Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for sporty sunglasses?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

My Oakleys are looking a bit worse for wear so time for a new pair. When it comes to glasses I simply gotta try them on before I buy - so buying online is out of the question.

With regards to buying sporty shaped sunglasses (full frame, plastic - pref Oakley (yes im a brand snob when it comes to shades)) where is the best place to look? Apart from Great Outdoors/River Deep is there any decent shops? I know i'll be paying a huge mark-up for last seasons models, but it's one thing I won't buy online

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You should really consider buying online. I got my last two pairs of Oakleys online and saved an absolute packet. I tried them on first in River Deep and Brown Thomas, once I knew what I was happy with I just made note of the style and type and purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah good thinking (see the thread on Born!) and might actually do that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've recently bought a pair of Oakleys from Collette Kelly Opticians in middle street, I'm waiting on them to come back from oakley as I need prescription lenses.

Vision express also do a small selection of oakleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The Optician beside the Augustinian Church does a decent range of Oakleys. I wouldn't be pushed buying online either did it before and i wouldn't do it again.Even if you buy the exact same model there is nearly always a slight variation in fit enough to make them less comfortable and not look as good.If you spending its best to buy them in an optician.
    I wouldn't go Oakley either brands like Maui Jim and Serengeti are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    My Oakleys are looking a bit worse for wear so time for a new pair. When it comes to glasses I simply gotta try them on before I buy - so buying online is out of the question.

With regards to buying sporty shaped sunglasses (full frame, plastic - pref Oakley (yes im a brand snob when it comes to shades)) where is the best place to look? Apart from Great Outdoors/River Deep is there any decent shops? I know i'll be paying a huge mark-up for last seasons models, but it's one thing I won't buy online

Cheers folks

Snob! :p

Buy a decent pair of polaroids - will help you see those rocks under the water when you're driving the boat... long as yer not going too fast of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

JohnCleary wrote: »

Cheers folks

If you want a good Quality Brand which is strong and Duarable as well as Stylish then Forget Oakley's, Gatorz are becoming the rage here in this part of the world, If you want more info PM me and I'll try to get you the brochures, there is probably an agent in Galway too, but i'll need to make a few calls

mayotom

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have 2 pairs of Oakleys - including Thumps !. You will pay a huge premium buying in Galway rather than online. Both of mine were about 30% of Galway price.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have 2 pairs of Oakleys - including Thumps !. You will pay a huge premium buying in Galway rather than online. Both of mine were about 30% of Galway price.

Crikey! I wish I knew what model my current pair are - I love them but they're knackered (the frames aswell as the lenses) - Searched loads of products online last night but couldn't find them (yes, they're real before anyone thinks of being smart!)

I should take a pic and upload it maybe someone might know what model they are. I'm sure they're discontinued at this stage (they're 3 years old) but i love the design of them - they suit my face

Oakley constantly change the range which is really annoying. If you look on the rubber ear pieces you should see the model name then google it.

Oakley frames are nice but Rayban's G15 lenses are superb.

Only rubber on the nose bridge place.

All it says on the arm is the usual CE Made in USA, then beside the screw "2 R" on the right and "1 L" on the left. nothing else :(

Fcuk wish I never threw out the box - can remember the model was on the box at the time :( Think they were bought in River Deep (bought as present) - might chance my arm and go in for a look when I get back to Galway

• Advertisement

Usually there is usual CE etc on one arm & the model name on the other arm in really small writing. Or look on Oakley site & other retailers.

Thanks for the tip will take another look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

John, have you heard of sea specs? They're basically a rip off of Oakleys' Waterjackets. Same frame, lesser quality lense, but still pretty good quality polarised. They're quite popular with skiers, kayakers etc. I used buy a lot of them, and sell them.

seaspecs.com

I know you said you wouldn't buy online, but they're exactly the same look and shape as waterjackets, so if you've tried them, then you know what they're like.
    Fifty bucks a set, and if you buy two pairs, you get one free, with free shipping.

Or if you want I think I've a pair or two still knocking around (new ones) I'd be willing to part with. Can't remember what colours.

WP: Thanks a lot for the offer lad, but I want these for recreational use, getting myself proper goggles for the powerboating

Don't think they'd look all that well walking down Shop St in :D

Advertisement