Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from History and Heritage forum

Options
  • 10-05-2009 8:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I got banned from the H & H forum a few weeks ago for calling another user a retard. I think a ban was fair enough for what was a pretty stupid thing to say by myself, but a permanant ban is just a nonsense - in my view from an overzealous moderator (BossArky). BossArky has ignored at least two PMs I sent him. Maybe this is because I called him something along the lines of a powertripping mod (With harsh language landing me a profile infraction) upon learning I was permanantly banned, but to be fair thats exactly what he is, a permanant ban is ludicrous.

Can somebody please look into this fairly please and compel BossArky to explain himself, because its not fair for him to brush this under the carpet.

Now I'm off to what remains of this sunny day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This is your second ban from there isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

So? I seem to have picked up a lot of infractions, at least half of them being nonsense. In fairness, the user whom I called a retard was really provoking me both times I got banned (The first time was for a week) and both times he got away scott free.

A hearty thank you to all the moderators who had the courage to take on this abuse of power. Really, well done. Smashing job.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Denerick wrote: »
    So? I seem to have picked up a lot of infractions, at least half of them being nonsense. In fairness, the user whom I called a retard was really provoking me both times I got banned.

Instead of engaging with the other user, did you report his comments if they were in breach of the charter?

Of course I didn't, that would smack of being a little tell tale twat. This is the internet, people should be prepared to get as good as they give. I tried to contact the mod who banned me though, he seems to have been ignoring my PMs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You probably should apologise for your initial behaviour and abusing the mod. It's easy to see why he wouldn't be inclined to let you back if you were abisive, no? It's a bit like going into a pub, getting kicked out by the staff, going back, getting barred for something else and then abusing the staff.

If you do that, you wouldn't expect to be allowed back into the pub ever again, would you? It's no different here. The way you treat other people on this site has a big impact on how long you stay around for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Denerick wrote: »
    Of course I didn't, that would smack of being a little tell tale twat.

Or, just helping to keep a forum running smoothly.
    This is the internet, people should be prepared to get as good as they give.

A lot of the internet is like that.
    However, (as Hulla stated above) on Boards, we like people to behave like they would if they were chatting to us in a pub.

I actually have apologised for my initial behaviour and several times and recognise that I deserved some sort of ban, but I think trying to justify a permanant ban stretched credulity somewhat.

So is this been taken seriously or been brushed off as per usual? Does no-one else think a permaban is absurd?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's being looked into. I'll have an answer by this evening for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

First ban: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59353695&postcount=35

First ban thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055500474

Second ban: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59935612&postcount=26

Second ban thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59935612#post59935612

You then continue insulting people:

1) the mod who banned you i.e. me:
    denerick wrote:
    Go **** yourself you powertripping prick
    on 22-04-2009, 16:48 via PM

2) You then followed up with further insults to McArmalite in a PM to me on 03-05-2009, 23:53:
    denerick wrote:
    a permanant ban for calling a retard a retard?

3) You then imply that my manners are lacking via PM on 09-05-2009, 19:29:
    denerick wrote:
    Why have you not responded to me? At least have the manners to let me know if your not going to change your mind so I can bring it up at helpdesk

Ironic that you should accuse people of lacking manners based upon the abuse you have aimed at others outlined above.

It seems the idea of not insulting people is not getting through to you. The bans are both related to insulting the same poster. The penny still hasn’t dropped second time around.

Regarding your comment that I am on a powertrip: apart from the fact that I did my impartial job as a moderator (tidying up junk and getting rid of abusive posts) I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion. I replied to your thread in the Fitness forum “would feel silly in the gym” : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532697&highlight=denerick

This was after your first ban, so I hardly hold some kind of grudge against you.

This is the sum total of my interaction with you. If you have further info you would like to contribute please do with quotes and links.

Moderators generally are impartial and could not care less what posters write as long as contributors formulate an argument without resorting to childish abuse. Your behaviour is a liability to the H&H forum: insulting and inflammatory. Discussions can get heated enough without people resorting to insults and name calling.

Your behaviour shows you cannot interact with people without insulting them. I don’t see anything to suggest remorse for what went before. You are still insulting McArmalite in PMs to me, and offered no apology to myself.

These are the facts from an impartial moderation view point. I couldn’t care less what a random keyboard warrior calls me from the safety of a web connection. However, it does worry me that you keep on at the other poster even thought you’ve been banned twice for abusing them. If you were a moderator trying to keep the peace then you would see yourself as a liability too. Think about that for a while.

Are you really surprised you did not get a reply to such PM drivel? Moderators have zero interest in engaging in 1 on 1 PM tit for tat abuse. Moderators try keep the peace so this site remains a productive resource and forums grow through healthy discussion.

Are you really expecting the H&H forum to welcome you back after your behaviour?

Good selective quoting there. Look, if you had have shown PM no. 2 and 3 in full then we would have had a fairer discussion, but you obviously pinpoint the one incriminating sentance in a pretty fair pair of PMs. I have apologised to you, but I'm pretty sure you've ignored it along the way.

Just in case my apologies seemed ingenuine, I'll say it again. I'm sorry to Bossarky for resorting to personal abuse after hearing I got a permanant ban for an off hand remark. I am sorry to Mc Armalite for resorting to calling him a retard.

I don't think its fair that I got a permanant ban, and I stand by the accusation of calling you a powertripping mod, because thats exactly what a permanant ban for an offhand remark makes you. Its ludicrous. Again, I fully accept that I deserved a ban for my remark, but a permanant ban is completely unfair considering some of the posts I've made on that forum. its not like I'm some troublesome troll who was picking a fight, I was been provocated by an extreme Republican, and frankly, was faced with a gross amount of ignorance in an incoherent manner. The charge of 'retard' seemed appropriate, if a little unpleasant.

There's plenty of threads on the H and H forum where I've written quite a bit for, and didn't lose my temper. A permanant ban is extremely unfair. I'm not even looking for a general amnesty or anything, just a fairer ban. Even 6 months or whatever is understandable, but a permanant ban for an OFFHAND comment is absolutely fecking barmy.

P.S- Please show Pm no. 2 and no. 3. Its not nice to ignore people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Selective quoting? No, just factual quotes.

I asked you in the previous post to provide your own quotes on anything you would like to discuss here.

The quotes above illustrate how you behave towards others. It does not make it any less insulting if it is surrounded by another sentence or two.

FYI your abusive PM was passed along to the appropriate people when they initially came through on April 22nd.
    denerick wrote:
    I stand by the accusation of calling you a powertripping mod, because thats exactly what a permanant ban for an offhand remark makes you.

No powertripping mod here, just a janitor cleaning up the rubbish.

This was your second ban for insulting the same person you have already been banned for insulting previously.

Whilst you are digging up those full PMs you may as well post details of the apology you sent McArmalite and myself.

I don't remember anything coming through and it is not in my PM inbox.

BossArky wrote: »
    Whilst you are digging up those full PMs you may as well post details of the apology you sent McArmalite and myself.

I don't remember anything coming through and it is not in my PM inbox.

Your right actually, I don't think I did apologise to you for my outburst but did apologise the first time round. Unfortunately since I was banned I could not apologise to Mc Armalite on the H and H forum.

Again, all I'm asking is for you to reconsider the permanant ban. I've apologised, I'm sorry and I don't think its fair I've been banned permanantly. Its not like I'm a troll, I've written on many of the threads on that forum. Will you please reconsider?

Ok. I am fine with you coming back to H&H.

The caveat is that you apologise to the user for the bits and pieces which earned you the ban, once you get back onto the forum.

The ban will last 1 month from the original date of April 22nd, so PM me on May 22nd.

This is your final warning. Please regulate your behaviour towards others.

Thank you.

Unfortunately this story did not have a happy ending for Denerick who lasted approximately 2 weeks before being banned from H&H again.

This is what I would consider trolling by a mod.

I asked to be banned after facing a barrage of insults and personal attacks from both moderators and forum users, who seemingly either ignored what I typed or who simply couldn't understand it.

BossArky, please do not seek attention and troll on boards.ie.

Advertisement