Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negligence or not

• 10-05-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Had a cow with red water today she was in fairly bad shape when i was checking them. Rang the vet to come out, he arrived out round 1. Again this stage she was so bad the vet could drive up to her and give her 4 injection in the field, he said she would need a blood transfusion. Crush was in the same field so no bother putting in some cows took abou 3-4 mins. Next thing just before we close the gate on the cattle vet says il be back in an hour have to make 2 other calls. After an hour cow cant even get up ring the vet and he says he'll be back in a few mins. An hour after this the cow is almost fully streched out ring the vet again he says on the last call will be back in min. Cow dies round 4.30, vet ring a few mins later and says he on his way tell him the story and he says that a pity and hang up. Should the vet not have stay until the he had done the tranfusion as the cattle were as good as ready. What really vexed me was the way the vet was on the phone after, wont be getting there services again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

wait till you get the bill!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

viztopia wrote: »
    wait till you get the bill!!
    ya i know paid 1200 for her 6 months ago now about 200 more to get rid of her and what it cost to winter her. just wondering was the vet negligent in not giving the blood tranfusion while he was there at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I would certainly be well p***ed off if my vet pulled a stunt like that. I would not pay him either. You are taking a big loss because the vet did not prioritize your animal. Cruelty on the vets part also to let the cow die like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Calls should prioritized on need.
    Now this may have meant his other two calls got cancelled or delayed but what harm if it's something routine that can be done tomorrow.

Looks like billing two other people came ahead of your case.
    And for that, I wouldn't pay him though you'll be getting a few nasty letters over the next few weeks over it demanding payment.

If he couldn't come back for three and half hours he could at least told you and you could have called another vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

He didn't provide a satisfactory service, End of ...

He didn't kill the animal either so I don't think you have grounds for compensation but if he hassles you for payment then tell him you intend to follow him for neglicence to the veteninary council (or board) this should deter him somewhat
    You could always consult IFA Advisor or legal advise

CS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

so you will get his bill and have to pay the knackery !!! not good ... a simple phone call by him could have saved your animal - you could have called another vet if you knew he was going to be so long - i wouldnt pay his bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Maybe you needed to be a bit more firm with the guy i.e. get back here or else. Sounds like a bit of a chancer to be honest. What other calls could have been more critical than the one he had in hand at that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've seen a few vets recently with a lack of people skills (ignorant), but also lacking an understanding of their relationship with the client/animal. They must understand that an animal is an investment and generator of income to the farmer, and no matter how much money they make (alot), they have a responsibility to the client they should never ignore. I'd be raging, and looking for another vet tbh. Unless he's always been decent before. Then it may be harsh. Still wouldn't pay him for the call out though.

Advertisement