Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam in the Postbox (inc. Alive!)

Options
  • 10-05-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Just a bit of a rant from me to get some feedback of other people as well..

I live in Dublin in a 6 Apartment House in an Estate Area. And as everybody else I'm greeted in the evening by a colourful mailbox that offers me about everything but V*agra & new kitchen sinks.
    Ok, on second though, forget about the sinks, I think they were offered.

Now I don't mind the Dominos & Chinese Take A-Way leaflets that much cause I use them, but what bugs me is the constant asking if I would want to sell my property, advertisement of the apparently 500 taxi services serving my area and of course the great free 'Newspaper' Alive!

I must say, two of our neighbours have 'no spam mail' stickers on their postboxes & after watching this a while I can't say I've noticed a difference between the cr*p in theirs and the one in mine.

And about that 'newspaper' mentioned above, I was considering putting a sticker on my postbox saying:
    'No religious propaganda please,
    I can worship without destroying natural resources'

I thought that would sit better with my neighbours then the 'No religious propaganda - residents are devil worshippers' that a friend of mine suggested... :D

I know that in the UK there's some kind of national register that you can get put on & that saves you from spam. Is there anything like this here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It is quite ridiculous the amount that comes in but what can you do? My mother but a no junk mail sticker on her door around 4 years ago before it was this bad, she still got junk mail, once while she was home it came in and she went out after the person who left it in giving out and handing it back.

Mind the culprit said they were just doing their job, they had to do it! I dont think there is any register, I heard once of someone who started to mail back to the companies if it had a freepost address, i.e. eircom or a large company like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Stick it in an envelope and post it back, don't put a stamp on it....

As for the taxi's ring and order a taxi, when they arrive give them the flyer and tell them to stop putting them through your postbox. (there's a good chance that'll backfire in a weeks time when you need a taxi).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

One of the worst culprits is An Post, a large part of their business now is leaflets. They deliver loads of junk to my place and a loads of bills also. Only good stuff I get from them is from the Freebie List makes up for the junk:D

My folks have a no junk mail notice up and it made a bit of a difference. I've an Aunt in Switzerland and you get a sticker from the post office stating what you want, you can pick from having no junk mail/flyers and/or no free papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Del2005 wrote: »
    My folks have a no junk mail notice up and it made a bit of a difference. I've an Aunt in Switzerland and you get a sticker from the post office stating what you want, you can pick from having no junk mail/flyers and/or no free papers.

I was just about to mention the Swiss thing :) There's something like an "Addressee only" sticker as well, which means they can only put in things that have a name on them, so anything to "The Householder" or whatever can't go in. It seems to be law there though, but not here (then again, they also have laws about what time you can shower at!). I've never heard of a law about here, so I think Del that your parents just have a decent postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

My folks have the sign up and the junk mail has been reduced considerably.

The only junk mail they got now is from the postman. They have confronted him \ her about it and he told them he \ she was just doing there job. The postman makes about 1c to 3c every leaflet drop he \she does while doing the normal post.

My dad has started dropping it back down to the sorting office now, they live quiet close so it’s handy enough.

Over the last few months I’ve started to save all mine up. I then simply pick one of the companies who has sent me some junk mail, get a big A4 envelope and shove it all in and post it back to them without a stamp marking it URGENT. I also include a nice cover sheet stating "Congratulations you are this months winner of my junk mail - see how you like it!".

I know it doesn’t solve anything but it gives me some solace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used to deliver this stuff. As per above, used to get between 0.5p and 5p per leaflet/shampoo sample. The "no junk mail" usually did the trick, but as some lads doing it these days seem to be foreigners, as well as the young locals, they may not understand what the notice says.

"No junk" symbolism for the win?

Advertisement