to see Barichello to win if only to see EJ's reaction and Barichello himself. Reckon they would have gone mental :D

The car is good enough to walk 3rd in constructors if Massa didn't get injured. I don't blame Fisi i just thought he would do a little better i wasn't expecting miracles or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The car is good enough to walk 3rd in constructors if Massa didn't get injured. I don't blame Fisi i just thought he would do a little better i wasn't expecting miracles or anything.

Agree I was expecting more from him but what can ya do?

I do think its a pity he won't have a drive next year. Think he'll be faster than drivers on the grid next year :(

thebman wrote: »
    Agree I was expecting more from him but what can ya do?

I do think its a pity he won't have a drive next year. Think he'll be faster than drivers on the grid next year :(

I think he knew he was leaving Force India next year and wasn't sure he could get a drive somewhere else so it was probably good to have the test driver role to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

thebman wrote: »
    I also liked BBC's coverage except for that lethard crap guy or whatever he's name is. He just annoys me. All the rest of them seem to have personalities, he seems to just be an arse.

He's not proving any more popular than James Allen, is he?

Jake Humphrey has done a very good job as presenter, though, despite most people doubting him before the season got underway, while Lee McKenzie has definitely improved after those first few races, where warmth and looseness weren't immediately evident - and I quite liked the moment yesterday where she kissed Button after his success.

Brundle is as brilliant as ever, as is Ted Kravitz, while EJ and DC have more than proved their worth as analysts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

To be honest it is about time to see the backs of a few drivers including Fisi and Hopefully Trulli... Taking up good seats if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I'd rather have Fisi and/or Trulli than Grosjean, Nakajima and Alguersari. Jesus i'd nearly take Luca Badoer over Grosjean...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Red Storm wrote: »
    I'd rather have Fisi and/or Trulli than Grosjean, Nakajima and Alguersari. Jesus i'd nearly take Luca Badoer over Grosjean...

That's why you're not running a Formula 1 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Red Storm wrote: »

It is one thing knowing a *Bad choice* of a new driver..Simply replace him.. But guys this long in the sport going nowhere..!!!
    Dump them... they have had more than a chance :rolleyes:

Well, it was perhaps appropriate that the top 4 in this year's Drivers' Championship should take the first four places in the season curtain at Abu Dhabi.

It was another fairly uneventful race apart from Webber's holding off of Button for second, and Hamilton's unexpected misfortune, which of course Vettel capitalised on to take his fourth win of 2009 and secure the runner-up spot in the Championship. And I don't disagree that he and Red Bull could have been the champions had it not been for bad luck, particularly in Australia and Brazil...

Kobayashi put in an impressive drive in the Toyota for sixth place and his first points in only his second GP, while Heidfeld ensured BMW Sauber went out on something of a high, with his fifth place enabling them to leapfrog Williams into sixth in the Constructors' Championship. The battle for third between McLaren and Ferrari ended in a bit of an anticlimax, though, with Kovalainen, Raikkonen and Fisichella all finishing outside the top 10 to go with Hamilton's retirement.

And so, that is that. In terms of racing, the second half of this season was definitely more enjoyable than the first half, but I maintain that overall it has been a bitter year, especially with all the off-track troubles. There was the attempt to introduce a controversial new system for the Drivers' Championship, there was the rear diffuser issue, there was Renault Crashgate and, of course, there was the breakaway threat, all of which attracted more than their fair share of attention. Certainly, the breakaway threat cast something of a shadow around mid-season.

Hopefully, though, 2010 will be enjoyable throughout, with the refuelling ban changing the complexion of the racing for the better and little or no domination of any part of the season by one driver or team, and new FIA president Jean Todt bringing a fresh approach ensuring that there is a lot less bickering away from the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

And so, that is that. In terms of racing, the second half of this season was definitely more enjoyable than the first half, but I maintain that overall it has been a bitter year, especially with all the off-track troubles. There was the attempt to introduce a controversial new system for the Drivers' Championship, there was the rear diffuser issue, there was Renault Crashgate and, of course, there was the breakaway threat, all of which attracted more than their fair share of attention. Certainly, the breakaway threat cast something of a shadow around mid-season.

Hopefully, though, 2010 will be enjoyable throughout, with the refuelling ban changing the complexion of the racing for the better and little or no domination of any part of the season by one driver or team, and new FIA president Jean Todt bringing a fresh approach ensuring that there is a lot less bickering away from the track.

Did anyone really worry about a breakaway series and let it cast a shadow over some of the season? It was never going to happen.

I really, really don't see how getting rid of refuelling can improve the on-track action. Yes it probably makes the racing fairer, but that usually involves more boring racing.

amacachi wrote: »
    Did anyone really worry about a breakaway series and let it cast a shadow over some of the season? It was never going to happen.

I really, really don't see how getting rid of refuelling can improve the on-track action. Yes it probably makes the racing fairer, but that usually involves more boring racing.

Even if the breakaway series wasn't going to happen, the threat of it still wasn't good for the sport - though it did lead to Mosley agreeing to stand down as FIA president, and that more or less pleased most people.

And we'll just have to wait until next season gets underway to see what ditching the refuelling will actually do to the on-track action...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If the breakaway had happened, then all the off-track "detractions" you speak about would have ended due to no Max N Bernie show.

As to the season, like I posted before, if this doesn't keep you happy, I don't know what will. A season of the "standard 2" trading grid-order wins for the duration of the season while any team on a budget of less than 400million looks on in impotent time wasting? A return to the "golden age" when teams lugged their 2-year old customer cars all the way over the globe only to fail to "pre-qualify" and the leaders had a 2 second a lap speed advantage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Harvey, why do you continue to bump this thread all the time? The original purpose of the thread has been served yet you seem to want to have your very own thread for some weird reason. Everything you are talking about right now already has a dedicated thread be it the subject of Toyota leaving, Renault possibly leaving, discussions of individual GP's and end of season discussion. I suggest you use the appropriate threads in future.

Could one of the mods please lock this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

In fairness Cartoon Head is right. This thread was started back in May after a run of Button victories that did make it 'hard to enjoy this F1 season'. Since then we've had the slump of Button, return of McLaren and many other perks that made it a good season to watch so I think this thread is outdated now. New threads for current F1 discussion. I say lock it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Ficus wrote: »
    If people want it locked then so be it but i think it still is serving a purpose on discussion of the past seasons racing.

Is that not what the end of season F1 discussion thread is for?

This has just become a blog / soap box for Go Harvey Go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Allows the odd rant about the various concerns of onlookers... it's the old old thing.. if you don't like or don't want, then don't participate... and leave the rest of the contributors to ...well, contribute

It seems to have a sizeable number of posts...

The season overall has given a different aspect to F1 the dynamics of aerodynamics, the foibles and follies in the choice of drivers, the mis-management of the drivers and reporting the incidents and finally, the pursuit of the contract free drivers.... or even the non pursuit ..... some pricing themselves out of a job and the freebies seeking to invest in another team... from all aspects the action, the politics and the new faces made it a different season and something to enjoy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement