Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT issues in Raheny

Options
  • 10-05-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Was just down with the folks in Raheny and their broadband was up and down like a whore's you know what!

Anyone else suffering in the area?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I know some areas in Raheny suffer from bad quality lines, but up and down? Maybe contention problems? I dont think BT have an uncontended service on the Coolock exchange (which serves most users in Raheny).

Guess who does..........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you do any checks? Are they using wireless? What are their line stats and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Rorser wrote: »
    I know some areas in Raheny suffer from bad quality lines, but up and down? Maybe contention problems? I dont think BT have an uncontended service on the Coolock exchange (which serves most users in Raheny).

Guess who does..........

who who???

Dont say magnet because I have them and I do suffer from congestion, between 10-15% during peak hours... sometimes a bit more

Bohrio wrote: »
    who who???

Dont say magnet because I have them and I do suffer from congestion, between 10-15% during peak hours... sometimes a bit more

Where did you get 10-15% from?

Where did you get 10-15% from?

Well if it is uncontented I should be getting 100% of my bandwidth all the time, 24/7, removing overhead and giving it a small margin for error I test the connection using several methods/sites and compare the results.

There is no problem really as I am aware that there is nothing they can do as is not economically viable for an ISP to give a real uncontented service on a residential line without incurring on excesive costs, so I am pretty happy with the service, I still believe that is the best in Ireland, even if it is not uncontented

I do think that is a bit misleading when an ISP, such as Smart or Magnet, say they offer an uncontented service when there are only two ways they can offer one, either by limiting the amount of customers per exchange/node to the maximum their GigE's can cope with or by, well, that's about it.

I am a bit curious to see how, now that Smart has gone back to offering Bitstream, how they will adapt their T&C in regards contention/congestion, as customers on congested Eircom exchanges will suffer from it.

• Advertisement

I do think that is a bit misleading when an ISP, such as Smart or Magnet, say they offer an uncontented service when there are only two ways they can offer one, either by limiting the amount of customers per exchange/node to the maximum their GigE's can cope with or by, well, that's about it.

As well as is misleading to say unlimited when it isnt or up to 7.6 mb or up to 24 mb...

All this is just a marketing game

Well if it is uncontented I should be getting 100% of my bandwidth all the time, 24/7, removing overhead and giving it a small margin for error I test the connection using several methods/sites and compare the results.

There is no contention (in any real sense) on an uncontended residential LLU line. If you are not getting the full 100% its most likely distance from the exchange or line quality.

I have to reiterate a small misunderstood fact....OUR UNLIMITED POLICY IS NOT ALL MARKETING....we have never (to my knowledge) throttled any customer nor have we ever charged any residential customer out of bundle rates like other suppliers, yes we have a fair usage policy but please understand that this is primarily a small precaution on our side.

There is no contention (in any real sense) on an uncontended residential LLU line. If you are not getting the full 100% its most likely distance from the exchange or line quality.

I have to reiterate a small misunderstood fact....OUR UNLIMITED POLICY IS NOT ALL MARKETING....we have never (to my knowledge) throttled any customer nor have we ever charged any residential customer out of bundle rates like other suppliers, yes we have a fair usage policy but please understand that this is primarily a small precaution on our side.

Actually I wasnt referring to Magnet in what regards the "Unlimited" part...

So how many customers do Magnet have per exchange?

As I said to you I am pretty happy with their service, especially FTTH I think is brilliant and light years ahead to everyone elses.

Most of the time I get 99% of the speed, most of the time. But I know how much it costs to provide a real uncontented service and believe me is much more than the 99 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Just to update it seems to have sorted itself out. I remember the same thing happening to me on the Belcamp exchange before we went to 24mb so unless the are upgrading the Coolock exchange?

Actually I wasnt referring to Magnet in what regards the "Unlimited" part...

So how many customers do Magnet have per exchange?

As I said to you I am pretty happy with their service, especially FTTH I think is brilliant and light years ahead to everyone elses.

Most of the time I get 99% of the speed, most of the time. But I know how much it costs to provide a real uncontented service and believe me is much more than the 99 euro a month.

I know what your saying (And I really do appreciate the kind words) but for all intents and purposes the service is uncontended, we have more than enough backhaul support to facilitate all of our unbundled exchanges.

Magnet have spent time and money on reducing the contention on the unbundled service, almost no other ISP has done this and muddying the waters by saying its not really uncontended really dilutes the clear benefit that we are giving customers.

In short its not really justifiable to lump us in with other ISP's on this.

• Advertisement

I know what your saying (And I really do appreciate the kind words) but for all intents and purposes the service is uncontended, we have more than enough backhaul support to facilitate all of our unbundled exchanges.

Magnet have spent time and money on reducing the contention on the unbundled service, almost no other ISP has done this and muddying the waters by saying its not really uncontended really dilutes the clear benefit that we are giving customers.

In short its not really justifiable to lump us in with other ISP's on this.

I do understand your point of view, there is no point in continuing with this conversation as is getting us nowhere.

I am not muddying the waters, anyone would appreciate companies making such an effort of trying to remove congestion but it is not possible, I know it because I've been very involved in some of their network planning for sometime now.

In order for a company to provide uncontented service to all their customer you will need 1 GigE per each 52 customers.

Considering that, for example, a medium-large size Eircom ASAM has over 10000 potential customers, only a few of them will have bb but potentially all could.

Let's say that Magnet has just 1000 on one of their big exchanges, that would mean that they'll need a 20 gb pipe (that's a total of 2 STM-64), you can't really imagine how much that equipment costs, then you will have to upgrade the core network to take at least 20 gB plus the amount of traffic from all the other exchanges, afaik no network in Ireland has bandwidth to support this, not Irish Rails, ESBs, noone. In fact, on their web says that Magnet interconnects to their core network using 1 GigE, that's what most ISPs use on average.

The reason why magnet, and smart, can say they have an uncontented service is because the number of customer per exchange hasnt reached dangerous levels, sames as it could be said with BT and some of their LLU2 exchanges. But sooner or later, the number of customers will grow and it will become more and more difficult to hide this fact, they will either stop taking new customers or buy more bandwidth, which is very expensive, and not worth it.

If they'd do that they will go bankrupt pretty quickly.

Anyway, I understand your point of view, just remember this conversation for future reference ;) and for the moment, let's just say that the service is uncontented

Anyway, I understand your point of view, just remember this conversation for future reference ;) and for the moment, let's just say that the service is uncontented

Ok, that’s a fair point. I don't really want to argue with someone who enjoys our service, I just didn’t want us to be crudely lumped in with companies that conjure up porkie pies on a daily basis..

Ok, that’s a fair point. I don't really want to argue with someone who enjoys our service, I just didn’t want us to be crudely lumped in with companies that conjure up porkie pies on a daily basis..

I dont mind your opinion, no matter how bad this could end up (I am pretty easy going though, at the end of the day we are here just to enjoy, learn, and help whenever possible). This wont change the way I feel about Magnet either, I have a few friends working on their Tech Support department, one on ADSL2+ and the other on FTTH and I find your service excellent and, in many ways, an example to other ISPs. I wouldnt change ISP for nothing! :)

Advertisement