Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Ferries

• 10-05-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has traveled with Irish Ferries from/to Dublin-Holyhead. How long does it take in general and any idea what the closest airports to Holyhead are?

Also, is there passport control on boarding from either direction or is there passport control only on arrival or neither?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Shekamu

I took the car on the Johnathan Swift fastcraft a few weeks back out of Dublin port. Around 2 hours. Very civilized compared to the slower boats that take 4-ish hours to do the run. No real formal passport control but I did get stopped and had the boot of my car searched in Holyhead on the way back.

Re airports - and i take it you mean commercial airports - Liverpool is prob the closest one to Holyhead. Manchester also. There is an airfield in Holyhead but I guess that only covers private aircraft.

Sounds like you could be up to somethin' dodgy . . . be careful my friend . . . be very very careful !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

why dont you just google Irish Ferrles or Stena?

Bizarre first post altogether...why would anyone want an airport near the ferry port? theres an airport in Dublin nowadays....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an airport on Anglesey with a service to Cardiff. That is its only service.

Irish Ferries have a 'fast' craft which does the crossing in about 2 hours (nearly sure it used to be faster...) and a slightly newer, much bigger and more comfortable 'cruise' ferry that takes about 3 and a half hours. They rarely run at the same time these days so its more a case of taking whichever is best departure time wise for you.

In all my crossings there has *never* been passport control or security checks in Dublin - there isn't even a security check area to pass through before the checkin gate. On leaving, you drive straight out - was once stopped at a Dept. of Agriculture checkpoint here (in 2001!) but never since. Had the car searched once or twice in Holyhead but never asked for ID. Legally you need no ID to do a land/sea crossing anyway. There is the possibility of security checks both ways in Holyhead, but Dublin bound seems more frequent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

garbanzo wrote: »
    There is an airfield in Holyhead but I guess that only covers private aircraft.

It's RAF Valley. http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.252736,-4.526453&spn=0.038205,0.111237&t=h&z=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shekamu

Thanks for the responses.

My wife's planning to fly because she gets motion sickness and I've gotta bring the car over but my passport would be a couple of days expired. I guess any other ID would be okay then.

I still think Liverpool is out of the way. I guess she could just use any of London's airports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a UK or Irish citizen doesnt NEED to carry a passport , any form of photo ID would do. The airlines I believe insist on a passport mostly. Maybe not all though, worth checking as it would be cheaper and easier for you both to fly and hire a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Personally I would do Dun Laoghaire to holyhead with Stenaline, that takes about 1hour 45. If you are picking your wife up from the airport then what about Rosslare to pembroke and pick her up from Cardiff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Coming from the UK it makes more sense to drop her at any airport with flights to Ireland, then drive on to Holyhead and meet her in Dublin. She might have to hang around Dublin a bit while you catch up, but you get stuck having to drive all the way to Holyhead . . .

Alternatively you could leave a couple of hours ahead of her and be there before her.

There's no airport anywhere near Holyhead with flights to Ireland - that's for sure. About the nearest would be Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham or Doncaster.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Personally I would do Dun Laoghaire to holyhead with Stenaline, that takes about 1hour 45. If you are picking your wife up from the airport then what about Rosslare to pembroke and pick her up from Cardiff?

Unless you live southside, you spend more time fighting your way to DL than the extra ten minutes Irish Ferries Swift takes and IF are usually cheaper than Stena too... I've used it the odd time when its just been the most convenient time wise but thats all.

Advertisement